Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The Wonderful Instrument

Author Topic: The Wonderful Instrument
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for partners to exchange critiques, preferably of finished works. The Wonderful Instrument is the first volume of a trilogy which is currently in a rough but complete draft of 99 thousand words. A summary and 13 line excerpt follow. Critiques of the summary and lines are welcome as well.

Summary:

"A dashing but insecure young political refugee befriends a strange and friendless boy, not realizing that boy is a modern Frankenstein's monster."

The Wonderful Instrument is a satirical fantasy set in an in an alternate 1930s Boston where our Victorian romances are historical fact. Yet these 1930s closely resemble ours, which are almost too outlandish to caricature. Common sense is no guide to these times; common sense is on hiatus. It is the golden age of humbug. The Wonderful Instrument satirizes the vicious, woolly-headed thinking of the era through a cast of larger than life characters whose problems, while outlandish, are rooted in the familiar dilemmas of friendship and love.

The brilliant Dr. Chin is the liberal arts' answer to Dr. Frankenstein. Dr. Chin's methods are educational rather than biomedical, but his results are no less astounding. His monster Hector towers over ordinary mortals physically and mentally, but Dr. Chin is no Frankenstein. His Confucian "superior man" was created not to be superior, but to elevate those around him. On those terms the experiment is a failure. The 1930s are the heyday of eugenics, and by the values of the era Hector might be justified in regarding the people around him as little more than semi-intelligent animals. His life of harsh discipline affords him no connection to others. Despite his best efforts, Dr. Chin may have created, not just a monster, but one whose sophisticated insights into human affairs enable it to move through society unchecked. Dr. Chin needs a tool to reveal Hector's true nature, and he's found just the thing in Maximilian.

At sixteen, Maximilian is already an accomplished and callous young Lothario. He is shallow, selfish and impulsive, yet somehow likable. When his scandalous behavior gets him thrown out of his military school, he is sent to ultra-liberal Plumfield. The young scoundrel strikes up an unlikely friendship with the inhumanly virtuous Hector. Feeling secure, Maximilian returns to his old tricks, seducing the meek but radiantly beautiful Summer. When that proves too easy to sustain his interest, he turns his attentions to pretty but pugnacious Nellie, Summer's formidable self-appointed protector. Hector struggles with Maximilian's romantic misadventures, but is unexpectedly drawn into them. When Maximilian's old enemies arrive from Europe, Hector must guide Maximilian to victory, although that means defeat for himself. He is tormented by a recurring dream of the Wonderful Instrument, but does not understand: everyone has his own personal Wonderful Instrument. It's that part of us we owe the world, but are afraid to reveal. Hector's Wonderful Instrument is his love for Nellie. To set things right he must use that instrument, but first he must learn that some things have a claim on him that comes before honor, friendship, or even love.

Thirteen Line Excerpt:

Amerigo sat waiting in the dark, guarding the child. He'd put it to bed in traveling clothes.

He sat away from the windows. He didn't draw the shades. When you drew the shades you had to twitch them aside if you wanted to see. Then they knew you were watching them, watching you.

He faced the door of the apartment, in a straight-backed wooden chair. He hand rested on a pistol which lay in his lap. The pistol was reassuring. It was beneath Amerigo's dignity to nursemaid a child, and he wouldn't have done it for any other child but this one. This was the son of his precious Donka, and she the daughter of his comrade Karol Wroclav.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! I'll post my thoughts after the quoted sections, as always, they are intended to help, not hurt!

quote:

Amerigo sat waiting in the dark, guarding the child. He'd put it to bed in traveling clothes.

Sitting and waiting don't make for a very active or engaging start. I did the same in one of my stories once and sort of got the same reply from several readers. Guarding, on the other hand, is more intriguing, as it implies conflict. I suggest "Amerigo guarded the child in the dark."

Secondly, I'm guessing you are going for this effect, but I felt Amerigo was pretty cold to refer to the child as 'it'. It made me not like him too much. That may be okay, if thats what you are going for, but you may need to balance it with something likeable so the reader has a reason to sympathize with him.

quote:

He sat away from the windows. He didn't draw the shades. When you drew the shades you had to twitch them aside if you wanted to see. Then they knew you were watching them, watching you.

More sitting and telling of things he didn't do. I think there is too much devoted to the shades. Maybe combine the second and third sentences into a single one.

quote:

He faced the door of the apartment, in a straight-backed wooden chair. He hand rested on a pistol which lay in his lap. The pistol was reassuring. It was beneath Amerigo's dignity to nursemaid a child, and he wouldn't have done it for any other child but this one. This was the son of his precious Donka, and she the daughter of his comrade Karol Wroclav.

This has the same problem as above. You seem to be focusing on his stillness, with his hand resting on the pistol and him sitting in the chair. This doesn't build the tension one would feel if they think at any moment someone could bust the door down and attack.
Also, he seems to love Donka, and so perhaps he wouldn't refer to her son as 'it'.

My general recommendation would be to try and make the scene a bit more active and tense, even if you don't actually change what happens. For example, instead of his hand resting on the pistol, his finger could flick across the trigger, showing his anxiety. Instead of reflecting on why he didn't draw the shades, he could actually get up and peek through gaps in the shades. Build a little tension so the reader wants to keep reading.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Well, trust me, this first scene works, although possibly not as a 13 line hook. Amerigo's coldness is exactly what I want to convey here. He is cold, efficient and cynical, but he loves this child, who he will infect with his cynicism.

Looking at the first 13 lines is an interesting exercise. I think it's great to establish some kind of tension right up front that will give a reason to read on, but I don't think one should pack too much action into it. That's the kind of advice that is generally good, but possible to overdo. I've critiqued a number of first chapters that were jam packed with action, and I don't think they work because we don't really have a reason to be engaged in that action. It's too much information to process before we know what's going on, in my opinion.

What I'm trying for here is an atmosphere of impending menace, but when that menace comes it will come *from* Amerigo, not *at* him. Amerigo doesn't run around. Other people run around because of him, then he shoots them.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already got a full novel and some other crits for this month. Plus the query challenge. And coming off an absolutely crazy November between two full novels, the WotF critique group, and several other critiques.

But, I suggest you join the Novel Support Group (NSG) in Hatrack Groups and ask for a chapter exchange. It may take a week or two, but generally someone will offer.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Well, all feedback is a matter of opinion (unless you hear the same thing from multiple people), but a published author won't be able to explain to a reader in some far off place why a scene works. It either works for the reader or it doesn't.

I didn't really feel impending menace, either from Amerigo or from the people he is protecting the child from. I really am not saying you should have an 'action' start, I'm saying that Amerigo feels passive to me in this scene, because of the way things are worded (sitting, resting, etc...)

Since it is a novel, you probably don't HAVE to hook in the first 13 lines.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Well, Osiris, I know its bad form to contradict people who are kind enough to offer a critique, but I'm confident my first chapter is very strong. I've run it past several professional writers and writing coaches I know, and have got extremely positive feedback, although naturally everybody has something they'd have done slightly differently. I did my homework on first chapters before attempting mine, which came relatively late in the drafting process. While I'm open to changing the first chapter, I'm not going to redraft it to try to seal the deal with the reader in the first thirteen lines, because I don't think that can be done.

Now the 13 line analysis is a very interesting one, and I went back and looked at a number of very good published books and very bad unpublished manuscripts I've been asked to critique, and I'd say you can learn a surprising amount about the bad ones just from those 13 lines. You see awkward dialog, bad grammar, adverb abuse, and too much dry world-building ancient history stuffed right into the very first sentence. The one common denominator of bad opening is perhaps oversell, the writer straining to convince you that this story is absolutely amazing.

I think it's harder to make generalizations about the first thirteen lines of good books, other than they don't display serious defects of craft or grammar. Sometimes they start with a hook, but not always, and I think it's safe to say the hook is never enough to make you commit to reading another hundred thousand words, only perhaps a few more pages. The one common denominator is that good stories are told from the outset in clean, confident, un-gimmicky prose.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02 about openings. I see how a reasonable argument can be made that if your novel manuscript is sitting in an enormous slushpile, you want to do everything you can to grab and editor's eyeballs. From the feedback I've received, I'm confident with a good query I can get enough eyeballs through my first chapter to have a chance. What I really need is fine tuning later in the story, where scenes may not have a workable rhythm by being too dialog heavy, for example.

Lionhunter
Member # 8766

- posted      Profile for Lionhunter   Email Lionhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I would do:
"When you drew the shades you had to twitch them aside if you wanted to see. Then they knew you were watching them, watching you. Amerigo sat in the darkness, away from the windows, guarding the child. He'd put him to bed in traveling clothes. Hours passed.
Amerigo faced the door of the apartment, in a straight-backed wooden chair, his hand resting on a pistol which lay in his lap. He wouldn't have done this for any other child but this one. This was the son of his precious Donka, the daughter of his comrade Karol Wroclav."

Why?

"When you drew the shades you had to twitch them aside if you wanted to see. Then they knew you were watching them, watching you."
This screams at me to be used as an opening image.

"Amerigo sat waiting in the dark" and "He sat away from the windows" are slightly redundant, and while they give out spatial info about the characters and setting, they are not that strong from a written perspective to be presented in separate sentences. You could them in one shoot.

"The pistol was reassuring. It was beneath Amerigo's dignity to nursemaid a child"
The pistol was reassuring feels slightly off. Can't really explain why. "It was beneath" breaks the flow of the atmo, atleast this is how it feels to me.

Is it interesting? Yes.
Does it have a strong hook? Not really, can't say that it really grabbed me, but as a reader, I'd take a look at some more pages.

[This message has been edited by Lionhunter (edited December 04, 2010).]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several reasons for posting the first 13 lines here on the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum, and feedback on the actual text is only one of them.

Another reason is to help those giving the feedback decide whether or not they want to volunteer to give feedback on the whole story, or in the case of book-length manuscripts, the whole chapter.

If, in the feedback, a Hatrack participant explains why he or she might not be interested in volunteering to read more, that can still be useful feedback, even if the author of the 13 lines doesn't feel the need to incorporate any of that particular feedback.

That said, you are right, MattLeo, it is rather poor form to contradict someone regarding their opinion (which is after all, as Osiris has pointed out, what feedback is).

No author of any 13 lines has to explain why he or she will not be using feedback received here on the forum. If an author uses it, the author uses it; if the author doesn't use it, the author doesn't use it.

All the author needs to do is say, "Thank you."

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 04, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Well, there's nothing like introducing yourself to a new community by violating its norms, I always say.

So "Thank you" all for your feedback. I really do appreciate it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, no problem.

We're all supposed to be here to learn, and the only ones who really cause problems are the ones who refuse to do that.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
We're all supposed to be here to learn, and the only ones who really cause problems are the ones who refuse to do that.

Reminds me of a certain persian/arabian proverb I have tacked to my writing station.

CherryCurtis
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for CherryCurtis   Email CherryCurtis         Edit/Delete Post 
Do share. I am new, and I need all the help and proverbs I can get!
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can all use Kathleen's proverb.

quote:

I'm putting THAT on my wall.

(with your permission, of course, Kathleen)

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear PB&Jenny,
Perhaps you would like the earlier version :

ãÌÆøÆêÀ àÁåÄéì, éÈùÑÈø áÌÀòÅéðÈéå; åÀùÑÉîÅòÇ ìÀòÅöÈä çÈëÈí.
The way of a fool is straight in his own eyes; but he that is wise hearkeneth unto counsel.
--Mishlei (Proverbs) 12:15

Respectfully,
History

P.S. MattLeo, if you've "run it past several professional writers and writing coaches (you) know, and have got extremely positive feedback," what are you searching for here, where most are merely aspiring professional writers? If it is that good, should not your novel be before agents and editors instead?

* Unfortunately, the forum does not seemed to accept the Hebrew alphabet. If interested, see: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt2812.htm

[This message has been edited by History (edited December 16, 2010).]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Doc. I like that too.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

PB&Jenny, way to flatter the forum administrator.

Permission granted.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

History, when I heard that Solomon asked for an understanding heart, I thought to myself, "That's what I want, too." It's nice to see that my understanding might have a tiny bit of overlap with his. Thanks.
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Well History, I've imposed enough upon my professional literary friends, who generously volunteered to critique my first chapter. They're up to their eyeballs with people who'd love to get free manuscript doctoring, and while I could wheedle a complete read through from them, I'm not going to even think about doing that until I've got the manuscript critiqued by a second or third set of eyeballs. So I'm looking for people who want to exchange critiques of *completed* manuscripts. I posted the first thirteen lines of the manuscript because that's the custom here.

I know it sounds like I'm arrogant about my opening, but I've already received reliable and helpful editorial advice on that part. I'm reluctant to casually negate that advice by radically altering the atmosphere or pacing of the entire chapter based on someone's quick read through of the first thirteen lines.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
All the comments make me agree with Meredith. Sounds like a candidate for the Novel Support Group on down the bottom of the forum.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

I concur.
MattLeo, I believe this thread is misplaced, in regard to your request. You would be better served in the Hatrack Groups subforum where are our Novel Support Group (NSG) discussions.

The Fragments and Feedback subforums are for posting 13 lines (i.e.fragments) from a short story or book and receiving analysis, critique, and suggestions (i.e. feedback). Your response, as you were not interested in this feedback, has unfortunately been misconstrued as unappreciative. To have others dedicate their time to read and comment on one's writing (13 lines) is of value--be it as published authors, aspiring authors, editors, or readers. As you share, we cannot always impose on our circle of friends and family nor can they provide as great a sample of perspective readers as offered in this Forum. Courtesy and humility I believe are prerequisites for us here (but perhaps I am arrogant to suggest this--if so, forgive me). I am extremely grateful to those who have (for free) cared to comment on the fragments of my first novel and the three short stories I have posted here.

Feedback (1) informs the author if he/she has enticed the reader (and thus, hopefully, the agent or editor) to read further; and (2) offers potential suggetions for improvement. One can accept or set aside the latter as one deems best. These are offered by your fellow Forum Members with good will and with no expectations of anything in return--except, perhaps, the courtesy of reading and providing feedback to the fragments they share.

Ms Woodbury,
As Forum Administrator and Advisor, published author, and First Reader and Coordinatng Judge for the Writers of the Future Contest (I have much appreciated your insights: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/005988.html ), you ARE Solomon here --or the wise Rebbinitza Bruriah, wife of the Sage Rabbi Meir (look her up some time).

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[This message has been edited by History (edited December 17, 2010).]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ms Woodbury,
As Forum Administrator and Advisor, published author, and First Reader and Coordinatng Judge for the Writers of the Future Contest (I have much appreciated your insights: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/005988.html ),

Oops History You may have KDW confused with kdw (Kathy D. Wentworth - Kathleen Dalton Woodbury) or mixing the two into a SUPERKDW

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Well, History that was my mistake. I understood it was customary to post the first thirteen lines of a manuscript even if you wanted a complete critique of the entire manuscript, which I got from both the introductory materials for the community and from the description of the forum:

"Need volunteers to look at your book? This is the place to ask for them. Start a topic and give it the title of your book. Give the genre (SF, fantasy, mystery, nonfiction, whatever), tell us how many words you have written so far, and whether you just want feedback on your first 13 lines and/or a summary of your book, or whether you want volunteers to read a partial (the first 20 pages and an outline of the rest). "

However I'm getting the message that this may not be the community for me.

History
Member # 9213

P.S. I liked your query letter and the general premise of the novel as you've described it.

Just for fun, my feedback on your first 13 lines:

(He) [who is "he"? "Amerigo"] sat away from the windows. He didn't draw the shades. When you drew the shades you had to twitch them aside if you wanted to see [see what?]. Then they knew you were watching them, watching you.[I like this sentence]

He faced the door of the apartment [I find this an abrupt change of perspective from the first paragraph where I perceived "he" was facing the window, since the window was the focus of the entire paragraph], in a straight-backed wooden chair. (He) ["His"]hand rested on a pistol which lay in his lap. The pistol was reassuring.[passive tense and awkward. E.g Who is the pistol reassuring?] It was beneath Amerigo's dignity to nursemaid a child, and he wouldn't have done (it)["so"?] for any other child but this one. This was the son of his precious Donka, and she the daughter of his comrade Karol Wroclav.

What is presented:
1) Four characters. Amerigo is presumed to be the protagonist. He is prideful, but has loyalty, and possibly affection, for his comrade Karol Wroclav and "precious" Donka--not so much for the boy, however, who is unnamed.
2) Setting: Uncertain. Amerigo is an Italian name, and the others are Polish. There is a Spartan bleakness to your description of the room (and matching writing style) that works well.
3) Conflicts: Amerigo is caring (hiding?) and protecting? his comrade's grandchild. He may have feelings for the child's "precious" mother. Is she married? Widowed? He/They are being sought or are being "watched" by unnamed antagonists for as yet unrevealed reasons. Amerigo has knowledge or skill in such matters.

I would read further in expectation that the nature of the conflict will be soon revealed. If not, I would stop.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

History
Member # 9213

quote:
Oops History You may have KDW confused with kdw (Kathy D. Wentworth - Kathleen Dalton Woodbury) or mixing the two into a SUPERKDW

I see I must. >blush<
Thank you for the correction. My appreciation to both, at least, remains sincere.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

History
Member # 9213

MattLeo,
As I shared, I like your premise and your query letter. You may find others here who do as well and, based on them, would be willing to read your entire manuscript.

What sort of critique do you desire:
1) Proofreading only
2) Personal feedback on story flow and if you maintained the reader's interest; identifying any points of confusion.
3) Editorial critique (word/sentence/paragraph structure).
Etc.

I suggest you also look at some of the posts (and writings) by Forum Members who have responded to you to date, and determine who you believe may be most helpful to you and ask them directly.

As I have been part of this dialog and intruded upon your good will with mild rebuke, I offer to read the first 60 pages (to the closest chapter break) and provide feedback in the manner you direct. I'm afraid my occupation precludes me from initially offering to read the entire manuscript, but I may make this request subsequently. I apologize if in anyway I have given offense.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

lostdog
Member # 9343

- posted      Profile for lostdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot is going on in these thirteen lines. One of the things I am picking up on the idea of thirteen lines is that, as a reader, I get to take a very close look at a small amount of words.

Usually, I read a story first for The Story (and hopefully also pleasure). Then, if I liked it a lot or felt I had things to learn from it or if I was a critiquer) I would read it again looking at its elements (and also to go into the story again -how I love that!).

Thirteen lines does not get you into the story. Not often anyway. You could push it. But some stories start off slowly. That's okay too.

But thirteen lines gets you looking at the words, the first impact. It's interesting.

I'm new here. I'm learning as fast as I can understand and through all the comments.

As a commenter, I'm learning here too.

For what it's worth (or not), this is my comment on the writing:
The one thing that stuck out in the thirteen lines that I saw was in the second paragraph. The POV (something I am here to get clearer on too) moved sharply (IMHO) from "him" to an overview of "you." I would have kept it located in "him."

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Dr. Bob, you don't have to put on the hair shirt for me. I apologized once for my faux pas, you brought it up again, then apologized, so it's over as far as I'm concerned.

What I'm looking for is story flow mainly.

lostdog -- the "you" business is a dialect choice. We are in Amerigo's head, and if one had to put it standard composition book English one would say, "one has to", rather than "you have to".

I agree with you on the thirteen line exercise. There's only so much you can reasonably expect to accomplish in half a page. The half-page exercise is a remarkably useful one, because as often as not serious style problems like infodump, adverb abuse, and trite dialog are apparent right there. But beyond that I think we're on shaky ground. It's a seductive game. I found myself in critting opening half-pages making recommendations that after reflection don't have any reasonable justification.

lostdog
Member # 9343

quote:
the "you" business is a dialect choice. We are in Amerigo's head, and if one had to put it standard composition book English one would say, "one has to", rather than "you have to".

I understand. None-the-less, the use of "you" or even "one" pulls me, as a reader, out of Amerigo's head, whereas changing it to "he" would keep me located. The "you" seems to put me into an outside POV and/or a second person and can come off as preachy or a telling of the rules.

Again, just my take.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostdog
Member # 9343

quote:
When you drew the shades you had to twitch them aside if you wanted to see. Then they knew you were watching them, watching you.

If he drew the shades, he'd have to twitch them aside to see, but then they'd know. They would be watching for that, waiting. It was their game and he would lose.

Something like that for me keeps me glued inside the character's head and also makes it much more tense.

[This message has been edited by lostdog (edited December 17, 2010).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Aside, regarding the idea of a SUPERKDW:

K. D. Wentworth and I consider ourselves to be each other's twin, and we tell people the way to tell us apart is that she has blue eyes and I have brown.

We have also decided that she is to be referred to as KDW, while I am kdw (lower case).

Around here (the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum) I am also referred to as She Who Must Be Obeyed, while my "twin" has been referred to by some Hatrackers as She Who Must Be Impressed.

The real question is whether or not anyone has seen us both in the same place together (and the answer is, "yes!").

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Oh, by the way, my favorite wise woman from the Old Testament is Huldah.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

As for the 13 line postings, because novels have to be read differently, there are some suggestions on how to approach giving feedback on them here. The Novel Support Group is also intended to be of use to novel writers (as opposed to short story writers).

Please try some of these out, MattLeo, before deciding that this forum is not for you?

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
Oh, by the way, my favorite wise woman from the Old Testament is Huldah.

When tracking my genealogy to determine if the rumors of being a descendant of General Sam Houston my line stops at the mother of my great great grand father Sam Houston Davis. Her name is Huldah but I cannot finder her husband or parents.

sorry for the additional 'aside'

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued by the concept. The dark venue and the man watching the sleeping child puts me vaguely in mind of Rasputin.

I think the opening works okay to set the scene, tho I agree with another post that I'd rearrange it very slightly, something like this:

quote:
When you drew the shades you had to twitch them aside if you wanted to see. Then they knew you were watching them, watching you. So Amerigo sat waiting in the dark, well away from the windows with their watchful open shades, guarding the child he'd put to bed in its traveling clothes.

He faced the door of the apartment, kept uncomfortably awake by the straight-backed wooden chair and reassured by the pistol that lay on his lap, hard and cold under his nervous fingers. It was beneath Amerigo's dignity to nursemaid a child, and he wouldn't have done it for any child but the son of his precious Donka, and she the daughter of his comrade Karol Wroclav.

All the same information, but starts with a bit of personal mythos (Amerigo's superstitions about the windows, as seen from inside his head) rather than a naked description, so we immediately connect with his personality rather than just watching him sit there. -- Also tightened a little by combining phrases to remove redundant information.

I like the general tone and flow -- I think it fits the Slavic names in the manner of a good translation from Russian. The last line is a good example of idiomatic flow (a term I've just now invented) with its slightly nonstandard but very "right feeling" syntax. There are some other small but significant indicators of the situation, like referring to the child as "it" rather than by gender.

LOVE the title.

Addendum: I see I missed the post about Amerigo being the one doing the making-nervous, not the being-nervous. Given that info I'd shift tone in my small edit-sample slightly to account for it, but will leave what I wrote 3 days ago as it is for historical purposes. <g>

[This message has been edited by Reziac (edited December 24, 2010).]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.