Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Untitled Revenge

Author Topic: Untitled Revenge
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks. Don't have much to say here, so I'll just get to it. I'm not certain I like the first paragraph, but I've yet to find a replacement. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Quoted for ease of reading.

quote:
Ornell watched four shadowed men inch closer; he tensed. They were silhouettes against the foggy gray sky. Light from the full moon meagerly pierced through the veil of black clouds.

“What do we do?” Little Alric said.

Ornell wrapped his arm around the boy. “We wait. Remember your training.”

Tallgrass rustled, revealing bits of shadowed cloth, hair, and gnarled limbs. The stench of rotted flesh became more than apparent. Nighthorns. Abominations.

Curse the oath, Ornell thought. If life were balance--Karma--Then why for the wretched Oath had these bastards come so far west?

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting beginning. You captured my interest by having a kid in an obviously horrifying situation. I hope he lives.

I think the first paragraph could use a little rearranging and tightening.

quote:
Ornell watched four shadowed men inch closer; he tensed. They were silhouettes against the foggy gray sky. Light from the full moon meagerly pierced through the veil of black clouds.

If you move a few things around, you can have a tighter paragraph without loosing any details. For example:

quote:
Light from the full moon pierced through the veil of black clouds. Ornell watched four silhouettes inch closer; he tensed.

I didn't write a single word; I only rearranged them. I moved the light sentence first because it makes sense that the full moon was what allowed Ornell to see the shadow men. I also thought it is better to describe what he saw rather than call them shadow men and then describe them. You can tell us they are shadow men later. I also removed a few adjectives and phrases that I thought slowed the pacing, but I am a minimalist.

The rest was good.

JMO, good luck with this.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited September 14, 2010).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Thanks, MAP. Those are all great suggestions. I'll definitely change the first paragraph now.
Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Could you clarify for me. Are they night horns, or night thorns? Nighthorns just confused me.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Night-horns. I may change the name in the final draft, as I don't think it gives quite the right image.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.