Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Here's Johnny!

Author Topic: Here's Johnny!
mr. riggles
Member # 9101

- posted      Profile for mr. riggles   Email mr. riggles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I am quite new to this place, but am eager to share an example of my work. The following is the first one and a half paragraphs of a fresh idea I have been brewing. Hope you all enjoy!

John Reginald Smith II was born on a cold, windy gray sort of day in late October of 1983 to his exhausted mother, Esmerelda Smith and ecstatic father, John Smith I. It had been prearranged that Esmerelda and John’s first son be named after his father, and so it was without further ado that the screaming, slimy newborn had adopted the most common and uninteresting moniker in all of the Western world.

John and Esmerelda lived in a small village in southeastern Manitoba, Canada called Carson. Johnny was born in the nearest hospital available - a rather modern and bustling facility entitled Saint Kenneth Memorial in the nearby prairie metropolis of Winnipeg. John I had insisted Esmerelda consider contracting the services of a midwife, who would negotiate the

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 27, 2010).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigMc
Member # 9104

- posted      Profile for CraigMc   Email CraigMc         Edit/Delete Post 
You're giving allot of good information about setting and tone but perhaps not enough conflict or hint at future conflict to keep my interest. By pointing out how uninteresting his name is, I assume there must be something interesting about him but I don't get that in these lines. I think your writing is good though. Keep it up.
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mr. Riggles,

The problem with reading about an uninteresting man in an uninteresting situation is that it is…uninteresting. An uninteresting man in an interesting situation is something different and this is what I think you probably want to do.

The 1st 13 strikes me as throat-clearing (i.e. warming up before the real story starts) and it also leaves the reader almost no work to do because you’re telling us everything. There’s no emotional impact in listing the facts of his birth and I’m not convinced by the characters on a deep level because it’s a surface argument; you’ve telling me what’s happened, not showing me.

Start the story just before the moment where John Reginald Smith’s III’s life changes in some irreversible way. Maybe you can give us a threat (existential, metaphoric, physical) to his deeply uninteresting life, but you need to give us a reason to want to know what happens next.

If he’s a deeply common uninteresting man and that’s the point you want to make, show us this by contrasting him against the dramatic events in the story.

Nick T

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the style and the writing. I could read this all day.

While not disagreeing with Nick T, I'd like to add that to me, it doesn't matter what's happening. Granted, this is not what you want for the larger audience, but the writing was brilliant. If you can keep this up, you're on track.

I'm curious as to the length of, and age group of this story...

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr. riggles
Member # 9101

- posted      Profile for mr. riggles   Email mr. riggles         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback! I understand that "showing" is better than "telling", and I have done so, except the part when it was starting to get good (and the conflict) happens pretty much right when the moderator cut my 13 lines off. This story is about a very interesting (albeit boring in many ways) character, and his evolution into adulthood and beyond. I have not decided what his ultimate purpose is, however I wanted to use his character to show how someone like him can influence those around him, whether positively or negatively. Once again, thanks for the feedback everyone!
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rahmuss
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for rahmuss   Email rahmuss         Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to this, so don't take my feedback as important. I'm hoping to get feedback on my feedback so that I can learn.

I got a little lost as to the 'who is who' for a bit. I couldn't tell if it was going back to the birth of John II, or John III (though I easily get lost). Also, I suggest establishing the character first before bringing the other Johns into the script, otherwise you may have to get creative in how to denote each John other than using I, II, and III.

It does sound like an interesting story (about a boring guy?) though, so go for it.

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macmicool
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to this, but I'd like to give my input. If I were writing about a normal average 'John', pun intended, I would want to start with some of his personality. I.E. What would his thoughts be. Does he regret being so...ordinary? Is he satisfied with the status quo? Personally I have found that most people try to break from ordinary, what would make this character different, or is he?

I know you only have 13 lines, but you can do a whole lot in that short span to make you readers like your character and set the stage for us to want more.

That said I think your beginning is very good, and I love the idea of a seemingly ordinary person influencing important things around him. People seem to forget that and it is important that we remember both the positive and negative effects.

Please continue.
Mike

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.