Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2009 Q04 -- Regular Timetable

Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2009 Q04 -- Regular Timetable
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a critique group for writers that will be entering a story for the fourth quarter (yes, already!) of 2009 in the Writers of the Future contest (26th year).

Anyone is welcome to join. If you do though, please follow the directions for such. Currently, the group consists of me:
WriterDan

If you want to join the group for this quarter, please re-post the current names list in a reply and add your name to the bottom.

Deadlines for this quarter's crits are as follows:
July 1st: Start writing
Aug 14th: First drafts out for crits
Sept 7th: Second drafts out for crits
Sept 30th: Mail-in final drafts for Q04

When you send out drafts for critique, please do so in a generic format so that everyone will be able to open your file. (eg. rtf, txt. Pdf is okay too, but won't allow for in-text comments.)

Helpful links:
Short story advice from Dave Wolverton

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a next story. The one that I didn't get finished for Dec '08
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm in for this. What better way to do this than with a bunch of others just as crazy about doing it as me? I have a story already started that shows promise, so I'll be working on that one for this.

Gosh, I hope I'm ready...

-John

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So's that mean you're in, Annepin?
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

As much as I was in last quarter which, I'm afraid to say, really wasn't that in. I'll try to do better this time.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
I am definitely gonna be in the quarter after this one. So prepare yourselves...

I am at that phase where you keep starting stories but never finish any of them. There is a phase like that, right?

[This message has been edited by Icared (edited July 28, 2009).]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

lol, Icared, I've been at that phase forever.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I think that lots of people get into ruts like that, Icared. The trick is to get yourself out of it as soon as possible. Force yourself to finish a story, even if the thing absolutely sucks by the time you finish. Just completing something will give you confidence to hit the next one. Finish it too. Wash, rinse, repeat. Finishing stories, unfortunately, is part of the profile. Luck!
arriki
Member # 3079

Yeah. In first drafts I give myself "permission" to write absolute garbage. Without the pressure to make it great from the first, I can usually pump out the whole story. The rest is all clean up and revision and sweating it out, but I DO have "a" story to work with.

Saying that, I'm halfway through the story about Cory. This is I don't know what level of revision so I'm sort of cheating compared to those of you who are starting from ground zero. It's allowed thank heavens.

Where are you guys?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hit the 7k word mark late last night, and I'm guessing that the end of this one will come in somewhere around 11-12k words. Of the six scenes that I have planned, four are out, and that just feels marvelous. Doubt that I'll make the 14th deadline though. Will probably be about a week late. Going to Yellowstone this weekend with family and friends. Hope everyone is well. Looking forward to seeing some good stuff from you all in the next couple of weeks. Anyone else care to elaborate on their progress?
annepin
Member # 5952

Will. submit. this. time!
arriki
Member # 3079

With luck -- no more car repairs or other disasters -- I will have a good version of CORY maybe as soon as next week.
arriki
Member # 3079

Actually. I've been working hard and I think CORY is ready for a first reading.

Who's game? It's a fantasy. Two fantasies in a row! How unlike me.

I'm already contemplating my next which should be another sf story.

arriki
Member # 3079

Anyone willing to read CORY?
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'm back from vacation and need another one to recover. What else is new?

Deadline for first drafts is coming up in the next three days. Arriki, if you're ready I'd say just start sending them out. You're close enough, and people will get them back to you as they are able.

I'm excited to finish up and should be able to in the next few days or so. Shooting for the end of the week.

Luck to everyone!

arriki
Member # 3079

I think (read, hope) that Cory's ready to ship out finally. Anyone else willing to give it a final read?
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I don't think I've read it this time around, arriki. Send it to me.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, mine is out. If anyone didn't get it that wants it, let me know.
arriki
Member # 3079

I had to take a break from critiquing.

I'm working on RESCUE MISSION, a lysiscan story. It was 29,521 words. The WOTF max is 17,000. That's over 12,000 words to cut out. I'm learning a lot about what's important to the story and what's not. I only THOUGHT my prose was lean.

12,000 words. Can I do it?

Going to have to kill a lot of my babies - stuff I really, really liked to reach 17K.

arriki
Member # 3079

You know, RESCUE MISSION is down to 23,000 words already. I may be able to cut it down in time for the wotf 2010 first quarter after all.

I don't think anyone here has read this retread of mine. It's got aliens and they've got interstellar ships but we don't get to see any of those. And it's all played out in the cold, a bit like FISH STORY only on a world far, far away.

arriki
Member # 3079

anyone here whose story I haven't returned yet?

annepin, Icared, JohnMac -- where are you in writing your stories?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 17, 2009).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

I've only received the first half of a crit from you, arriki
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Any luck peoples? How's the writing coming? We're coming up on one-month-to-go. Anyone need pre-draft advice? I'm open for just about anything at this point.
arriki
Member # 3079

It is just me or as this and the other WOTF gone a bit inactive?

arriki
Member # 3079

It's about as polished as it's going to be. I'm printing CORY off today and mailing it out Monday.

Good luck to all of us.

Isn't it about time to hear about the third quarter stories?

WriterDan
Member # 6456

If it was a "normal" quarter, then I'd say yes. But this last quarter had not only the writer's workshop, but it was also the 25th year anniversary. So, BIG celebration, and lots of planning to be sure. I'm guessing things will be a little delayed. Can't say that I'd be disappointed to be disappointed in that though.

I'm bout halfway through my second draft. Things are coming along smashingly well. Tell you what, stories under 10k words are certainly much easier to get through than those that are longer. I should have learned this a long time ago.

arriki
Member # 3079

Cory is off. On its way to California.

Thanks everyone who read through it for me.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

AHOO-GAH!

Two weeks peoples! Deadline approaching fast!

How's it coming along? I've noticed that a few have already sent off their final drafts. Congrats! Anyone else in need of any last-minute help?

Nose to the grindstone.

Let's get those entries in!

Good luck everyone.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey all,

So I know we're late in the game, but was curious if anyone would have time to read through my close-to-final draft. Story line is pretty much the same as before, details have changed though. If you do, lemme know.

After thinking about things, I think I'm going to re-draft an old story that got straight up returned to me a couple of years ago instead of writing a new one this next quarter. That way I can get ahead of things and not find myself in this position any more.

Thanks.

arriki
Member # 3079

I'll try.

arriki

But you know how tough a critic I am.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

And it's off!

Hallelujah, this quarter is over.

Thanks, everyone. This story turned out really good. I appreciate all your efforts on my behalf.

See you all next time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.