Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First 13 lines--Sci-Fi novel

Author Topic: First 13 lines--Sci-Fi novel
jerich100
Member # 10202

- posted      Profile for jerich100   Email jerich100         Edit/Delete Post 
(Note: The Sci-fi part doesn't come into the picture until Marc gets to the bottom of the canyon...)

Wedged between chaparral, prickly pear, and tarweed, the trail tossed up a puff of dust with every footstep. The course snaked downward between the scorpions and tarantulas to a sandy streambed in the heart of the ravine that seldom flowed, and only after a good, long rain.
One of many interconnecting rifts between San Diego’s neighborhoods, the canyon was where Marc Krause had spent much of not-too-distant youth. His resolute steps distracted him from his recent aches by providing familiar and repeatable movements that didn't require much thought.
As it happened, Marc had just overcome a vicious flu, the kind that made his mind and body toss during the night and be of no use during the day.

[ February 03, 2014, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: jerich100 ]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wedged between chaparral, prickly pear, and tarweed, the trail tossed up a puff of dust with every footstep.
I get what you're saying here, but it reads as if the trail is walking.

This is a very dense opening that I think risks losing readers' interest. I also think the way you write pushes readers out of the narrative. Like, the tone is kind of conversational, something akin to a blog entry, or forum response. And I think you take too long to get to a point, or hook, in the opening.

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.