Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » BLOOD WILL TELL Synopsis, Part I

Author Topic: BLOOD WILL TELL Synopsis, Part I
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, since it was my suggestions, it's only fair that I play the guinea pig. So, here's part one of the synopsis for BLOOD WILL TELL. The other parts to follow shortly (I hope). All comments welcome.

quote:
Valeriah has plenty of problems of her own. To start off with, she’s half werewolf, lowest and most despised of the magical races of Chimeria. Without the ability to take wolf form, she’s still driven with manic energy and a taste for very rare red meat every full moon. That’s not bad enough. She’s also one-quarter unicorn. That gives her great healing powers, but it also forces her to be vegetarian at the new moon. Her life has always been complicated by trying to balance these conflicting sides of her nature.

When she learns that her grandfather is dying, Valeriah races home. Even for the short time the old wizard has left, it’s hard for her not to raise the old argument that drove her away and kept her away for eight years. Afraid of her need for revenge, her grandfather has refused to tell her the one thing she most wants to know. Who in Chimeria has the power to open and close portals? Valeriah wants to know this because she knows that an illicit portal was used to murder her parents and brothers when she was very young. With his last word her grandfather gives her the clue she has been searching for. “Dragons.” Dragons are the elite former rulers of Chimeria, more powerful than any wizard. How can a mere half-werewolf hope to battle dragons? She’s going to need help.

Would you read on? Click here.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited March 02, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her life has always been complicated by trying to balance these conflicting sides of her nature.

How is her condition any different from anyone that needs to regulate their diet? (Diabetes, celiac disease, etc). It is only slightly more complicated balancing two diets. I get different cravings all the time. I have a feeling there might be something more substantial than her diet fluctuating. Manic energy vs healing powers doesn't come across as conflicting to me.

I was going to comment more, but I am getting too tired to be useful. I'll try to get back to this later. (Or you can email it to me.)

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken S
Member # 9010

- posted      Profile for Ken S   Email Ken S         Edit/Delete Post 
Half Werewolf, 1/4 Unicorn and I'm assuming that the other 1/4 is Human (although please feel free to correct me if that's not right). Is the human part just along for the ride in this threesome or does it have anything to add to the internal conflict...Perhaps it is chafing at being forced one way or the other every month.

You were focusing on Diet in your synopsis but now that I think about it, I think that there should be more to it. You've told us that Unicorns are great healers while (and again I'm assuming on this) Werewolves tend to keep the healers in business Is this why she's conflicted?

I like the whole "Almost impossible" revenge idea. I'll have to follow that link you posted when I've got more time.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, nobody seems intrigued by the idea of a vegetarian werewolf. I'll take it out of the synopsis.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited March 08, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.