Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » "Cundiyo"

Author Topic: "Cundiyo"
chalkdustfairy
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for chalkdustfairy   Email chalkdustfairy         Edit/Delete Post 
(I decided to edit this post to include the summary I previously posted)

The MC finds herself stuck in the middle of nowhere, a small isolated Northern New Mexican village called Cundiyo, where her husband moved the family and opens a gallery in Santa Fe. When her husband is home on his deathbed with cancer, he makes a devastating confession that he has been having a longtime affair with his gallery business partner, with whom he had a child. The family returns to Cundiyo after taking his body back east for burial to discover that the studio has been ransacked and robbed and the gallery willed to the mistress/business partner. With nothing but an old adobe house to her name, the MC takes a teaching position at the 'one room' school that serves the surrounding area in order to support her three kids. To cope with her feelings of having lived a lie, being abandoned, frightened and an outsider, she often retreats to the ruins of an ancient Anasazi pueblo on the hill above her home. Here she begins to have 'mystical' experiences where she sees an Indian woman going through the motions of her daily life in the pueblo. The woman is aware of her and at first says nothing, but with time, the MC sees the pueblo as it once was and the two women become each other's confidants.

I'm thinking about beginning the story, "Cundiyo", with this scene, first person POV:

Have you ever thought it would be better if your hope just died, once and for all, rather than constantly resurrecting itself on the faintest glowing ash of dying embers?
I used to, but that was when there were still embers. Even despair knows the power in hope.
Now there is nothing but cold gray soot in an earthenware jar.
This is what remains of the past fifteen years; the contents of this jar, the three children in the car, and a ramshackle house in the middle of nowhere.
A little hope is better than nothing. That's one thing I know.

[This message has been edited by chalkdustfairy (edited September 01, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by chalkdustfairy (edited September 01, 2010).]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I tripped over that first line but I would read on. I'm intrigued. I want to know who's in the jar and how they got there
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, tripped on the first line, and the last--because they are contradictory. However, I would read on. Your character's voice and situation is effectively presented.

I would consider omitting/rewriting the following in bold, both for sentence flow. The bracketed sentences seemed unessential and/or out of place to me:

Have you ever thought it would be better if your hope just died, once and for all, rather than constantly resurrecting itself on the faintest glowing ash of dying embers?

I used to, but that was when there were still embers. [Even despair knows the power in hope.]

Now there is nothing but cold gray soot in an earthenware jar.
This is what remains of the past fifteen years; the contents of this jar, the three children in the car, and a ramshackle house in the middle of nowhere.

[A little hope is better than nothing. That's one thing I know.]

Your protagonist raises the question of giving up hope.
Why?
She/he has already concluded the answer is: "No."

Respectfully,
History

[This message has been edited by History (edited September 01, 2010).]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, again I would read on. The opening paragraphs have a poetic feel. Cundiyo looked weird to my English eyes but google tell me its a place in New Mexico so I can live with it lol

Just a small suggestion if you make it all one paragraph except the final line I think it will flow better when reading and less likely to trip people up as the change of paragraph will signal the change of direction.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chalkdustfairy
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for chalkdustfairy   Email chalkdustfairy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. I made some of the changes...still thinking on the others.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.