Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Natural Police: Chapter 3 - Fade

Author Topic: Natural Police: Chapter 3 - Fade
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 

[ June 03, 2015, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

The opening of chapter 3. All comments on this welcomed, as well as comments on the completed first two chapters, which are about 7000 words.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
You've named the character 'Daniel' 3 times in the first paragraph and once in the first two lines of the second paragraph; afraid we won't remember who he is?

Also, the narrative distance changes between the first paragraph and the second. I don't mind narrative distance changes, in general, but not in the same scene.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Good point. Thanks for the catch with the name. I think it was subconscious. I was unsure what I wanted the name to be for weeks now, but I knew I wanted it to be Biblical, and I finally settled on Daniel. Maybe my "agonizing" over it showed up as repetition in the first draft of the beginning of this chapter.

Now that I think of it, maybe I'll make it Nathaniel. There actually was a guy I knew back in high school with that name who was going to be a priest, and since that's the same road this character's on, it might make it easier to write.

Denevius
Member # 9682

[ June 03, 2015, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.