Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Need advice (2 potential fantasy starts)

Author Topic: Need advice (2 potential fantasy starts)
Forgotten
Member # 8033

- posted      Profile for Forgotten   Email Forgotten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a fantasy story in my free time, and as such, it's going pretty slowly - not anywhere near being finished at the moment.

However, I know that a large part of the story comes down to how the reader reacts to the very first part of it. To this end, I have two different beginnings, of which I am struggling to choose one. The two beginnings take place within hours of each other, and both refer to the same event. One is before, and one is after. I'm looking for tips, and also opinions as far as which one is more engaging. Or should I take a different tack altogether, and try something else? Thanks!

1:
There was a stab of panic when Rhedan saw the blood, then traced its path back up eight stone steps to the source. At the top of the stair lay one of the serving girls, her glazed eyes and parted lips locking her in that incomprehending gaze of the dead. For a moment, Rhedan was immobilized staring at that face. She was young and may have been pretty, but death had stolen all the color from her face, and her beauty dripped langorously down the staircase in thick, sticky globs. She looked like she might have been Isra. Ah damn it all, she wasn't Isra, but that was the only name he knew. Whoever she had been, she wasn't anymore, and that was all that mattered now.

2:
From high in his tower, Lord Tornstrad Vadim watched the field through his spyglass, waiting for something to happen. Anything. But no matter how hard he watched, or how angrily he flipped his spyglass open or snapped it shut, nothing was changing. There were still upwards of twenty thousand Samesti soldiers camped at his walls, and they showed no intentions of leaving. Most disconcerting was the fact that they hadn't attacked. They were just sitting in their camps. Perhaps he should have been grateful, though. They hadn't attacked for three days, which was a small mercy, but they were laying siege, and Lord Vadim was ill-prepared. And somewhere down there, the Samesti had his sons.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
In the first one, something is actively happening: Rhedan sees a dead body and reacts to it. In the second one the action is passive: Vadim is waiting for something to happen. To me, the first one is therefore a better beginning because it is more dynamic.

Stylistically, I prefer the second one. I feel you captured the PoV of Vadim better. From his actions, i.e. opening and closing the spyglass, I can sense his impatience better than I can Rhedan's immobilizing panic.

In the first one, I feel like the reader is simply being told Rhedan cares, and yet I don't get the sense that he did if he doesn't even know her name. Also, just because she might have been pretty and now is dead doesn't necessarily make the crime any worse than if she had been homely. I think if you went deeper into Rhedan's PoV it would raise the reader's emotional involvement. In other words, make it more personal for Rhedan. Even though he might not remember her name, does he remember her doing something? Was there something in her manner that stuck in his mind - her shyness, innocence, or how unobtrusive she was, thus making her murder heinous for who would go out of their way to kill someone as harmless as she?

[This message has been edited by redux (edited December 21, 2010).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostdog
Member # 9343

- posted      Profile for lostdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the first comment, but think the first one is passive as well.

If a story has a passive start, I'd like it to set a mood or a theme or build character and intrigue me.

Too much instant action and it's jolting. Too passive and it stalls.

Opening can be tricky. I like the way OSC described (in his article on openings on his website) how trying out different openings can help take you to the right one. If you haven't read that, it's a great read -very informative.

If possible, could you post a short synopsis? If I knew where you were going, then it would be clearer to help assess the opening.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the first one better if

• You change that first sentence to make it more active.
  • You get a litte deeper into the character's POV.

That said, don't obsess over the opening at this point. Write somehting that gets you started and move on. It is quite possible that when you finish the book, you will discover that the story starts somewhere else all together. Trust me on that.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited December 21, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to decline to crit your two openings, because I believe that may be a disservice to you at this point. What I'd like to address is some of your preconceptions which I think may be worth questioning.

I don't much like the idea of fussing so much over getting the start *just right* before you've got the whole story in roughly the shape you want. The opening doesn't merely have to trick the reader into continuing with your story. That's a necessary task of course, but even so that opening also must serve the rest of the story. If it doesn't, it's a bad opening, even if it hooks the reader for a few more pages. You can easily sweat blood over those 13 lines only to discover they don't fit the rest of the 99% of the manuscript you've written. Do you throw out the manuscript? Of course not. Out goes that opening.

Now let's suppose you intend to sit down at the opening scene and bang the novel out scene after scene in sequential order until done. If you have a choice of starting at point A which is earlier, or point B that is later, I'll give you five really good reasons right off the top of my head for starting with B.

(1) You'll get done sooner.
(2) You're going to have to write the scenes around B anyhow, even if you start with A.
(3) If your story is too long, it will be easier to trim if you start with B.
(4) If your story is too short, you can change your mind and pad it out with the events between A and B.
(5) One of the most common faults in manuscripts is taking too long to get the story into gear. If the story is dull at B, you're sunk before you start (better to find that out early). If it is exciting at B, you risk losing readers before they get to the good stuff if you start at A.

But of course, that all supposes you write the story beginning to end. Even if you're a seat of the pantser who has to start with the first scene, it's always a good idea to outline a story as soon as you can. Maybe you can't do that until you've done a number of scenes; still, no rule says you have to start with the opening scene. Personally, I'm a pantser who starts at the ending I want, then works back to discover the start I need. I'm not saying that's a better way of doing it, only pointing out there are more ways to do this than you've probably imagined, and they don't all start with banging out that first half page of the manuscript.

I think it is valuable to do scattered scenes all along an anticipated plot arc to see if it is as productive as I hope it to be, then go back and fill in the intermediate scenes.

It makes no sense to get blocked fussing too much over any one scene, even an opening. Make the story work, then go back and see which scenes need to be doctored. If you have to throw out a scene, even your opening, that's OK. There's plenty more where that came from. That's the writer's mantra. It doesn't matter how wonderful that scene is, I can write another one just as good, because there's plenty more where that came from. Then, when you've got a great story, and only then should you fuss about the opening.

[This message has been edited by MattLeo (edited December 21, 2010).]

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Plan A better as an opening, tho as someone else says it could be more direct and less passive. Less thinking about how we're reacting and more doing it.

Plan B struck me as Chapter Two of the same book, after we're already introduced to the venue. Definitely not a start point, and feels more remote.

However, as others said, don't agonize over it. Chances are it's gonna start somewhere else anyway! Just pick one and go from there and figure if you have to move the start point forward, at least now you know the backstory.

And it can go both ways. What was originally the opening scene on my own first attempt wound up being a way-station in the middle. Turns out the story had actually started quite a while before that. *sigh*

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.