Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Someone Else's Life

Author Topic: Someone Else's Life
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is completed but still needing timeline and some editing. Any help advice etc appreciated, anyone wanting to read on is welcome. It is a young adult fantasy fiction novel. Anyone with any martial arts experience would be particularly welcome to look over a couple of scenes for me.

quote:
'Angus!' My Father's angry holler disturbs my late afternoon nap, damn he must have discovered I wasn't at school. Pretending not to be in my room, I place a pillow over my head.
'Angus, either you come out here or I will come in there and drag you out!' This shout is even louder than the last one. The pillow is useless. I am six foot ten and built like a behemoth, doubt he can drag me. Then panic sets in, he can't come in my room. This is my sanctuary, my area of control.
'Alright, Dad just chill. I'll get dressed and come out or shall we do this with me in the raw?' I holler back. He doesn't give me the satisfaction of a response. Slowly stretching, I stand up and brush my long unwashed blonde hair out of my eyes. My hair is a major source of contention between my Dad and I.

[This message has been edited by Kimlin (edited September 01, 2010).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you're right. You do need to clean it up a bit. Interesting beginning. May I read the rest? I'd like to offer a better crit.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a cliche. As for the overall thirteen lines, I like it. I would read on. I have 'some" martial arts experience, as far as martial arts is concerned. I'll take a look at a small partial for you, perhaps the first chapter or two.

I'll give you a better critique after I read your first two chapters.

Good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

Is it the smelly rebellious teen arguing with his dad that seems cliche?
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apemantus
Member # 9204

- posted      Profile for Apemantus   Email Apemantus         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, you've got enough good content here to keep someone reading. The physicality of Angus, particularly the 6'10" height and long hair, inspires a intriguing visual. IMO, it is too early to judge it as cliche.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

Thanks Aside from his physical appearence main aim is to have him a normal teenager. It needs to be almost cliche for the first chapter.
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant as a cliche was him waking up, or in bed, as a cliche. I didn't look at underneath.

Sorry for not clarifying it better.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

Ahh thanks think I will keep that cliche it works well The pillow feels important somehow.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.