Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Heinlein Centennial (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Heinlein Centennial
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the same boat as you Gardener.

Haven't heard anything in 5 months, don't expect to now. I'm writing it off.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting until I hear something, anything, about the winners. I've got three stories out that should've had replies by now, but after reading Jamie's advice, I'm just writing more. I don't have anything to lose, and the next story will be that much better.

I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with your story--I'd suggest you inform them, via email, if you're withdrawing yours to submit elsewhere, though--but I'm standing fast.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Just visited the site again, and there was a small note (with a link to the same red-lettered message, but the note said):

quote:

Robert A. Heinlein Centennial Short Story Contest judging continues.
10/13/2008

Note the date...

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Babbler.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Phew, well at least that's something.

I'll just wait. Gotta write more, though - good advice. I need to invent more hours in the day first, but I'll work on that.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Kayti, you will be inventing those new hours for everyone, right? I mean, I could use a couple more.

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited October 16, 2008).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

Ooh, a good addition for the Hatrack Utility Belt[tm]!!

A time dilator. You aim it at your computer screen and bam! Only one hour of real time passes for every three hours writing time. You'll have to buy the booster pack to get the 5x effect (no, the effects are not stackable...)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Non-stackable effects? I hate those kind.
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. If they're still judging, I can wait. I am writing more, also. If it doesn't place, I'll tweak and send it out again.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, please go the H.U.B. topic and add it. I think it's a great idea.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Wow—they must have gotten a whole bunch of stories. (I take it as a compliment that I haven't been rejected, yet.)
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is a centennial contest; maybe it's also a centennial process.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

Well, it is a centennial contest; maybe it's also a centennial process.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

KayTi
Member # 5137

In a fit of get-something-doneness, I sent a query today. I'll let y'all know if I hear anything (even though I'm not from the south there are times when a good "y'all" is warranted, ya know?)

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even remember what I wrote.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Lol. Mine was my Apocalyptic Taco Mix story.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Mine was my clone story, which i think is a really great story and I'm itching for it to see print. If not this way, then I want it back so I can send it out elsewhere. I heard nothing from my query. I'm a little impatient, it's been 6+ mos. Seems excessive. (but then again, I also want to win, so...willing to be patient if it means I might win. If they've just sort of forgotten about the contest/moved on to other things, though, then...well, I want the story back! LOL)
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they had sent out notices that the winners were already selected but they were exercising their right to hold our stories for up to a year.

Mine was a truly Heinlein-esque outer space story with aliens and space ships and all.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

UPDATE: 3/31/2009 -- Judging continues, and the prize fund is fully funded and will be paid out at the end of the contest. Thank you for your patience.

I thought all those who stuck it out, would like to see this, too.

I wrote them because I missed that posting.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 24, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Deb jinxed us.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
What's going on NOW?

Winners announced? Can those of us who submitted now send our stories elsewhere?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I gathered, the rights have reverted back to us on July 7th. It still would have been nice to hear something
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

"3/31/2009 -- Judging continues, and the prize fund is fully funded and will be paid out at the end of the contest. Thank you for your patience.

Entries are now closed. The judges are beginning their work and entrants will be notified of the results in due course."

The above is still the only info on the site. I'll write them another email and see what I can discover.

KayTi
Member # 5137

You know, I forget about this for months at a time and then you guys remind me that I haven't heard anything and that's *frustrating!!*

IB, let us know. I had to email someone else...like digging around on the website to find a board of director's email address, I think, before I got a reply. I think the contests email addy bounced or something.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I emailed them--to whom I had a response before--and am waiting for the reply. I asked if the contest was still valid, if it has been judged, if winners were notified and if those who didn't place will be informed. I'll share the response when it comes.
snapper
Member # 7299

There is an update on their site posted on 08/02.

It appears they will have news in their next newsletter comeing out soon.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

This is from the current--downloadable--newsletter:
quote:

We had another gratifying response that took us quite by surprise. Thanks to donations and matching funds, we offered a substantial prize to the winner and runners up in a writing contest. We expected a good return, perhaps nearly one hundred entries, and maybe eight or ten truly worthy of being considered as finalists.

We received well over three hundred entries, and the number of stories worthy of considering as finalists are substantially more than three times what we expected.

Next month we should be in a position, at long last, to announce
the contest winners.

How many of the 24 - 30 entries do you figure are Hatrackers?

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
How many of the 24 - 30 entries do you figure are Hatrackers?

Zero (number not the hatracker (sorry))

I bet that anthology is full of every big name in writing for the past 20 years. I'm sure someone would have heard something by now. I sure hope that I am wrong, though.

KayTi
Member # 5137

Oh, we're totally represented because it's the posting here that got a bunch of us to submit. We have to be at least 15-20 of the 300 entries. Figuring many of us are a little better than average (lol) that puts us at 15 (say for example) of 150 (half of their supposed approx 300 entries. I can't believe they only thought they'd get 300 entries!) So if we're 10% of the ones that are worth considering...I bet at least 2 or 3 are in their top 10. Depends how many awards they actually give out.

I really don't think a bunch of big-namers are in this. While the $ are great, I don't think the contest was well-publicized, requires a certain kind of writing which is not as dark and brooding as what I see being published today, etc. I think it's a bunch of us fanboys, er and us fangirls.

I remain hopeful. I sent my best story.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Maybe they aren't going to announce the winners in August, hmmm? This is the last day, so we'll see.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Anything? Anything??

lol

KayTi
Member # 5137

Well, there it is:

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/contest.html

And nope, I'm not on it. Bummer! Didn't recognize any Hatracker's in this list but I only skimmed it. Sad, sad. Congrats to the winners, whoever they are!

Ah well, but at least my story is free again!! Now...where to send it...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well, I'm considering watering my story to see if it grows better.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was the second longest response I have ever recieved on a submission...Second only to my two year rejection from Sniplets.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm still waiting on something I sent out in 1975...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.