Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Slightly Futuristic Earthbound Novel

Author Topic: Slightly Futuristic Earthbound Novel
Jaz
Member # 2880

- posted      Profile for Jaz   Email Jaz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is set slightly into the future and there isn't too much technology change, but there are great social changes. It is set here on Earth.

It started as a short story and slowly expanded its way from 4,000 words into 18,000 words and now hopefully into a full novel.

Thanks for reading.

Jaz
----

Mandy hadn’t wanted to watch the trial, or its aftermath, but she had to. There was no other choice. They had made her. The Little Man sat next to her as the man known to her as Andrew Peters, and to the rest of the world as Andrew Richards was on the stand confessing to all that they said that he did and all that they said that he was. The Little Man sat next to her as Andrew Richards was sentenced to death by the Government Tribunal. The Little Man sat next to her as the mixture of acid vapors was released into his execution chamber. And the Little Man sat next to her as the world cheered the death of a monster.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange, yet compelling. The repetition was strong in my opinion, in a good way. although I admit I had to read it twice to understand what was going on. I think this was due to the fact that I have been reading intros for about half an hour.

There is a strange anomolly in the first line which damaged me as a speed reader. "Hadn't wanted to.... but had to" was distracting as it seemed to be a contradiction. I would reword this to make it easier on the eye.

quote:
They had made her

This seems to be a device. In the MC POV, she knows who they are and it frustrates me as a reader that this is being witheld.

Otherwise, interesting. I would turn the page.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
I am having just a tad bit of trouble with the repetition of the Little Man....also if he sat next to her isn't your MC getting gassed too?...it's clear what's happening to you because you have the mind picture...set-up....for the one reading what you are painting it needs to be just as clear....sorry this just isn't working for me
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMPAglut
Member # 8484

- posted      Profile for AMPAglut           Edit/Delete Post 
I found this sentence too convoluted to follow without re-reading, detracting from the rest:

"The Little Man sat next to her as the man known to her as Andrew Peters, and to the rest of the world as Andrew Richards was on the stand confessing to all that they said that he did and all that they said that he was."

Too many 'man's and 'as's to keep track of easily. If it's possible, I'd break this up into more digestible pieces. In addition to being clearer, I think it would strengthen the effect of the repetition you employ later.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaz
Member # 2880

- posted      Profile for Jaz   Email Jaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the feedbacks. Here's a slight revision of the opening, let me know if this works better.

Jaz

---------
Mandy hadn’t wanted to watch the trial, or its aftermath, but she had to. There was no other choice. The Little Man had made her.
The Little Man sat next to her while the man known to her as Andrew Peters was on the stand confessing to all that the Government said he did and all they said he was. The Little Man sat next to her as he was sentenced to death by the Government Tribunal. The Little Man sat next to her as the mixture of acid vapors was released into his execution chamber. And the Little Man sat next to her as the world cheered the death of a Monster.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
The second is much clearer. The only sentence that was still ambiguous was "The Little Man sat next to her as he was sentenced to death by the Government Tribunal." On first reading I assume the he is the Little Man, but then I figured out you meant the other man. Maybe insert the name rather than the pronoun. Interesting beginning, I like it.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMPAglut
Member # 8484

- posted      Profile for AMPAglut           Edit/Delete Post 
Jaz, much clearer. I like.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.