Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » New title

Author Topic: New title
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I am calling the novel that goes with the Three Blurbs. Two Struggles Because NA has to deal with her emotions as well as the fight with the bad guy. But I need a better title. I have one at the edge of my mind, but it just won't come. Maybe some suggestions would help bring it forward.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone here (sorry whoever it was, but I'm on my phone, and it's a pain to go navigate to it and see who it was to give you credit) suggested to me to ask yourself, "What would my MC call this book?" and that was the key, for me, to coming up with something I didn't hate. Maybe give that a try.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Especially since this is in First person.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
My Geas Summit
Darkside of the Zenith
Between Peak and Fall and Beyond the Mystic Horizon

Wordplay on "Nadir."

Epidemic Contagion Gaes
Woman of Two Souls

[ June 26, 2014, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thanks extrinsic.

My Double Adventure No

The Skeletons And Fire Affair Yes there are both in there.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The Flu and Emotional Baggage

The Geas, The Flu and The Barista

Healing The Flu and Herself

Her Inner Conflict and Outer War

Healing herself to Stop the Bad Guy

[ June 28, 2014, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm close with this one.

It's Me Vs Myself And A Situation

I don't want to say Bad Guy or Dark Mage or even Bastard.

ThemeWeaver
Member # 10271

- posted      Profile for ThemeWeaver           Edit/Delete Post 
Possible title - "Viral Magic"
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thanks, but not for this one. It could be an interesting title for something else hmmm, already have an idea.

Anyway, In my novel the MC has to overcome her emotional baggage and at the same time find the bad guy and fight him.

Hmmm,

Overcoming myself and It

Enemy: Myself And Someone Else.

I Seem To Have Found Myself in a Double Situation.

How I Found Myself In Two Bad Situations

extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Nadir: My Life at a New Low
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThemeWeaver
Member # 10271

Nadir Defies the Gaes, or Defying the Gaes
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Actually she doesn't. It turns out that she wants to find the cause of what is going on. She hates being pushed toward any goal, but people are being hurt and she finds herself in the middle where she can do something about it.

The very basic plot is she overcomes her own hurts, insecurities and hangups, at the same time figures out what is happening and beats the bad guy. I'm trying to put both of those in the tile.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

extrinsic's suggestion isn't bad.
ThemeWeaver
Member # 10271

"Torn". Because Nadir has so many conflicting motivations.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, One word titles do seem to be popular right now.
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
Hmm, One word titles do seem to be popular right now.

Also one or few words is easier to make clear on a title shrunk down to thumbnail size. [Smile]
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That opened up my thinking some.

A bit long but :

Above My Pay Grade--Twice.

Above My Pay Grade-2X

The third one didn't stay around for too long. It flittered out of my mind---and I liked it.

(Shakes head) I guess it's gone forever,

But how about?

Double Teamed

Twice Ripped

Wrenched-Hard.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Without knowing anything about your book, I like Above My Pay Grade.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay it's decided. Even though not all that short it seems to fit.

Above My Pay Grade X2

I may also have the title for the second book if I can remember it by the time I get done. I may have to work it into the story, but I think I can.

Learning Curve X2

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.