Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 6/27 - 7/3

Author Topic: NSG 6/27 - 7/3
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

I came very close to reaching my goal this week. I am a couple hundred words from finishing the last scene in the chapter of this week's goal. However, one scene I wrote is twice the length that I normally write so I exceeded the number of words I typically write in a week (2,700+). In addition, I had one more scene to write this week than I have had in weeks past. So, even though I did not quite finish the chapter I can certainly feel that I accomplished a lot.

My goals for next week:

• Chapters 1 - 6, Miscellaneous scenes

I may not have much time to write this week because the family and I are taking a weekend break. I may not have the opportunity to sit down and write until next week. Thankfully I have this laptop now so I hope to get some writing done this weekend anyway.

For that reason I think I will focus on some of the new scenes I came up with as I worked on chapters 1 through 6. I have some transition scenes that I developed and now may be a good opportunity to work on those instead of focusing on the next chapter.

What did I learn this week? I learned, again, that coming back to writing after ten years is not easy. In fact, it can be absolutely painful at times. For anyone contemplating quitting: don't. The longer you are away from writing the more difficult it is to get back into the flow. Just keep writing even when you're writing a crappy fantasy quest cliche like I am.

For those who participated in my Novel Viability thread; thank you.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
So I had an interesting week.

I realized that CtD is finished. The story arch is complete at 27,000 words, and there is nothing I can do to make the story streach without makeing it feel like it has been. So that Novelette has been effectively shelved.

So my two current open projects are Dragon Fate, and Dragon Fates prequel Dragon Beginnings. I've rewritten chapter one of DF, Woo hoo. Second drafts aren't so bad.

Dragon beginnings has been outlined, plotted out, and has almost two finished chapters. Someone is going to die before the end of chapter two.

My goals for this week. Kill of that "guy," and finish chapter two.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't do badly this week. Unfortunately, it wasn't all focused on what I'd said my goals were.

Last Week's Goals:
Continue work on Dreamer's Rose.

I have. I finished up chapter 3 and got a start on chapter 4. But I haven't spent as much time on it as I should.

Work on the synopsis and query letter for Book One.

Again, I have. And thank you to everyone who has helped. I still think the query needs work, though. Now it's too long.

[/b]Submit Dragons Are Forever. [/b]

Check

This week's goals:

Get back to work on Dreamer's Rose. That sound you hear in the background is a whip cracking.

Finish up a draft of a novelette/novella The Music Box. This one climbed out of my backlog and claimed my attention last week. I've made some good changes to it. But I need to finish it, so it will let me get back to Rose.

Continue working on the query letter synopsis for The Shaman's Curse. Taking another week to work on this before sending out more queries. Currently sitting at fourteen queries and six rejections.

Politely requery one agent. Her website says she responds in three weeks. It's been five. She does say to query her if you haven't heard back, so . . . .

And I'm still open to another chapter exchange on Book Two, if anybody is interested.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I did good this week and found last week's thread quite helpful as I was staring at my computer knowing I had only an hour and an half to write. My mind went blank and I didn't know what to work on when I remembered I had already made goals, yay.

Work on Chapter two of TG

I got about a page and a half written towards the second chapter and also worked on world building.

Edit Chapter Three of SS
I got through all of chapter three once but I need to read through it again.

Goals for this week

-Finish chapter two and continue working on the outline
-Read through Chapter Three and get Chapter One exactly how I want it.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

LAST WEEK

Current: Working on the agent cover letter and synopsis for "Metzgerhund Empire"
Goal: Submit my proposal to at least one agent. More is better.

I'm still highly dissatisfied with my synopsis, so I don't see it as a failure that I did not yet make contact with an agent.

Current: Resuming work on my SF novel
Goal: The trick here is that the later chapters heavily involved a theoretical physics concept that I'm still learning about. The smart move at this point would be to put the manuscript away for a while and continue my studies, so that's what I am going to do.

I've made very good progress here. Success!

Current: Resume work on my "main project"
Goal: I just recently came up with an enhanced idea for this project, so I'm expecting to complete a good chunk of it within the next week.

I've hit a good streak of creativity and clarity on this project, so I'd call this one a success as well.

UPCOMING WEEK

Current: Working on the "Metzgerhund Empire" synopsis.
Goal: Finish the synopsis, and make contact with at least one agent.

Current: Studying and researching for my upcoming SF novel.
Goal: Finish the chapter I'm currently reading...and actually understand it.

Current: Working on my "main project"
Goal: Complete at least one 'section,' and start at least one more.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heidi
Member # 8664

- posted      Profile for Heidi   Email Heidi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new. I like the idea of setting goals, so I thought I'd jump in.

I am currently working on a fantasy novel about people who fly and people who swim and people who only walk. It'a little more complicated than that, but that's about as bottom-line as I can make it. I am about half way through the first draft. It is going relatively well--I have a mostly clear idea of where I'm going and where I want to end up.

My goals for this project:
1. Write everyday, even if it's only a few lines.
2. Actually read the research I've collected.
3. To finish the first draft by the end of August. (That may be a little ambitious.)

Cheers.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Heidi! Goal setting has really helped me. If you want you can also post your first thirteen and a short description of your story. We also like to exchange chapters.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I achieved both my goals for this week: wrote a couple of skits, way too many songs (lyrics only), a few reports and other random things. And I remembered to check in!

Also just got my HM certificate in the mail for last quarter's WotF Happy Birthday to me (a few days early).

Goals for next week:
1) Continue to word-smith for the summer job.
2) Crit some things this weekend
3) Check back on the 4th.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
My week was sort-of good.

* What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Rework of the first chapter got far enough that I think it's ready for someone else to look at. I posted a revised 13 lines in F&F for novels. The second chapter got some of the same treatment, as planned.

* Describe what you worked on.
Most of the work was in tightening the writing, then looking that over to be sure that the voice and the depth expected in a novel weren't removed.

* Set goals for next week.
I expect to work the rewrites of two chapters, keep up with promised crits and work in the comments from anyone who crits the first chapter.

* Did you learn something during this week?
Ruthless cutting and tightening can make a story too dry, even for its own author.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Heidi.

I almost met my goal this week of writing a chapter. So I think that is a realistic goal for me.

Next week. write another chapter.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, kitti!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

Congrats on the HM, Kitti!

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My goals for this week. Kill of that "guy," and finish chapter two.

For a minute I thought I was on my hit man board. Don't confuse me like that Sheena!

last week's goals: Write a short story about my villain, just to firm things up.

I didn't do too badly on this one, except I was writing it on paper, and I lost it. With a little good luck, I'll find it and finish it this week. It's been really fun. It's nice to not have to worry about whether my character is behaving in a moral manner--he can be as bad as I want him to!

this week's goald: finish the short story. I'm trying to integrate my first novel with my botched second one and get the first chapter out for critique.
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal is to continue to be on vacation, and play as much as possible with my five-month-old niece. All else is on hold. ;D
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Seventh rejection just arrived in my inbox.

Got to polish up that query and synopsis and try some more.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

Current: Working on the "Metzgerhund Empire" synopsis.
Goal: Finish the synopsis, and make contact with at least one agent.

DONE!!!

Now, begins the waiting game.

Skip that. I've got an incomplete SF novel that's been calling my name for days.

S!
S!

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Typed up some notes for ideas last night.

Goal: Keep staring at my outline and notes until I decide how to proceed. That seems to be the best I can do. Its better than playing LOTRO.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you're all so incredibly busy and doing so well! I can see where this group would be a good thing - mind if I hop in the pool?

My current project is Bitrazer. It's a cyberpunk thriller/action novel. It's in its first rewrite. Yes I decided to start all over but I'm sure pieces of the first version will make it into the second.

My goal is to finish chapter three this week - the first draft that is. I'm not sure how many words that will be yet, but I'm trying for at least one chapter per week.

Did I miss anything?

-John

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, JohnMac. It's always nice to have new writers join.

I certainly understand about rewrites. I'm in the process in doing a rewrite of a novel I finished over a decade ago. However, this version is so much different that I've started this one from scratch. Sounds like you will be lucky enough to reuse pieces.

Starting from scratch has been a good exercise for me. I'm learning (and relearning) a lot. So far it is going well. Sometimes I even pretend that this version is better.

Welcome to the group.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal is to get my novel plotted and ready to be written by the end of the month. This year has been crazy and I see the only way I'm going to get it done is by sheer force of will. Currently I'm getting up at 4am and working through it each day before work, as well as a little at night after the kids are in bed, so hopefully I'll pull it off.

I'm dying to start writing but need some gaping plot holes closed before I'll be confident enough that what's going on the first draft isn't utter garbage. Plain garbage I can stand, but not that utter kind

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warm welcome William. It's great to be aboard and feel the warm camaraderie of other writers (aspiring and accomplished.)

I'm not sure how much of the old I will be able to use. I have nearly one hundred pages already and was able to weasle in only about three pages from the old manuscript so far. It's not that the new is that much different than the old (although it is taking it to new depths) just that I haven't gotten to some of the old scenes. Or there is the problem of characters deciding to tell me I had the wrong take on it before.

We'll see what happens though. I'm not losing sight of the goal.

Onward and upward!

-John

[This message has been edited by JohnMac (edited July 02, 2009).]

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.