Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2009 Q03 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2009 Q03 -- Early Submissions
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
IB, Pixy - ditto, send 'em on to me.

Reminder: here's the list of people ready to critique anyone who's finished early.

darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
Satate
Snapper
Owasm

Oops, missed darklight's post when I sent this. oh well :-)

[This message has been edited by Kitti (edited April 10, 2009).]

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've sent it to those who have made comments, but, not those who haven't mentioned it since I've finished. I'm not going to guess who is backed up.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to send me your story. The end of the month will be crazy busy for me, so I prefer that most of the load is away from our first deadline.

Ready to Critique:
darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
Satate
Snapper
Owasm
aspirit

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to send me yours IB.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, satate and aspirit, it's on its way.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing IB's post in the short story section, it reminded me of something I was going to say a few days ago. Just to be safe, in order not to find your entry disqualified, its good advice not to post your story in the short story section with the title it was be send out with.

Its a sensible precaution we should all follow.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited April 12, 2009).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

I'm feeling dense... why would that (possibly) disqualify a story?
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

If you "publish" the title on the web, and any of the judges can see it, the anonymous state has been compromised and it could be invalidated. So, it's better to use something more ambiguous--unless you're not very attached to the title.
darklight
Member # 5213

Kitti, its all to do with possibly matching the story with the author. As the contest is anonymous, disqualification would occur if someone conected to the contest happened to recognise a name, and a title and put them together. There's probably little chance of that happening, but there's no point taking the chance. That's why our names only appear on the title page, which are then taken away when the story is sent for judging. No names of the mauscript itself.

It's just as good to give the story a 'working title' for the purposes of the boards here.

Hope I've cleared that up.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

We crossed posts, IB.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to hatrack and the WOTF group, pixydust.

The people that have read and critique my submission

darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
Satate
Owasm
aspirit

Thank you. Submissions that I have received and critiqued.

darklight
Owasm
Kitti

My inbox is empty. Please do not make me beg to read your script. Patrick James makes me beg to read his and I find it very degrading when he does.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I up and die and everyone else goes into overdrive? What's the deal with that?

So, yeah, I got through my annual review and they're letting me stick around in school to finish my graduate work. Have to get moving on it though. And then the day after my presentation, I got the flu. I mean the full out kill-you kind of flu. Still recovering.

And I need to start my story, which will happen tonight. Just trying to find the gumption to do so whilst running on 50% batteries and too many cough drops. Glad I already have this one plotted.

So, now that I'm somewhat "back" from the dead, anyone that wants to can send me their drafts for WotF stories. I'll do my best to get them back asap. Thanks for putting up with my sketchy attendance these last few weeks. Hope to make this quarter the best one yet. Later all.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Hey, WriterDan, great news about school. Not so good about the flu--hope you get over that soon.

I'm gonna give my story a good going through, taking into consideration all the critiques I've gotten so far, before I send it out again. If it's still ok, I'll probably send it over to you in a week or two.

Looking forward to reading your great story! Now get writing... go on

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
I got the flu. I mean the full out kill-you kind of flu. Still recovering

Okay, if all the submissions seem redundant and every other line appears to be repeated, it may be a sign that you are seeing double and you need to up the Motrin.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

ROFL!

Thanks for the heads up, snapper.

Ah, and figured that I'd put my name on the "willing to crit now" list. Just to be a little more redundant, but consistent.

darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
Satate
Snapper
Owasm
aspirit
WriterDan

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

So, I'm all up to date with my critiques. I'm sitting here idle cos I want to give my story a little more cooling off, and since I haven't had that light bulb moment I get when I have a great idea I want to put down on paper, I'm here if anyone wants me to look at a story or anything really.

I want to start a new story, but the ideas I'm getting right now I don't feel are worth the effort.

satate
Member # 8082

Sorry I still haven't gotten to all the crits yet. I haven't forgotten, I just had a crazy week. The one day I tell my four year old not to worry about fires, that even if there is one the fire alarm will go off, the fire alarm goes off and water begins streaming down the walls of our apartment and dripping out of all light sockets and electrical outlets. Things are finally back to normal, our carpet has dried out, and I'll be finishing the crits as soon as I can.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
My story is still in pieces, and other concerns are preoccupying my mind. I need to withdraw from the group. No one is waiting for a review from me, right?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Can I have a few more days, like two? My story's almost finished and I know the deadline is today, but if I just had another night of writing I'd have it finished.
Kitti
Member # 7277

I'd still be happy to read it in a day or two. Enough of us "cheated" and submitted early that I don't think it'd be a problem.
darklight
Member # 5213

satate, don't worry, the dates are more guidelines than anything else. It's been quite a stroke of luck that many of us have even gotten something ready for crit this early on. We're usually still on the first round of crits by the second deadline, so don't worry about those dates.

Simply put, most of us here, the old timers especially, are usually around to crit at any time. Don't rush the piece just to get it done for a deadline, finish it when you're ready, then send it out.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Exactly.

Really, the only requirement that this group has is that you give critiques if you expect to get them in return.

But deadlines? Bleh. We're just "aspiring" authors. Soon as we can get the story thing down, then we'll work on deadlines. So, try for em, yeah. But don't get all caught up with specific dates. 'Course, these are our deadlines I'm talking about. There are some deadlines that you MUST adhere to. Like, the publisher's deadlines. But enough said about that. We're here for support. Looking forward to seeing some more stories. Working on critting those I have. And...um...my story will be around sometime soon.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited April 21, 2009).]

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't talk to me about deadlines. Particularly self-imposed ones. But I should get my chapters off to the agent by this weekend (::stern glare at self: , and then I'll be good for working on other projects.

So come Saturday or so, I should be ready to do crits... and to remember that I'm participating in this contest. Well, at least I'm using a story that's already past the first draft, so I won't be too terribly behind everyone else!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Woohoo I finished it. I just have to read through it in the morning to make sure I didn't do anything stupid and then I can send it out and get back to work on crits.
satate
Member # 8082

My story is on it's way to those who are on the ready to crit now list.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still available for crits, if you haven't sent me one or want another read.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Pretty sure that I have crits back to everyone that has sent them to me. Got a bit more done on my story. A few pages of written material, and some great ideas for the end, which I REALLY need to get to. Planning on banging out some good stuff this week. Hope to be getting mine out to ya'll soon. If anyone else needs a crit, send it on over. Watching for em.
snapper
Member # 7299

I am considering sending mine away. If anyone would like a look at the rewrite (made a few changes but not many) I would happy to send it to you.
darklight
Member # 5213

I'd like to take a look. Send it my way.
Kitti
Member # 7277

Anyone up for reading mine a second time? I've put in an entire new middle which - hopefully - makes the plot a bit less straightforward and tells you more about the characters. Of course, now it's 2500 words longer and my MC is begging me to make her into a novel... or a series of novels.... We've compromised: she can start a transdimensional war, but only if she snags an HM first ;-)
satate
Member # 8082

You can send it to me.
Owasm
Member # 8501

Kitti,

I'll read yours.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Boy, this is bad. Peoples asking for second-draft crits and I'm still not even done with my first draft. Ugh. Hoping to finish this week though. Wish me luck.

Kitti, I don't think I got to read yours even the first time around. So, go ahead and send it over my way. Will be watching for it.

snapper
Member # 7299

I would like to see what you did with your rewrite, Kitti. Feel free to send it too me.

Owasm
Member # 8501

I am ready to read Second Draft Crits. Send them over.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited May 15, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

I got mine printed and I will send it come Monday.

Thank you to

darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
Satate
Owasm
aspirit
WriterDan
and
Bored Crow

for all giving me a critique. My door is open to you. Please send your scripts whenever they are ready!

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 17, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 17, 2009).]

satate
Member # 8082

I have my second draft finished. Anyone want to give it a look?
Kitti
Member # 7277

Sure, send it on over. I can get to it by the weekend.
snapper
Member # 7299

Send it to me. It may take me a few days but I will give you a thorough evalulation.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Man, I don't even want to go here, but I feel obligated to seeing as how this topic has dropped down so far in the queue.

My story is...going...well, not exactly in circles, but yeah. It's turning into something good, I think. As a plus, I finished a quick rewrite of a scene last night (first draft not yet finished--I know, bad boy. SMACK!) Was also able to get past a "sticking point" in my plot too. Everything seems to be a go now, and I'm going to buckle down and do my best to get it out in the next week or so.

Everyone else doing well? How're the stories coming? Drafting? Rewrites? Replots? I know a few of you have even already sent them in. Huzzah! You'll be all ready for the next grouping for Early submission Q04 that's going to be put up...um...oh my. Next week. I have to be kidding me.

Ack!!

Kitti
Member # 7277

Right. So that means I really should stop procrastinating and finish the last of my edits so I can turn my mind to my next monstrosity... I mean WotF entry...

Anyone still need/want crits, let me know.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a draft reading for critiquing. Any takers?

Perhaps we could start a new list of people willing to critique, because the last one is a month old.

June Willing to Critique:
BoredCrow

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

BoredCrow
darklight

Hopefully, I'll be needing some fresh eyes over mine in the next week or so. Send it over BoredCrow.

Kitti
Member # 7277

BoredCrow
darklight
Kitti

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
BoredCrow
darklight
Kitti
Patrick James

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

BoredCrow
darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
WriterDan

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey IB,

I never got a story from you. You still sending it out for crits, or have you already sent it in? If not, throw it my way. Sorry, I must have missed your announcement of completion. Just found it.

Owasm
Member # 8501

BoredCrow
darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
WriterDan
Owasm

snapper
Member # 7299

BoredCrow
darklight
Kitti
Patrick James
WriterDan
Owasm
snapper

WriterDan
Member # 6456

First draft, done and out!

Phew.

Chance to breathe...

Okay, time to get busy with the next one.

If anyone didn't get an email with my story that is open to critting it, let me know and I'll send a copy your way.

Later.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.