Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » teaser.

Author Topic: teaser.
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
a small segment designed to get you hooked...

He notched his dagger as he walked away, and a half smile tugged his lips. He looked into the rain filled sky, and watched as lighting played across the clouds.
“One by one, the kings men fall.”
He turned and walked into the darkness, which swallowed him like a shadow.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Is this your first few lines of a novel, or a segment that you would put on a dust cover? Either way, I would like a name or at least a noun in place of the first “He”. It does give an effective snapshot to raise interest.

“notched his dagger” can go two ways—it sounds like he’s chalking up another victory (good) or like he’s damaging his weapon (not so smart).

“tugged at his lips”

There is a repetitive pattern that keeps grabbing my attention: He notched, and smiled. He looked, and watched. (I’d change the second sentence.)

Needs an apostrophe: king’s or kings’

Is this guy the person talking, or is someone else present? Needs a dialogue tag.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 30, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
...darkness swallowed him like a shadow.

So it should...darkness and shadows share a similar heritage; they both form where there is an absence of light. In fact one could say that they are one and the same thing, the only difference is that shadow usually has some light around it.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He notched his dagger as he walked away, and a half smile tugged his lips.

What happened here? Is he notching the handle of his dagger as a markign to denote another murder? Is he putting it away and smiling because he got a great deal at a flea market? Did he notch the edge of the blade being careless on a hard surface? This means too many things. You are withholding information from the reader. We need more details.

quote:
He looked into the rain filled sky, and watched as lighting played across the clouds.

Did you mean 'lightning' or is there sky lights illumniating from the ground?

quote:
“One by one, the kings men fall.”

I see your MC likes to speak in cliches

quote:
He turned and walked into the darkness, which swallowed him like a shadow.

This analogy does not work. They are too close and you use a weaker meaning as a simile for a stronger one. Besides shadows don't swallow. They cover. They shade. Darkness swallows. An ocean can swallow. Serpents swallow.
Swallow implies that he disappered, you really don't disappear in shadow. You may want to find another word for your analogy.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited July 06, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid there's not much here to keep my interest. Is this from the beginning of your story, or the middle, or...?

I have no context. Did he kill someone? Is he about to? Why should I care?

He notched his daggerWhy is he notching his dagger? Why would he damage the blade that way? as he walked away away from what?, and a half smile tugged his lips. He looked into the rain filled sky, and watched as lighting played across the clouds.
“One by one, the kings men fall.” so he murdered someone. that's something, at least.
He turned so he's going back the way he came? where's that? and walked more walking... hm.... into the darkness, which swallowed him like a shadow as well it should--darkness usually contains shadows.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I thought it was great for a teaser. Because if it's a teaser, we're not supposed to know everything, we're just supposed to want to. I also think that it's pretty obvious that he's notching his dagger as in "I just killed someone else, add another tally mark" kind of way, because nothing gives the impression that he's done something stupid to his knife or dagger or whatever, but there is evidence that he just killed someone. I liked it more than a lot of other stuff I've read lately; it was quick and vivid. I could see him (he's big and acary-looking), I could see the sky... I would turn the page.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.