Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Hatched

Author Topic: Hatched
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I am looking for readers for my complete(62,000 words) YA Fantasy novel Hatched.

I need someone who can be honest, and clearly state where they became confused, or bored, what parts they wouldn't want their thirteen year old to read. I'm not looking for line edits, just a general, that was great, except for...

If you don't want to read the story, could you at least please tell me what it is about the story that doesn't interest you. I'm planning on submitting this story, and any little bit helps.

Here's a bit of information on the project.

HATCHED synopsis
The world is ruled by dragons, and the remaining humans live in the middle of a dragon war they don’t understand. Protecting the humans are the Dragon Guards, magic wielding humans who have a secret.
The guards are infected with a disease which gives them magic, only the more magic they use, the sooner they will turn dragon. All of the dragons were once humans, until they succumbed to the disease.
Boy crazy JOI is infected with the disease, and because of the strength of her human blood she has more access to magic than the other guards, and also will live longer before she hatches. She is placed in a position of leadership in the guard despite her gender and her lack of training. She falls for a young guard named CONNOR, and after he hatches, she is determined to find a cure for the disease in order to save him. Even if the answer comes from the dragons.
But when she finds out the cost of the cure will take her young brothers life, she has a choice to make that will determine the fate of humans everywhere.
HATCHED is a complete YA Fantasy at 62,000 words with sword fights, magic, and dragons, but no damsels in distress.

First thirteen,
Joi waited in the dark for the dragons to attack her village. Her leg trembled against the long tablecloth that hid her and her brothers underneath the family’s table, like the fort she used to play in as a child, when dragons were a myth only half-believed. Not creatures that stalked the night and took her father.
The village was silent, waiting for the signal from the guards that the dragons were within the walls. Joi laid her head back against the wooden table leg in the dark, and listened to her mother sing Caleb’s lullaby and the wind rage outside. Her five-year-old brother usually fought against all things that made him feel like a baby, but not on dragon nights. Mother’s quiet song comforted the entire family as they waited for the signal. And then the signal came, and there could be no comforting.

Thanks for reading,
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
It might not be my sort of thing, and I don't know that I have time to critique the full thing at the moment, but if you have a synopsis I will be happy to critique the plot that way.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sheena!
We've come full circle, haven't we?
Love the name Hatched. It fits so well.
I probably can't do you much good, since I already read it and liked it-though I don't remember Joi being boy crazy.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can send it to me in blocks of say 10,000 words or so, I'll have a look at it.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Wahoo!

What's your timeline? Would it be soon enough to get back to you in 4-5 weeks? If so, please send it to me--I'm expecting good things

Ruth

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Discipulus
Member # 9005

- posted      Profile for Discipulus   Email Discipulus         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind getting any sort of reply for oh, around two or three months, well... you game? I am.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

I'm so happy people responded.

@BenM, I can send you an outlined synopsis, if your interested.

@Melanie, I know! Thanks for mentioning the new title, I'm glad you like it.

@Meredith, I'll send you the first 10,000, does anyone else want it that way?

@Mrs Brown, I'm glad you noticed the story, I'm excited for you to read it. I hope you like it. How do you want it, in chapters, or the whole file and you read it at your leisure. I'm in no rush.

@Discipulus, again, I'm in no rush, so how would you like it?

Thanks for responding,
~Sheena

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited February 18, 2010).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I like this too, but it looks like you got plenty of readers. Maybe next time.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

More's the merrier, MAP. I'm happy to get as many people helping as are interested.
~Sheena

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea and the first 12.

I wonder about the boy crazy part? The war with giant fire breathing dragons would surely take precedence no? I'm not saying she shouldn't be boy crazy, but I'm not sold on the idea as part of the pitch is all I'm saying.

As for the last line, I suggest show don't tell.

"And then the signal came..."
Or did you mean "And when the signal came..."

Because if it's "then" I missed out on a lot of scene tension and action because the 14th line would be post signal.
If it's "when" - all good.

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a read.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Shimiqua,

I'll send you an e-mail.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look at it if you're still interested. You can e-mail me the book as a whole document. Do you have a preferred format (RTF, MS Word, etc.)?

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

I've sent it out to everyone who asked, and I am officially closed now for new readers.

You snooze you lose. :P

Thanks everyone who's reading and who volunteered.
~Sheena

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.