Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Fantasy Novel

Author Topic: Fantasy Novel
elilyn
Member # 9426

- posted      Profile for elilyn   Email elilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
"CRUNCH, a tortured noise sounded behind Wilahm. The young man’s head jerked up from where it was pillowed on his pack and he drew in a startled breath. He frequently came to this meadow to daydream. Today it seemed he had unknowingly progressed into a real dream. Now he was struggling to remove the remnants of sleep from his mind. Looking around himself he saw that even though the meadow was still filled with slanting sunlight, the edge of the forest behind him was starting to descend into shadows for the evening."

So I'm really, nervous to post anything at all but I figured you all would give good advice. I need it. I have 8k words written on this story, I expect it will be over 100k (maybe 160k if I keep on this same pace).

Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi elilyn,

Welcome to the Hatrack.

Don't be shy about posting(although I still get that way too) Bottom line is we are all here to help each other and learn. The more active we stay the better off we all are.

And, most important, please remember anything anyone says, is their opinion, and nothing more. Some are published in small ways, others in big ways. And some not at all.

My first thought was CRUNCH and tortured noise didnt ring as the same sound.

My second thought is we are going for Wilahm's pov, or point of view. If so, the second sentence, the young man's head... seemed like someone elses pov. I would suggest....sounded behind Wilahm. He jerked his head up...

My third thought--waking up or a dream is a rather cliched place to start. I dont mind it, it can be pulled off. Just make sure you feel its perfect and necessary.

Fourth thought, Looking around - this isnt necessary if we are strong in his pov. you can leave that out and have it. The meadow...

Fifth thought, "was" was tends to lead to less active writing. I try to limit them. Example. The sun was shining. versus --The sun shone down.

I am reposting your intro with my thoughts, just so you can see what I am trying to get at. I sometimes struggle finding the words.

INSERT WORD, a tortured noise sounded behind Wilahm. His head jerked up from where it was pillowed on his pack and he drew in a startled breath. He frequently came to this meadow to daydream. Today it seemed he had unknowingly progressed into a real dream. He struggled to remove the remnants of sleep from his mind. Slanting sunlight still filled the meadow, though the shadows of evening sought to claim the edge of the forest behind him.

I would suggest, continue writing your story, dont get to hung up on the perfect words for the beginning. The last thing you want to do is get bogged down. Most important part is keep writing.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elilyn
Member # 9426

- posted      Profile for elilyn   Email elilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like good advice. I can definately see the strength of your adjustments.
Right now I'm stuck on a crossroads in my story. Do I let my character know all of the facts right up front, or do I let him find out on his own later on. I've written it both ways and can't move forward until I decide which is stronger.
Any thoughts anybody?

Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right now I'm stuck on a crossroads in my story. Do I let my character know all of the facts right up front, or do I let him find out on his own later on. I've written it both ways and can't move forward until I decide which is stronger.
Any thoughts anybody?

All we can give you is general advice at this point.

Generally, allowing the character to learn as they go (and the reader to learn at the same time) allows more suspense, keeps you from writing the dreaded infodump, and makes for a stronger story.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Any thoughts anybody?

First I would agree with Meredith. Allowing the character to learn the facts as he/she goes adds mystery and suspense to the story.

The question I would ask is: What difference does it make if he/she knows the facts? Will they act differently? Will their goals change? Their motivation? Ex. If I am after the answer to my mothers death, and I dont know the reasons, I have to search for it then decide what to do with my data. If I know my mother was murdered, then I just have to decide should I seek revenge and kill them or what. The same end result maybe, but two entirely different ways of getting there. Does that make any sense?

The story isnt just about things happening, but more importantly about the changes the MC will face and overcome, the internal stuff. Just think long and hard on what would make the best story, the most conflict and go from there.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.