Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Hatrack groups that need more members

Author Topic: Hatrack groups that need more members
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
We're going to try using this topic for any Hatrack email critique group that needs more members.

Post a description of the kind of group you have that gives kind of writing by marketing category and type.

Examples:

fantasy novel

science fiction screenplay

literary short stories

personal essays

poetry and short fiction

science fiction and fantasy only, all lengths

Please also specify what you do not want to include.

Example:

no R-rated stories

no romance

no mysteries

no science fiction or fantasy

no children's fiction

Post the email address you would like people to use to contact you--nameatdomaindotcom (see Kathleen's email addresses below).

Anyone who is interested in joining your group must have participated in the Fragments and Feedback area here and they must contact you in email--no posting that you are interested in this topic. They must give you their username here on Hatrack, at the very least, though their real name (or part of it) would also be good.

You may then pick enough people from those who email you to bring your group number up to six and notify Kathleen (via email at workshopatburgoynedotcom or Dalton-Woodburyatsffdotnet) who you are adding to your group (give Kathleen their email addresses and Hatrack usernames--she will check to make sure the email addresses actually match the Hatrack username--if they don't match, we will have to get an explanation from the person claiming the username).

Then email those who were not chosen and thank them. Tell them that you have enough people in your group now and wish them well in finding their own group.

That way, we hope, no one will get their feelings hurt, and those who want a group will be able to find one.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
pocolian
Member # 2303

- posted      Profile for pocolian   Email pocolian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on two groups in the past, and both have fizzled. Anyone interested in forming a group, please post it here.

Thank you,

Pocolian

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I posted the description of my writer's group under new groups. We now only need two more members. If your interested contact me my email is listed in my profile.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
FreyasFriend
Member # 2426

- posted      Profile for FreyasFriend   Email FreyasFriend         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I am Larry Nielsen, AKA Freyas Friend on the forums. I write science fiction with some romance (how can one examine the human condition without romance?), and historical elements. I am looking for a group to work with. I have participated in writers groups before, and I know how valuable feedback can be. I can be a pain in the neck, but promise to be the smallest pain possible.
Larry

Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the comments I've read about "do critiques because it makes you grow as a writer," I would like to offer my services to critique. However, I don't yet have anything I am ready to have anyone read, and won't have for several months.

I don't know if the intention of these groups is to pair people up with other writers who are all at the same stage to make it fair? Or does it matter?

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I just wanted to let folks know I'd be willing to help out.

By the way, is there a "training" required for critiquing? I'm new, and I've missed any reference to it if there is.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, welcome to Hatrack.

If you don't have anything ready to be read by the members of a group, you are probably better off just participating in the Fragmens and Feedback section of the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum. You could consider that section the "training grounds" for critiquing, if you like.

Also, there are some critique guidelines and/or checklists you can look at in the Ways to Critique section. You will have to tell the website software to "show all topics" in order to see them, however.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
ablelaz
Member # 2446

- posted      Profile for ablelaz   Email ablelaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a sixty seven year old retired maintenance mechanic, turned writer. I have been writing since about 1995 mostly for my own amusement. I have a completed western novel which I am in the process of rewriting; the western was always my favourite read, so this is my first love.
I have about ten short stories which I am told by friends and peers are very good. My weaknesses include spelling, punctuation and grammar. My strengths so I’m told are my imagination and ability to tell a story. I have one short story published in a magazine called Crossroads. I have two poems published electronically. Although I don’t consider my self a poet, it’s taken me fifty years to produce about five poems I think are worthy of the light of day.
I would very much like to find a group for both short stories as well as novels but perhaps I have to join two groups one for each..
Talk to you soon---ablelaz.-- ablelaz@execulink.com

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Frederic Civish
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Frederic Civish   Email Frederic Civish         Edit/Delete Post 
To anyone who is interested in starting or joining a critique group.

If you want to join a critique group, OR FORM ONE, then I suggest you look on this board, and the other similar boards, and contact each AND all the other people who have posted here, asking about groups.

This means you should contact each other, and put in the effort to make it work. DON'T just depend on people to come looking for you.

I have found that members in most functioning groups do not spend time looking around here. They are too busy writing. So, if you want things to work, you have to MAKE it work for yourselves.

I posted here and nobody answered me. So, I took the time to go through the posts and contact each person that I could.

I found a few groups that were functioning, but no longer in need of new members.

I found groups that had gone defunct and whose members weren't interested in continuing, for now.

AND, I found one group that wasn't exactly looking for members, but who were happy to have me join (and another person I had contacted from here, who came in with me) so now we have 6 members.

I also STARTED a new group, consisting entirely of people I contacted here and people who THEY brought in, so our new group now has 7 members. None of these people had been in a group before.

Do not bother to contact me on this, the two groups I am participating in (yes I am doing two) do not need any more members now. However, THIS is how you should go about finding or starting groups, in my opinion.

If you are interested, TAKE THE INITIATIVE.

DO post here, so that others, who are doing the same thing, can find you. But take it a step beyond that.

Good luck,

-=- Fred

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
pocolian
Member # 2303

- posted      Profile for pocolian   Email pocolian         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Fred. I second the motion.

Jason

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

posting to make the topic visible
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.