Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Demon

Author Topic: Demon
insectica411
Member # 8862

- posted      Profile for insectica411   Email insectica411         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first thirteen lines (I think) I don't want to tell too much about the story but rather see if the lead does it's job to draw you into the story. Please let me know what you think. I have plenty thick skin so please don't spare my feelings.

He burst into consciousness on a stone slab, coughing and sputtering water from his lungs. With a deep, desperate breath he screamed out in agony as his muscles tensed and his bones cracked.
The wave of pain passed leaving him panting, trying to remember how he gotten here, but every attempt to remember was met with stabbing pain in his head.
After some time, he slowly stood and took stock of his situation. He was on a coast with gulls flittering around rocky crags and drift wood lining the shore.
His eyes widened as he looked down to his feet and saw a perfect imprint of his body, as though the rock had been clay when he landed there.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things jump out at me.

Who is 'he'? He has a name and presumably he remembers that. That's how he'd think of himself.

If his bones cracked, how did he stand up? That threw me right back out of the suspension of disbelief.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless amnesia is a major theme in this story, I don't know if this is the best opening. It strikes me as a "when Bob woke up..."

... And its usually a bad idea to start with a character waking up. Maybe you could skip to the next event (does he wander around his surroundings? Interact with anyone?) and we can get bits and pieces of his awakening throughout whatever is going on...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
My comments/suggestions are in brackets []

He burst into consciousness [I think it might be okay to just say he came awake (or if he's been revived to say: he returned to consciousness). Burst doesn't show or tell me anything.]

With a deep, desperate breath he screamed out [use of "with a deep" here cannot allow for a scream at the same time. Deep implies breathing in. Perhaps say: After a deep and desperate breath...]

[Next I might combine the theme of the last four sentences, but using his sense of hearing first, then sight, then touch. Example: The wave of pain passed. He was left panting as the pain returned each time he tried to recall any memory of how he had gotten here. He gave up and lay still. He could hear waves crashing to shore. The shrill laughter of seagulls pierced the air. Were they mocking him?

He opened his eyes...(I think you get the idea of where I'm going. Email me if you want me to see more)]

Keep writing!

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. I do agree with others that the description of his pain (bones cracking, muscles tearing, etc) becomes less believable when he stands up almost immediately. I think you might dwell longer on how the pain passes if you wish to make this more palatable to the critically-minded reader.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Although this is a "waking up" opening, it does seem to do its job pretty well. The "muscles tearing/bones crakcing" issue has already been addressed - it would be a lot more convincing if he felt as IF his bones were cracking.

Driftwood is one word (in my experience).

I'd read on.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.