Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Speaker

Author Topic: Speaker
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Archaelius heard a Whispering. At least, he thought he did. He still wasn’t as proficient at following the directions of his ancestors as his Master, which, of course, was one of the reasons why he was the one carrying most of their supplies across his back. Such was the lot of the apprentice, though Archaelius hadn’t quite caught on how it was supposed to help him learn magics. Ahead of him, Master Triarius strode forward, oblivious to the subtle prompting – if indeed that is what it had been.
“Master, I think we need to stop.”
Triarius didn’t even break his stride. “We stopped less than an hour ago. If we keep stopping, you can forget about attending the council, they’ll all be dead of old age by the time we arrive. I’ll be dead of old age, too, come to think of it.”

edit to include the PITCH:

A rebellion is brewing in Isyria. The wizards have long controlled the real reins of power, and a growing faction is ready to wrest them fully from the royal family. But not all agree that simply being the wisest in the Republic entitle them to rule. Archaelius, the apprentice of such a wizard, knows nothing of this. He merely wants to know where Kara, the mysterious woman is he rescued from execution, came from. When he learns a new way to manipulate the forces of magic, he inadvertently hands the rebellion their greatest weapon, and risks losing everything of value to him: his master, his profession, and even his view of the world. But after a failed assassination attempt, he finds nothing compares to his fear of losing Kara, who seems to be increasingly central to the oncoming war...

This is a very first draft. I'd appreciate knowing how it comes across. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Teraen (edited October 21, 2009).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Simple, I like this. No nits. I would read on.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it too.

Here are some nits.

quote:
Archaelius heard a Whispering. At least, he thought he did. He still wasn’t as proficient at following the directions of his ancestors as his Master, which, of course, was one of the reasons why he was the one carrying most of their supplies across his back. This second sentence is too long. I suggest splitting it. Such was the lot of the apprentice, although Archaelius hadn’t quite caught on (The part in italics was a little wordy, maybe change it to 'didn't know'?) how it was supposed to help him learn magics. Ahead of him, Master Triarius strode forward, oblivious to the subtle prompting – if indeed that is what it had been.
Triarius (wouldn't the POV character give his master a title even in thought?) didn’t even break his stride. “We stopped less than an hour ago. If we keep stopping, you can forget about attending the council, they’ll all be dead of old age by the time we arrive. I’ll be dead of old age, too, come to think of it.”

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited October 15, 2009).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

edit added to include pitch.
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
Archaelius heard a Whispering. At least, he thought he did. He still wasn’t as proficient at following the directions of his ancestors as his Master, which, of course, was one of the reasons why he was the one carrying most of their supplies across his back. Such was the lot of the apprentice, though Archaelius hadn’t quite caught on **to?** how it was supposed to help him learn magics. Ahead of him, Master Triarius strode forward, oblivious to the subtle prompting – if indeed that is what it had been.
Triarius didn’t even break his stride. “We stopped less than an hour ago. If we keep stopping, you can forget about attending the council, they’ll all be dead of old age by the time we arrive. I’ll be dead of old age, too, come to think of it.”
edit to include the PITCH:
***I like it. I would keep reading!

A rebellion is brewing in Isyria. The wizards have long controlled the real reins of power, and a growing faction is ready to wrest them fully from the royal family. **okay, I think I see. MOST of the reins of power are in wizardish hands already but some vestige remains in the hands of royalty? This is problematic for me. If the only power royalty has left is window dressing, do we care if it is stripped away? Who is paying taxes to support these royal parasites? Off with their heads!** But not all agree that simply being the wisest in the Republic entitle them to rule. **okay, being a wizard necessarily means being the wisest? If this is true, how could anyone possibly object? Off with those royal heads!** Archaelius, the apprentice of such a wizard, knows nothing of this. He merely wants to know where Kara, the mysterious woman is **(whom)** he rescued from execution, came from.**<==just a little awkward.** When he learns a new way to manipulate the forces of magic, he inadvertently hands the rebellion **sorry, the rebellion is the faction supporting the wizards getting the rest of the power from the royals? or the royals fighting back agaist the ones who already took the rest of it?** their greatest weapon, and risks losing everything of value to him: his master, his profession, and even his view of the world. But after a failed assassination attempt, he finds **(that)** nothing compares to his fear of losing Kara, who seems to be increasingly central to the oncoming war...

You know, I made these notes in the pitch without any real notion as to what a pitch is. Now I am thinking this is your proposal or query or something and can't be made much larger? If so, sorry!! If it has to be very brief it was probably fine as it was.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Wow. Did I really make those grammar errors? No more posting to Hatrack while taking notes in History...
Teraen
Member # 8612

Here's a revision of both, fixing those horrible mistakes...

UPDATE:

Archaelius heard a Whispering. At least, he thought he did. He still wasn’t as proficient at following the directions of his ancestors as his Master. Of course, that was one of the reasons why he was the one carrying most of their supplies across his back. Such was the lot of the apprentice, though Archaelius still didn't believe such menial labors would to help him learn magics. Ahead of him, Master Triarius strode forward, oblivious to the subtle prompting – if indeed that is what it had been.

Pitch (Yes, this is the short one-paragraph version I hope to include in a query...)

A rebellion is brewing in Isyria. The wizards have long desired the real reins of power, and a growing faction is ready to wrest them fully from the royal family. But not all agree that a mere position in the brotherhood entitle one to rule over the less fortunate. Archaelius, the apprentice of such a skeptic, knows nothing of this. But when he learns a new way to manipulate the forces of magic, he inadvertently hands the rebels their most powerful weapon, and risks losing everything of value to him: his master, his profession, and even his own life. After a failed assassination attempt, he finds that nothing compares to his fear of losing Kara, the mysterious woman who seems to be increasingly central to the oncoming war...

I edited this to emphasize the main character arch of Archaelius without having to delve so much into the political intrigues, which seems to distract from the previous version.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning,

Nice intro. My only thoughts are with the sentence -

"He still wasn’t as proficient at following the directions of his ancestors as his Master"

I stumbled a little in the reading and probably would have preferred something simple and specific like "the ancient spells" or "runes", whichever works for the story.

Also, beginning the sentence with something like "As his master repeatedly pointed out..." Would begin to establish an interesting relationship between the two characters that I would like to learn more about.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 8530

- posted      Profile for trance           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was really good. I would buy that story! No critiques here.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.