Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Convergence - first 13 - YA Science Fiction

Author Topic: Convergence - first 13 - YA Science Fiction
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 13 of my YA Sci-Fi project (that I talk about all the time, lol. Time to stop talking about it and do something!)

I'm looking for feedback around the speed of the opening. I've had some in-person writer's group crits that indicated I'm too slow to start, yet I think it's a genre issue, as the writers who felt that way are mostly mystery/thriller writers (they point out that a mystery almost always opens with a dead body...instahook!) This is also a milieu story (with an idea and character component mixed in, but the story starts and ends on the milieu points ala Orson Scott Card's Characters and Viewpoints MICE explanations.) I wonder if my in-person writer friends aren't as familiar with the idea of a milieu story.

At any rate - your feedback is appreciated!

---
The smell assaulted Anya when she stepped off the transport onto the space station Convergence. It was acidic and bit at her nose, antiseptic cleansers, new carpet, a metallic tang. Man-made. Nothing like the rich smells of her backyard. Scratch that. Former backyard. She exhaled a breath, not realizing she had been holding it, and followed her brother Tobias. They shuffled through the arrivals hall with the other hundred or so new Landers in their transport.

Their parents were off to one side with the adults. Tobias and Anya were crammed in with the kids, about forty. They’d been quarantined during the transport up, so this was Anya’s first chance to see the other people in their Landing group. She swept her eyes around hungrily, glad to have escaped the tedium of...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I think for a milieu story the pacing & focus is fine. There were a couple of places where I tripped up but they'll get refined over time anyway, I'm sure. The only thing I'd suggest might need more focus in the beginning is the YA aspect. The thing about the central character which your YA reader immediately identifies with - in most YA fiction I've read recently, that aspect is very strong in the opening.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
The pacing of this is just fine. Even Mickey Spillane sometimes took a couple of pages for the body to show up.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as speed is concerned it reads fine - I would characterize it as medium-to-fast paced. If you were to ask me whether I thought it was a murder mystery by the first 13 , I'd say no. But is that important in a mystery genre?

I think it's getting to be like a race - I just saw the murder mystery movie Edge of Darkness where three dead bodies showed up 15 secs into the movie! Now that's competition.

Maybe it's getting cliche - not every mystery story can be a Columbo/Law and order/CSI/Mentalist/Monk/Psych/Cold Case/NCIS where a dead body is delivered with in the first 6 pages of the script.

Maybe they want foreboding - little hints that not all is right... Personally i'd be more interested in the scifi while the murder-mystery would more of a plot event - kind of like in a Crichton novel, I don't think many of his books produced a body until much later (rising sun is probably the only exception.) Well, and you have the prologue to Jurassic park...

I dunno. Reads fine to me. Sorry wasn't much help.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

billaway, it's not a murder mystery. My in-person writer's group friends mostly write mystery or mystery-thrillers. They said the start is slow, but I think that's because a mystery (murder mystery in particular) has a specific instant hook of a dead body, lol.

This is a YA science fiction. It's a milieu story, which means it's about the weird new world the main character finds herself in (she moves with her family from earth to a large 10k person space station.) She has to either decide to suck it up and enjoy life, or be miserable...or so is one of the characteristics of a milieu story. I think my in-person writer's group friends aren't as familiar with this type of story (Clarke's RAMA series is an example of milieu stories. The whole story revolves around the weird location, more than anything else.)

But either way - I appreciate the feedback so far, thanks everyone! Seems like I'm in okay shape.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! How weird is that one of my projects is a murder mystery set on a space station?

But I need to teach myself how life is in space. What resources are you using as a reference to how space life will be like?

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

I came across this NASA study years ago, courtesy of some friends here at Hatrack, and it's been really helpful. If you google habited space/space living and the word NASA, you'll find some great NASA resources. You can also check with the National Space Society (they have a magazine - Ad Astra - that is pretty nifty.) If you're not from the US, your country may have a space society/agency with some interesting information as well.

Mostly, though, I make things up.

billawaboy
Member # 8182

I found this in my search on when astronaut first had to get used to living in a space station. Nice summary on some physiological changes

http://www.scienceclarified.com/scitech/Space-Stations/Living-in-Outer-Space.html

SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
The pacing is just fine. Do they stay in line for days or something? I adore SCIFI and this reads perfectly all right to me. I would definitely keep reading.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
kayti...checkout the murder mystery conference with Harley Jane Kozak...a bit pricey but how cool would that be to have her work with you on your manuscript for an entire week?

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/006001.html

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wum
Member # 9054

- posted      Profile for Wum   Email Wum         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello KayTi:

There are parts of the opening I love and some things you could improve. Here are my suggestions:

The smell assaulted Anya when she stepped off the transport onto the space station Convergence. (Good opening. Suggest combining this with the next sentence so that we get the acidic odor immediately, and shorten it up. Something like: "The antiseptic odor bit Anya's nostrils. New carpet. Metallic tangy walls. That sterile hospital stench." Also, some of the best authors will use fouls smells without ever describing the character's reactions to them. Here is an example: stale broccolli; a belly of sour onions, rotting seaweed, etc. That way your reader places herself in the moment and feels the emotion of the smell without you having to describe what reactions the smells evoke.)

It was acidic and bit at her nose, antiseptic cleansers, new carpet, a metallic tang. (Nice, but see above comments.)

Man-made. Nothing like the rich smells of her backyard. Scratch that. Former backyard.(Suggest hinting where her backyard is. Where is home?)

She exhaled a breath,(breath is obvious from exhale, so delete it.) not realizing she had been holding it, and followed her brother Tobias. They shuffled through the arrivals hall with the other hundred or so new Landers in their transport.

Their parents were off to one side with the adults. Tobias and Anya were crammed in with the kids, about forty. (Combine this with the previous sentence and find a way to weave Anya's emotion into the cramped quarters and the two separated groups).

They’d been quarantined during the transport up, so this was Anya’s first chance to see the other people in their Landing group. She swept her eyes around hungrily, glad to have escaped the tedium of...(Suggest showing, not telling here. Example: "So this is what the others in the Landing group looked like. The new faces wrinkled her mouth with a smile." Also, most agents will quickly dismiss a new author who overuses adverbs in the opening. Is there a verb that can kick "hungrily" in the behind? Something like "her eyes salivated over the crowd.")

(All in all, I would continue reading, and I want to learn more about Anya. Is there a way to tell us up front that she is escaping to, or away from, a better life? If there is, may I suggest you give us one line early on to set the milieu sooner.)

Good luck,
Wum

Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
These first 13 aren't too slow. I'm a little confused that anyone would think they are, but then, I'm not familiar with murder mysteries.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback, this is really helpful!

But why does everyone keep talking about murder mysteries? I think I wasn't clear. My writer's group members are mostly thriller/murder mystery writers. I think *THEY* don't understand genre specifics for sci-fi, particularly for a sci-fi milieu story (where the focus of the story is on the unusual place - in this case it's the girl moving to a very foreign environment - from earth to a space station.) I have gotten the feedback from them that they think I should put the primary story question up closer, in the first chapter if not in this first page. I'm feeling like I have to give the girl a chance to get on board before I introduce the main story question/the problem she spends most of the story trying to solve.

But I'm glad to get all this feedback, it's been really helpful. Thanks!

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant that it's not surprising that I don't understand the preferences of mystery writers. I mainly read science fiction and fantasy, so I fully expect to spend time gathering information on each story's world(s) and culture(s).

And, you're welcome.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Thanks aspirit, I think I misread your post and got myself more confused than I needed to be. You make the point I've been thinking about for a while - I think these writers just aren't as familiar with the way you need to get into the environment with a sci-fi or fantasy story for a little while, otherwise the story question is so ambiguous or lacking in so much detail as to be tricky (or you end up having to do so much flashback work to get back to the setup...) My story definitely doesn't read like a murder mystery. I'm further separated from them in that I'm writing for YA readers, who are a whole different ballgame than adult readers (although, to be fair to my writer's group critiques, I need to up the pacing as YA readers expect a fast pace.)

Either way, it's helpful to have such great feedback (even from my writer's group when it's not 100% on point, there's still much to learn from the feedback) and it's helping me polish this hopefully last rewrite.

bep1972
Member # 9070

- posted      Profile for bep1972   Email bep1972         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is definitely a strong start. I'm very interested in your story if you are looking for test readers, how far along are you? I'm sorry I don't have anything constructive yet, I think this is a great start.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Like everyone else, I like this and think it is a good start.

Nits.

quote:
The smell assaulted Anya when she stepped off the transport onto the space station Convergence. It was acidic and bit at her nose, antiseptic cleansers, new carpet, a metallic tang. (I know this is stylistic, but why a period before Man-made, why not a comma?) Man-made. Nothing like the rich smells of her backyard. Scratch that. (Same here, why a not a comma?) Former backyard. She exhaled a breath, not realizing she had been holding it, and followed her brother Tobias. They shuffled through the arrivals hall with the other hundred or so new Landers in their transport.

Their parents were off to one side with the adults. Tobias and Anya were crammed in with the kids, about forty. They’d been quarantined during the transport up, so this was Anya’s first chance to see the other people in their Landing group. She swept her eyes around hungrily (Hungrily seems a bit strong here, what about curiously or eagerly?, glad to have escaped the tedium of...

That is all I could find. I always have a hard time finding nits when I am enjoying the story. Nice job.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited April 13, 2010).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bep1972
Member # 9070

- posted      Profile for bep1972   Email bep1972         Edit/Delete Post 
I really dig the staccato of the periods, just to weigh in against MAP a bit there Reminiscent of James Ellroy almost and totally awesome. When well done, as I think this is, I love the intensity of short breaths pushed out one after another. I don't know anything at all though, except what I like.

[This message has been edited by bep1972 (edited April 13, 2010).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Thanks bep & MAP. MAP - you're right, it's a stylistic thing. It's a YA work, her attitude is supposed to come off in her reactions to things. When I'm in her head, that's how the description comes out, know what I mean?

I've had more than one person laser in on that one stinking adverb, so I think I'll reword the sentence to eliminate it. No sense potentially annoying editors. The idea, though, is she's been cooped up with just her family for the journey/quarantine period. She's seriously HUNGRY for people other than her family, even as she's also busy putting on the morose teenager front for her parents. But it might be that that hungry for others thing is not as important as the other things I'm setting up in the first few paragraphs - where she is, that she's pissy about being there, and then (before the end of the first chapter) that she has this kind of weird way with computers.

Bap - this is the first few lines of a completed novel, but it's in a state of disrepair because I've done one full editing run, but am midway through a second, even while I also know of several changes to make to the early parts of the story. So I'm in the middle of both the second and third editing passes, if that makes any sense, which has me somewhat paralyzed because I know what i need to do but there's a lot and it's kind of complex and I'm just procrastinating! Terrible, I need to get cracking.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.