Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Eye of a Shadow - 13 lines

Author Topic: Eye of a Shadow - 13 lines
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I know I have several posts in this forum, but that's only because I've been able to write a lot more lately. I haven't been working on "Eye of a Shadow" much, but here are my new 13 lines. I hope these are better than the others I've posted in the past. Let me know, please, if they are getting better, or if they're getting worse.

Thank You.

Everything was perfect for Devon before Hicks showed up.
When he arrived, Kingsbridge University became hell: there were several suicides, murders, and unexplainable happenings that put fear in Devon’s heart. He questioned if Hicks was somehow part of these happenings, because there was something peculiar about that man that told Devon he was up to no good. Maybe it was the red glass eye he had, the eye taking on the appearance of a painting, one that would follow his every movement wherever he went. It got worse when Lee, his original calulus professor, was brutally murdered and replaced by Jonathon Hicks himself.
“Oh, my God,” Devon had said with large eyes, sitting beside Kameron Ramos, his best friend, in the classroom, “Lee’s dead,”

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, much better. Very hooky.

My only complaint is at the end we don't know what Devon is reacting to. How does he know Lee is dead? Does he read it in the school paper, hear it whispered by the other students, or does Hicks walk in instead of Lee and he just knows?

Just a quick line before the dialog starts should do it.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
lol. Thank you MAP. And the reason you don't know what Devon is reacting to is because that is on line 14, if I remember corrctly.

Anyway thank you. I'll work on that last part.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the eye taking on the appearance of a painting, one that would follow his every movement wherever he went.

I like this.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wum
Member # 9054

- posted      Profile for Wum   Email Wum         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi XD:

I liked this too and would read on.

Just a few nits:
1. Misspelled calculus.
2. Show us how it put fear in Devon's heart.
3. I like the red glass eye line.
4. Suggest you rework the last sentence for clarity, something like: Devon's best friend, Kameron Ramos, looked startled by the news: "Oh my God," Devon told him, "Lee is dead."

Good Luck,
Wum

Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.