Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » MAGE STORM Synopsis

Author Topic: MAGE STORM Synopsis
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rell lives in a world where magic is dead. As far as he's concerned that's a good thing, considering the damage it did during the Great Mage War. All he has to do is look at the Blighted Forest or run to shelter from a mage storm, composed of the ashes of the mages killed in the war, to understand just how dangerous magic can be.
When Rell is caught in a mage storm, he discovers a previously unsuspected ability to work magic. This gift allows the boy to shield his extended family from the horrors of the storm, but the aftermath leaves him sick and weak.
Worse, magic turns out to be a mixed blessing. Rell can't control it. He can't call on it when he wants it, but strong emotions bring it out whether he wants it or not.

Any body willing to read the whole thing? Approximately 1150 words.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'll give it a read!

I need to start working my synopsis muscles. I think I'm going to work on an entry for your query challenge too

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
feel free to send it my way also.

eyegore

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Meredith,
I love reading your stuff, it's always pretty good. I'd be happy to take a look again. Feel free to send it my way as well.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to critique an 1100 word synopsis.
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Meredith,

Be happy to take a look at the whole thing as well.

From what I've read here, I think your first three lines are a good start.

I felt the next few lines to be less engaging as you go into the the details of the how the magic damaged the world. I think there is a bit of telling there.

I think you might be better off jumping directly to "When Rell is caught...

So you might have something like this:

"Rell lives in a world where magic is dead. As far as he's concerned that's a good thing, considering the damage it did during the Great Mage War.
When Rell discovers unsuspected magical abilities in himself while caught in a mage storm..."

I think this will more directly show the irony of someone who hates magic discovering magical talent in himself. You could possibly even get into (briefly) how he feels about it.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited December 03, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.