Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Changer

Author Topic: Changer
ForlornShadow
Member # 9758

- posted      Profile for ForlornShadow   Email ForlornShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
So the other story kind of took a backseat until I figure out what I want to do with it. I had sudden inspiration and I needed to get it out. I need to know if it will be worth continuing. I'm about a quarter of the way done with the first section.

My mother always told my brother and me that no matter what happened in life we always had a choice. No matter how big or how small that choice had the chance to make a big impact on our lives. At the moment I had two choices, I could either keep quiet and hope to high heaven I wouldn‘t be found or I could face whoever was coming from the tunnels head on before they knew what had hit them. I took a deep breath and waited, gripping my worn bow as tightly as I dared. The footsteps were getting closer, they weren’t the quiet, delicate footsteps of my mother. Oh, no, they were heavy, metallic footsteps; footsteps that never came out of the tunnels on a normal day. But then again, this hasn’t been a normal day; it hasn’t even been a normal week. For one, the cycles are messed up, not to mention

There it is. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

[ August 02, 2012, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Kathleen Dalton Woodbury ]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. A paragraph break would be nice.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the dramatic tension of the opener: guy at the decision point of a tough decision where either choice is likely to lead to a difficult, dangerous situation. That is a solid hook for me.

For me, though, this opening is a bit vague. Personally, I would rather just know up front what is happening here, rather than dancing around, hinting about it. Why is this person hiding outside a tunnel out of which a heavy, metal-booted (maybe? That's what I'm imagining from the heavy, metallic footsteps) thing is coming? If I knew that, the dramatic tension of the difficult decision would be even stronger, I think.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.