Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » first attempt, no name atm

Author Topic: first attempt, no name atm
JasonHall
Member # 8723

- posted      Profile for JasonHall   Email JasonHall         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first lines:

[Arlan woke to the sound of Mosel's wings. He sat up, lit a candle for warmth as much as light, and glanced at the derelict birdcage. Empty since his birds death months ago, Arlan knew something was wrong. He heard the sound again. Icy threads of recognition wound about him. His throat constricted in remembered pain as he went to the hole the second arrow left and looked through. Soldiers on horseback with torches in their hands, the same hands that had gripped his neck and his mothers only weeks ago. Leaving him mute and motherless. He bent to shake his father awake and found him already awake, staring at him. The blossoming spot of red on the sheets told him the eyes stared, but did not see.]

Appreciate your time!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a little confused.

quote:
Arlan woke to the sound of Mosel's wings. first of all, who or what is Mosel and how does he know it is Mosel's wings. Secondly, what are the wings doing to make a sound, flapping? Finally, was it really Mosel's wings that woke him up? The birdcage is empty He sat up, lit a candle for warmth as much as light, and glanced at the derelict birdcage. Empty since his birds death months ago, Arlan knew something was wrong. How does he know something is wrong? Instinctively, or because ghost birds are waking him up? He heard the sound again. what sound? Bird wings flapping or an arrow being shot? Icy threads of recognition wound about him. His throat constricted in remembered pain as he went to the hole the second arrow left and looked through. A whole in what? In his house? or tent? or curtains? I really have no sense of where he is. Soldiers on horseback with torches in their hands, the same hands that had gripped his neck and his mothers only weeks ago. Are they close enough for him to see the hands, or are they just in the same uniform as the ones that killed his mother? Leaving him mute and motherless. He bent to shake his father awake and found him already awake, staring at him. Where is his father? Is he in the same room? The blossoming spot of red on the sheets told him the eyes stared, but did not see. I like this sentence. Nice imagery.

You may have an interesting story here. There definately is a lot of conflict, but you need to spend a little more time grounding the reader.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited July 22, 2009).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JasonHall
Member # 8723

- posted      Profile for JasonHall   Email JasonHall         Edit/Delete Post 
MAP: Thanks for your time and I understand what your telling me. I feel like I may have asked to much of the reader to make the same leaps I did... and must realize many, if not most, might make those leaps differently. The bit about the bird I'm thinking can go, without adding to it I'm not sure I can make it work and have it add something to the story. I'll redo it and post in a bit. Thanks again!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rexwell
Member # 8719

- posted      Profile for Rexwell   Email Rexwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just wanted to add my two cents.

I don't have a problem with the first line regarding Mosel's wings. He is explained when you say the birdcage is empty. The only suggestion I would make is to say that he woke to what "he thought" was the sound of Mosel's wings.

And I understand why he thought something was wrong. He thought he was woken up by Mosel's wings, but then remembered that Mosel was dead and the sound must be something else. Then when you say he heard the sound again, you can explain that it is actually distincitve from the sound of Mosel's wings.

The part about the hole does have to be explained. I thought the hole was in his throat until he went to look through it. And I wasn't clear whether or not the hole was old or new.

As to the soldiers' hands, you could might want to clarify how you know they are the same hands.

The father does have to be explained because he kind of pops up out of nowhere.

All in all, I think with a few clarifications, it is an interesting beginning. I don't mind a few mysteries in the start, as long as they are quickly explained in following paragraphs.

This is my first time commenting on someone's post, so take it with a grain of salt. Just wanted to weigh in.

[This message has been edited by Rexwell (edited July 22, 2009).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Arlan woke to the sound of Mosel's wings. He sat up, lit a candle for warmth as much as light, and glanced at the derelict birdcage. Empty since his birds needs the possessivedeath months ago, "Empty" is referring to Arlan here, which I don't think is what you want. The bird cage is empty, right?Arlan knew something was wrong. He heard the sound again okay, I understand that he knows something is wrong because he's hearing bird's wings when there are no birds.. Icy threads of recognition wound about him. His throat constricted in remembered pain as he went to the hole the second arrow left okay, this is where I get confused. Are these old arrow holes? Or are we to understand now that the sound of bird's wings weren't bird's wings at all but an arrow? If the latter, I would expect a completely different--and more powerful--response from himand looked through. Soldiers on horseback with torches in their hands what are these soldiers doing? Just hanging out? Riding somewhere? Coming for him?, the same hands that had gripped his neck and his mothers needs possessiveonly weeks ago. Leaving him mute and motherless. He bent to shake his father awake and found him already awake, staring at him. The blossoming spot of red on the sheets told him the eyes stared, but did not see kind of a weird way of putting it--for me, the obtuseness took away from the immediacy of the scene.

Okay, so we're to believe the sound of bird's wings were actually arrows flying through the wall? I don't think they sound remotely the same. Also, his somewhat cavalier reaction to the arrow hole made me think they were old holes, leaving me a little confused.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't have a problem with the first line regarding Mosel's wings. He is explained when you say the birdcage is empty. The only suggestion I would make is to say that he woke to what "he thought" was the sound of Mosel's wings.

This does make sense logically, but as I reader I pay close attention to what is said and not said because I assume that everything is done intentionally.

Saying "Mosel's wings" instead of "bird wings" makes me think that Mosel is important to the story, either a bird that was really loved by the Alran or that Mosel is not really dead.

Then when Mosel isn't mentioned directly in the line about the dead birds, it makes me think that Mosel is still alive because if Arlan loved Mosel more than the other birds, he should think of Mosel specifically.

So the way you have it written, I would be looking for a clarification of Mosel later in the story.

If my thinking is correct, then how you presented Mosel is just fine. You don't need to explain him in the first thirteen, but if Mosel really is just a dead bird that is never mentioned again, I will be annoyed when he is never explained. You should either take his name out and start with the Arlan waking to the sound of bird wings, or clarify that Mosel is dead when you mention the empty bird cage.

Also, I agree with Annepin. I am not sure if bird wings and an arrow would make the same sound. I think that contributed to my confusion.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited July 22, 2009).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.