Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Natural Police Pitch

Author Topic: Natural Police Pitch
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
Revised below.

[ January 29, 2014, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jerich100
Member # 10202

- posted      Profile for jerich100   Email jerich100         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused. If this is Gwanlyo's "help wanted" ad, then why indicate no unsolicited applicants? Or is this just a pitch to the reader, a come-on of sorts for the back of the book?

Also, I'm certain you're familiar with the movie, "R.I.P.D."? The "pitch" looks very similar to that movie--you might want to look into it.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Hey, thanks for the thoughts on it!
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
A want ad that's impossible to apply for as a pitch challenges willing suspension of disbelief. This one also I feel is formated more like a roommate wanted flyer than a newspaper classified.

I think a job description narrative like a human resources department might keep in the ordinary course of business would be more apropos. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Web site has suitable models for emulation purposes. That Department of Labor Web site's Occupational Outlook Handbook has examples of job duties that also inform HR employment guidelines.

BLS's Occupational Outlook Handbook

And for example, the BLS Writers and Authors' Profile

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Revised below.

[ February 02, 2014, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Denevius
Member # 9682

quote:
A want ad that's impossible to apply for as a pitch challenges willing suspension of disbelief.
I think, technically, the revised version seems like something a person could apply to.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Yes, but . . .

A narrative form rather than a listing is smoother to read and pulls readers in and forward. Listings allow a wandering or leaving eye at the end of every line.

Also, use implication for the more grisly details, maybe all the details. Use implication in general so that readers may infer, even the want ad readers within the narrative's setting who, technically, the want ad is for, what's what context and texture, and so on, as well as real-world pitch readers.

For example, for "Excellence in killing preferred," use something to the effect Expertise for wet work conditions preferred. Ironic innuendo, in other words, that could have an innocent interpretation and a sinister interpretation.

[ January 30, 2014, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

[ June 03, 2015, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

The BLS profiles morphed with craigslist classifieds, maybe one or two implied euphemisms, and I think you'd accomplish your intents and meanings. I guess a grammar issue I have with "Excellence in killing preferred" parallels twofold with its directness. One, that pesky multiple parts of speech word dilemma for "in," preposition use in this case that makes use of the word in in all cases cause for clarity evaluation, but also used as an adverb, adjective, and noun. Two, that "in" makes a vague meaning of the sentence either being a killer or being killed. Perhaps another preposition, more precise is called for, say at or for.

"Wet work" is to me a strong signal that includes implied meaning related to clandestine activities, that I think suits the overall novel.

The number of discrete thoughts an average person can hold in thought at one time is seven at maximum, if the thoughts are both familiar and composed as thrilling. Seven is a magical number in that regard. So a list pitch might ought best be seven relatable items.

Denevius
Member # 9682

Revised below.

[ February 02, 2014, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Denevius
Member # 9682

So, I think maybe cutting out everything else for this two line pitch:

HIRING: Natural Police

What We Do: Members of the natural police train for and perform a variety of convert actions in order to maintain Party discipline. Perfection isn’t an ‘If’, but a ‘How’.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Strong but not as clear I think as might be desired. If I didn't know what Natural Police means, I'd infer the title/who's or what's hiring means an individual member rather than the organization.

Colons used to separate title and subtitle and to either follow or imply "as follows" are a scholastic writing principle and signal a degree of formality I think blunts colons' otherwise expressive punctuation use. In prose, colons signal "as follows" for an artful serial listing, oftentimes a triplet, to introduce a summary, an explanation, a final appositive clause, or a long or formal quotation. Note the formality of colon punctuation signals formality, perhaps too formal for a want ad. Though Ernest Hemingway's famous microfiction uses a colon: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." Note: not a gerund verb, though.

The second colon is suitable for formal expression; the first I think is not indicated, not following a gerund verb. However, both their prefatory phrases I feel confuse and diminish rather than clarify and strengthen.

The job description is wordy from multiple prepositions and conjunctions.

Phrases including a preposition, especially of tend to be wordy. Of misuse, overuse, and abuse also tends to be wordy. Same with "in order to" phrases. A denotative of use that is unequivocal in meaning and strong and clear is the possessive case; for example, Possessions of theirs. That example illustrates of wordiness. Their possessions isn't wordy. Using of for attributive case constructions, though, is more so wordy. "Members of the Natural Police" and "variety of covert actions" are attributive case. This attributive case is illustrated by inverting to conventional syntax: Natural Police Members and covert action varieties, respectively. Denotative possessive case example: Children of Jacob; Jacob's Children.

Words used as words (nouns) like "'If'" and "'How'" prescriptively are italicized for emphasis, though italics are conventionally not used in classifieds. In any case, only one emphasis is called for to signal use of a word as a word (noun): italics case, initial capital case, or scare quotes; rarely, maybe bold case.

"Maintain" is a less than robust verb.

The final sentence reads like a secret motto, or is otherwise an esoteric expression that is unclear and vague. In either case, the expression feels like a quote, hence calls for quote marks.

Excised and adjusted for example, to boil down to kernel essence:

Natural Police Wanted

Natural Police candidates train for covert actions to enforce Party discipline. "Enforcement perfection isn't an If but a How."

[ February 03, 2014, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Denevius
Member # 9682

Haha, that revision is quite good. A million thanks!

By the by, I actually did rip the language structure from military careers of the link you posted:

quote:
What They Do

Members of the U.S. military service train for and perform a variety of tasks in order to maintain the U.S. national defense.

Military Careers

Either way, thanks again! I think I'll run with this version.

Craig
Member # 7899

- posted      Profile for Craig   Email Craig         Edit/Delete Post 
I will not attempt technical critiquing of writing because I lack the knowledge. Besides, extrinsic has the technical stuff covered.

Maybe though I can help in another way.

Attention: Natural police open enrollment.

Qualifications: Willingness to do what is necessary to maintain discipline within the party.
Or something like that. Hope it helps.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Military and government publications are notoriously wordy, among other shortcomings. Their language, though intended to clarify and strengthen meaning, accomplishes a diametric opposite, perhaps partly intended to obfuscate so that discourse community outsiders are baffled, like for tax codes and regulations in general.

Emulating government and military language for False Document purposes might at least have another accessible rhetorical purpose, like for ironic commentary about legalese obfuscation.

Requisition one, repeat one, Natural Police candidate for undercover field wet work training: seventeen- to twenty-four-year-old, female person, Eastern ethnicity, suitably proficient in digital technologies, no close familial or social bonds, generally from an impoverished background, in ill health and terminally ill. Suitable candidate will demonstrate a proclivity for unquestionably following direction and no inclination toward second-guessing or hindsight review.

[ February 02, 2014, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Denevius
Member # 9682

Hey Craig, thanks for the response!
Craig
Member # 7899

I think extrinsic has it all covered. [Smile]
-----------------------------------------------------
I would like to respond more, but when I read the response of others, such as the talented extrinsic, my draw drops and I shake my head. What can I add? I agree with extrinsic?

Not only that, but the small things I do notice, is usually critiqued by someone already with more writing experience. So I don't respond often.
If you have a chapter you would like someone to read, and give you some feed back, I'll give it a shot.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Craig,

Your responses are equally as valuable as anyone else's. One aspect of critique response repetition may be more persuasive than others, in a general way. If several responses touch upon similar strengths or shortcomings, a writer is advised to take more notice of them than perhaps single or diverging responses when considering revisions. So any repetition, even in the form of agreement, has value.

Myself, rather than a nodding agreement, I strive to approach a noteworthy strength or shortcoming priorly touched upon by another participant's response from a different direction. Though perhaps repetitious, I feel doing so contributes to and furthers nonethless the discussion.

As to my "talents," I have many years of workshop experience in person and online and deep and wide writing study, as well as years of professional editing experience and writing teaching practice. If my responses tend to keep others from responding, for that I apologize. I didn't develop my critiquing, writing, or editing skills without participating though. So have at it to the best of your abilities. Developing critiquing skills develops writing and rewriting skills. That is the fundament of critique. By participating, your skills in either area will grow and you will reap the fruits of your labors.

[ February 04, 2014, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Craig
Member # 7899

Thanks extrinsic,
I follow what you're saying.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.