Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Evangeline -- blurb, first 13

Author Topic: Evangeline -- blurb, first 13
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
When the emperor of the humans died, his daughter Evangeline found comfort knowing her brother would rule.

Eleven days later, he was assassinated by a shadowy inter-species aristocracy, passing the throne to her.

Unprepared, Evangeline reluctantly takes the mantle of the Nine Hundred Worlds. With her advisors' help, she struggles to keep the empire from a fourth war with the bellanoi while securing against the growing wind of sedition backed by her brother’s killers.

A web of ulterior motives closes around her, can she set a course that protects her people from all threats, including her own power? Or even protect herself? Into her circle, comes a clone bred to protect her, capable of seeing through lies, but incapable of humanity.

Is he the answer to her prayers? Or the embodied sin of her empire?

----

This the jacket blurb for Evangeline. What do you think? The book is epic sci-fi, 120k.

[ April 08, 2013, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: enigmaticuser ]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestions (just for consideration)

Line 2: "...and the scepter passed to her" or "throne", though that would be heavy to "pass". [Wink]

Line 3ff.: change of tense. Lines 1 and 2 use past tense (e.g. "died", "found", "assasinated"). Here it is present tense (e.g. "takes", "struggles").

I expected this to be the opening 13 lines of the novel, but this seems part of a query, blurb, or pitch for which you should therefore change all to present tense.

Storywise, it looks very interesting, reminescent of the opening of Brandon Sanderson's epic The Way of Kings or Frank Herbert's Dune.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Bob, thanks for insights. It is the jacket blurb, not the opening 13.
Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by enigmaticuser:
When the emperor of the humans died, his daughter Evangeline found comfort knowing her brother would rule.
Eleven days later, he was assassinated by a shadowy inter-species aristocracy, passing the throne to her.
Unprepared, Evangeline reluctantly takes the mantle of the Nine Hundred Worlds. With her advisors help,

should be advisors'

quote:
she struggles to keep the empire from a fourth war with the bellanoi while securing against the growing wind of sedition backed by her brother’s killers.
This sentence is a little long and possibly trying to do too much. Consider breaking it into two sentences--one about avoiding a war and the other about sedition. Oh, and it's not clear just what she's securing against the "winds of sedition".

quote:
A web of ulterior motives closes around her, can she set a course that protects her people from all threats, including her own power? Or even protect herself? Into her circle, comes a clone bred to protect her, capable of seeing through lies, but
Clearly, there's supposed to be more here. You don't have to stop at 13 lines for queries, blurbs, etc.

I'd be careful of using questions.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
As Meredith said, you don't need to stop at 13 lines for blurbs, synopses, and such, enigmaticuser.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Thanks for the reminder, I uploaded the full copy.

Meredith, for clarification, I have the sense you're right on the questions, though I can't put my finger on why.

Would they would be more agreeable as what-if setups? "...she can set a course to protect her people, but only if she can reign in the power of her own empire. And only if she can stay alive."

Meredith
Member # 8368

One reason is that agents hate questions.

You've said that this is a jacket blurb, not a query, but I'd still approach questions with care. They irritate agents for a reason. You might get away with one. You currently have four.

Yes, I think you could rephrase them.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by enigmaticuser:
but only if she can reign in the power of her own empire

Do you mean "reign in" as in rule inside or within? Or do you mean "rein" as in control (rein in a horse)?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Thanks Meredith,

Kathleen, I did mean rein. A pox upon those similar words!

All, as I am headed for self-pubbing, I am also interested to know what kind/flavor of story this blurb suggests to you?

Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
All, as I am headed for self-pubbing, I am also interested to know what kind/flavor of story this blurb suggests to you?
Hmm. Space opera?
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Do you mean space opera, good or space opera bad? I've heard two definitions.
Meredith
Member # 8368

I personally have no objection to a good space opera. [Smile]

Then again, I write almost exclusively fantasy. Maybe someone who writes science fiction can give you a better subgenre.

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

I've read (since the term was new to me until recently) those words can either mean epic/romantic sci-fi (dune, maybe star wars). Or kind of nostalgic, 'genre fic' like (in my estimation) "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" or John Carter or that sort of thing. So I was trying to figure out which this sounded like. I'm guessing the questions, make it lean to the latter, but I was hoping for the former.
Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, I meant the former, but, like I said, ask someone who writes sf. I read some, but I don't write it at this time.
Christian Behr
Member # 10043

- posted      Profile for Christian Behr   Email Christian Behr         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmaticuser, your book sounds interesting. I'd be willing to swap first chapters for reading and critiquing if you're interested. christianbehr2@gmail.com
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think that the blurb needs something a bit more distinctive. Though I get what you mean by the first line, for instance, because I knew/know nothing else about the novel, it seems a bit odd. All emperors are emperors of humans. Line two, we get a hint of characters that are possibly something more than human, though again, it's not clear, and the line doesn't reveal something unique about your specific fictional universe or its species.

I guess ultimately that's my take from it. The blurb can use more specific details from the world(s) you've created and the intrigue you're going for. What's here seems like it needs to be taken up a notch.

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.