Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Chapter 12 - Ring

Author Topic: Chapter 12 - Ring
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
Revised below.

[ January 02, 2014, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

As always, thanks for any comments!
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
"Without a heart, can the dead love?" While this is an interesting question, this feels like the narrator intruding and trying way too hard to sound deep. (That's an "it takes one to know one" comment; I am often guilty of this literary sin). Maybe if he looks at the heart pendant first, and then the question can be framed as his thought instead of coming at me as a narrator address.

"The downed nuclear plants frayed nerves as well as raised temperatures." I am confused. Don't know what that's about or why the downed plants frayed nerves. Also, is eating patbingsu and sipping coffee intended to be a response to having frayed nerves? It's not clear to me why it would be. It actually creates kind of a relaxed, laid back picture in my mind.

"walking slowly past humans living human lives" cool concept, bulky wording.

The lively girlfriend with hidden cancer is very interesting.

I look forward to seeing the finished product of this book some day (hopefully on a shelf at a book store). I've seen a lot of interesting stuff going on in it so far.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Hey, thanks for the comments! I'm midway through the novel now. I suppose I'll be done the first draft in three months.
jerich100
Member # 10202

- posted      Profile for jerich100   Email jerich100         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the first sentence was okay.

Consider changing, "He moved off from the jewelry store" to "He left the jewelry store". Perhaps it sounds cleaner/swifter; the "less is more" principle.

In the last paragraph you use the words "humans" and "human". Is this because Bu Chang Jin isn't? That's how I read it.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Hey, thanks for the comment!
Denevius
Member # 9682

[ June 03, 2015, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.