Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » GALAXY OF HEROES

Author Topic: GALAXY OF HEROES
Gus Flory
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for Gus Flory   Email Gus Flory         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written a military SF novel and I'm looking for feedback.

It's 77,478 words. I've posted it to Scribd with the first third available for preview.

Here are the opening 13 lines of Galaxy of Heroes:

Chapter 1
Militarism

Torture is supposed to be painful, but this was ridiculous. It wasn’t as if he had anything of strategic or tactical value to tell them, either.
There’s no point, he thought. Death is preferable to hanging on any longer.
But then, it wasn’t in his nature to give in.
Abruptly, the pain ceased. Capt. Jace Spade fell to the floor in a ragged heap of bones.
Two Craaldan guards stood over him. They were all muscle and sinew, coated in form-fitting black body armor. Their yellow eyes looked down from behind faces of taut gray skin.
The guards reached down and scooped him up, dragging him from the armpits from his cell.

Scribd preview is here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20095746/Galaxy-of-Heroes

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, and congrats on the word count!

Hmm. It sounds like an interesting situation, but I don’t care about your character yet. It starts with words floating on the page, with no setting and no name. You told me this guy is in pain, but I don’t feel it yet. What hurts, and why? His musing is distant, disconnected from his physical experience. Other distancing factors that limit immersion: the phrase “he thought” and the delay in providing his name. (It sounds like you are attempting close 3rd POV.)

Personal preference nits:
Fell in a heap of bones: I imagined a skeleton, especially when compared with the fleshly guards. It seemed a bit too literal to me.

I’m not sure about “coated” – that makes me think of paint or lotion, something liquid or gooey that is applied, not clothing that is put on. Maybe that’s what you meant?

…dragging him by the armpits… seems like a better fit to me.

Edited to add: what MAP said. Yeah, that's what I meant.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited September 29, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely with Mrs. Brown.

I think this is a show don't tell moment. You tell us about his torture and pain, but you need to show us to draw us in and help us to emotionally connect with the character.

Show us how he is being tortured. Is he being poked with hot things, hanging from chains, getting his teeth extracted? Be more specific. Who is torturing him? Are they in the room or is he left all alone in some torturing device?

Also describe his pain and how it is affecting his mental state. Is he exhausted, barely concious or feeling every excruciating moment of the torture.

These are the details that will help us feel for the character and start making us care about them.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Flory
Member # 8816

Thank you for your suggestions.

I took them into consideration and updated some things in my e-book.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I took issue with "abruptly the pain ceased", does he have a neural shunt or something to stop the pain receptors? Was he administered an analgesic?

I think seeing the torture would definately be a better start point, and though pain can lessen it doesn't generally just stop, it lingers, radiates, throbs and wracks :-)

I read a bit online and it was very reminescent of the old Space Operas I loved when I was younger, it had a very pulpy feel to it.

I would suggest you change "coated" to something like "skinned" as another poster pointed out coated gives me the impression of being covered in grey gloopy snot, which I don't think was your intention.

I'd also look for areas where you say things like "walked briskly" and replace them with better single word descriptors like "marched" or "goosestepped" etc.

I did find it engaging though.

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited September 30, 2009).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Flory
Member # 8816

I appreciate your comments.
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have to agree with Mrs. Brown. I don't have any sympathy for the character and I have no idea what is going on with him other than it is very unpleasant and he had been reduced to bones but is constitutionally disinclined to 'give up'. But might if he could.

I was curious as to what sort of torture, too, and why. I love military SF though I rarely understand any of the science in it.

And sometimes the war scenes overpower everything and go on too long.

I would like to know this character a little better. What I did like was his pausing to consider his torture 'ridiculous' though it briefly made me think in the other direction. (feathers to the feet? cartoon marathons?) That word in that context gave me one interesting look at his character and I would like to see it enlarged upon; though you may have to step back from the torture chamber to do so.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.