Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Journey of Mystery

Author Topic: Journey of Mystery
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I need a beta reader for what I am calling a fantasy-preindustrial steampunk fusion. Around 96,000 words. It has the basic epic fantasy formula but with a huge twist or two. Roger Twowinds, a young mage, goes on a quest to find a very ancient talisman. He doesn't know what it is, where it is-even though he does have an idea-or even why he is searching for it. But he knows he needs to find it before anyone who would use it to take over the world. He hires one of the best airship captains around to take him. Along the way he is joined by three others who somehow know of his quest and say he will need their help. While he made no secret of his journey, he didn't announce it to anyone either and since he lives in the wilds of North America, one a lot different than the one that existed back in the early1800s, with his tribe, no one should know about his trip.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not beta reader inclined much anymore. A few unpleasant resentment experiences too many, I'm afraid.

One, perhaps, suggestion for guidance along the journey to self-reliant writer-editor, consider methods for self-screen evaluations. L. Rust Hills' Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular's sections on narrative types, energeic, philosophic, and lyric, and preparation, suspension, and resolution segment sequences transformed my revision processes to a great degree. Took some many midnight candles burnt to process those concepts, from identifying those in test bench narratives. Now on to practical applications of those, and other concepts realized from other texts.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Greenstein
Member # 10615

- posted      Profile for Jay Greenstein   Email Jay Greenstein         Edit/Delete Post 
You're asking people who know nothing about you or your writing to commit to reading an entire novel? Seriously?

I mention it, in part, because you don't want your beta readers to be readers. You want a reader's reaction from a beta. As a site for writers, we tend to be more useful for nailing structural issues that appear early in the narrative.

Why not post the first thirteen lines, as others do here. After all, if the opening lines don't grab the reader they'll never see the rest.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Albany
Member # 10698

- posted      Profile for Jack Albany   Email Jack Albany         Edit/Delete Post 
LDWriter2, if the above precis were the jacket blurb for the book I would not open the cover. If you are going to ask people to make such a commitment of time at least you should try and create a tastier and more enticing bit of bait.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

LDWriter2's request for beta readers is appropriate for this forum, instead of a posted fragment, or a novel's several chapter fragments, or in addition to those, according to Hatrack protocols. Members familiar with LDWriter2's eight-year Hatrack forum posts, contributions, and participation also realize LDWriter2's publication ambitions at present run to independent presses and self-publication outcomes.

Hence, beta readers are an economical outside-eyes screener option for resource-limited writers, with emphasis on the more overt considerations foremost: common, obvious, non-discretionary grammar errors, large-scale structure and craft shortfalls, and overlooked appeal potentials. Also, realization LDWriter2 participates at other workshop forums, likely, Hatrack is one of several at which LDWriter2 requests beta readers. Best of luck engaging some. Write on, poet!

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Albany
Member # 10698

- posted      Profile for Jack Albany   Email Jack Albany         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not criticising the request by LDWriter2, I was simply suggesting that as an exercise in self-promotion a tastier precis would be good practice.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Understood and seconded.

A hero's journey story shape realizes the journey is of a personal discovery structure, of the self's strengths and shortfalls, moral among those, if not a true core of a narrative, moral maturation regardless: bildungsroman. Such realizations then inform a teaser's subtext.

Besides, of course, a plot summary accompanied by a request for beta readers posted in Book Fragments naturally elicits constructive critiques of the summary. Mine, further, the summary doesn't work for me, either: enticement shortfalls. Most whether complication, conflict, and outcomes excite and propel dramatic movement and hold doubt open to a dramatic degree until the bittersweet end.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, I got a little carried away with the post. I meant to type in a very short blurb then decided it should include more information.

Its been a while since I posted anything in this thread, and that goes for reading but in the past people have beta read novels with rather bad blurbs,

I will return with a better one.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I came back to post the real blurb for Mystery and Oops I don't have one. No wonder I kinda of went crazy there.
Jay Greenstein
Member # 10615

- posted      Profile for Jay Greenstein   Email Jay Greenstein         Edit/Delete Post 
Post the first thirteen lines. If it has what it takes to grab the interest of the reader, maybe someone will ask to read more.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.