Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Open Discussions About Writing.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Question on First 13

Author Topic: Question on First 13
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it essential for the first 13 lines to identify the genre you are writing? My current WIP does not; the reader is well into the first chapter before anything unusual occurs. Please be kind as I am new here.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
In a book I don't think you have to have the genre established in the first thirteen, maybe the first chapter, but you could get away with even putting it later. Your readers will most likely know the genre before they buy the book and the blurb on the back will fill in everyone else.

If you are writing a short story for the Writer's of the Future contest then you might want to establish the genre in the first thirteen or shortly afterward. In other short stories it might be nice, but isn't essential.

Oh, and welcome to Hatrack. This would be a good post to put in the writing discussion section, but no worries.

[This message has been edited by satate (edited August 15, 2010).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be watching this post with interest, I had been wondering the same thing. I was worried my story might be moving too slow because the actual fantasy type things in my novel didn't start happening until later in the first chapter. My take on it was that it is best to have some sort of hook in the first 13 lines, something that will make the reader want to keep reading but it didn't have to be the actual unusual/fantastical thing that happens in the book?
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm moving this topic over to the Open Discussions on Writing area.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.