Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Nanowrimo 2009 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Nanowrimo 2009
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Not doing Nano, but I'm checking in to see what you guys are doing. Very impressive!

quote:
Oh, hey, does anyone know anything about wills and trusts? My MC's mother is killed by her lover, the supposed father to my MC. I want to have her set up my MC's trust & care arranged so that the lover benefits with the kids living and is severely penalized if he offs the kid, too.

Okay, I am not an attorney, but then I don't think this is really giving legal advice. It probably depends at least a little on where your characters are. I would have her set up a trust for the children, with the remainder, if the children die before adulthood, going to a charity. The lover can be paid out of the trust for taking care of the kids. But he won't get a dime if they die. Of course, she'd have to name someone other than the lover as trustee to keep him from raiding the trust.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, google mail aka gmail has a free word processor program sort of similar to word if you want to set up a gmail account you can work online and save it online, too.

Hmm, could this word processer be utilized on a blackberry or the new Droid by Verizon?

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Every now and then, I send my sister an e-mail with my story on it. Then I save it on a flash drive as well. And a good thing too, because there seems to be a Nanowrimo Hatrack Computer thing going on. My husband had to wipe our computer clean and restore it over the weekend. I think my Nanowrimo story is still there, but that flashdrive saved me a lot of worrying while I was computerless. I didn't get anything done over the weekend, but I knew that would happen. I had the loose ends of living to tie up, you know? I'm almost exactly where I should be--at 11,600 words. I'd like to add in the hint of a buffer before next week at this time.

Good luck this week my friends!
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Done! 50,300 words in eight days.

I'm not quite half done with my novel, so I will continue apace. Well maybe not at quite the same pace, but I'll keep piling on the words.

I'm actually pleased with how this is coming out. The story continues to surprise. An amazon-type warrior-ette showed up that I didn't plan for. She ended up giving my hero a token that he will use later when she lies moldering in the jungle. Also this weekend saw a three thousand year old woman giving our hero a gift. Another tool for his future. Sound corny beyond belief?

Perhaps, but that's NaNoWriMo for you.

Keep writing.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, decent rate Ken. And gotta love those amazon-warrior-ettes. They remind me of an episode of Futurama...

My Nano ambitions, little that they were, have fallen by the wayside. I'm currently engaged in a short story project that seems to be calling to me more. Not to worry: Onwards and upwards, to loftier heights and more egregious cliche use nevertheless!

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm, pardon my lack of tact, but are you human? Great work!

Great work everybody! We survived the first week. Hooray!

The end of the week had slowed to a crawl but I spent all day today writing. My total right now is 17,724 words.

Ten things I learned in my first week of NaNoWriMo:

1) I don't actually write any faster, but I get more done because I'm not being picky about word choice and I am moving ever forward.

2) What I'm writing isn't that bad, but the above is easier to do if I assume that any and all words are going to get rewritten anyway.

3) I CAN go back and add a line or two here and there if I think of it later. I don't consider that editing. That's writing and I don't want to forget the idea. It would take me as long to make a note as it does just to add a line, so I just add it.

4) My boyfriend is awesome and patient and supportive. He's there when I need him and gives me space when I need to write. I couldn't ask to be with anyone better. I need to make sure he knows how much I appreciate him, especially during NaNo.

5) It's easier to focus if I take my netbook to Starbucks and keep the WiFi turned off.

6) I need to limit the number of 'brain' games I can play online when I'm taking a break/procrastinating.

7) Eating and sleeping are necessary.

8) It's best if I leave off with an idea for the next scene and type it in the space where it's going to start. Then I already have a direction for the next day and don't feel so much pressure when I sit down wanting to churn out 2000 words.

9) Caffeine is good.

10) If I can't find a block of time, a couple hundred words here and a couple hundred words there still help to keep me on track. It all counts.

What have you learned?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Forrest
Member # 8460

- posted      Profile for Joseph Forrest   Email Joseph Forrest         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just broke 20K so I still feel like I'm doing good.

To answer Genevieve's question...
I've learned that pushing ahead is a good thing.

Ideas birth new ideas and if you don't stop you won't ever have too.

I also have learned that I am fully capable of doing this writing dream if I really put my mind to it and not much can stop me but me.

I've also learned that there is a lot I don't know but that I'm ready to learn.

NaNo is probably the best thing I've done in a while.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I learned that this book has been simmering in the back of my head for years--I just had to add some characters. Nothing I've ever written as come out as easily as this.

I've also learned some of the same things genevive42 has learned--especially that it's best if I stop writing at the beginning of a new scene instead of at the end of the last scene. It helps me to pick right back up without doing much rereading, which is very important because my inner editor just can't stand reading it yet.

BUT--genevive42 says that if she can't find a block of time, a couple hundred words is good. That doesn't work so good for me right now. Things go much more smoothly if I type for at least 2 hours (maybe 1, if I'm in a crunch), and use those smaller blocks of time to do a little research, get to know a character better and just generally get myself so excited to write the story that it pours out when I finally sit down.

The other thing I'm learning is that my writing is better if I've been eating healthily, I'm pretty caught up on my sleep and I've exercised some.

The best thing I've done is start taking a leisurely quarter mile walk before I start a major writing session (and I only got lost the one time).

I don't have loads of time to write--only six to eight hours a week that don't involve losing sleep, but so far I've only needed to stay up really late one time (and that's probably the section I'll end up deleting completely).

This is my third year of doing Nanowrimo, and the first year that it hasn't felt like a complete frenzy the whole time. I seem to be making habits I can stick with. If writing was my full time job, 50,000 words in a month seems relatively reasonable, although I'm not sure I would do it this way 365 days a year.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Meredith! That is what I figured. The executor of the trust is someone who has deep suspicion of the lover so that works out well.

What I have learned is that I can narrate really quickly. I think the main reason I am over 20K is because there is not really much dialogue in my story. If I had a lot of dialogue I suspect my word count would be not nearly so high.

I have also learned that it is painful to be writing on one project when another is screaming to be worked on.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Unwritten, is that a nano technique? Cut and copy?

I like to spend longer blocks of time writing. I find that my mind is sort of like a flywheel. It takes a bit of time to get the wheel spinning, but once it does, the ideas flow. It does get a little hard to sleep sometimes because at the end of a writing session at night, the wheel continues to spin.

Short sessions barely get the wheel spinning, for me. I would imagine if you look at my scenes, they are shorter in the beginning of a writing session.

I also find that, for me, dialogue pushes the action and vice versa. I've really tried to keep narration down to a minimum and do as much showing as I can. My thinking there is that it will cut down on the rewriting, with perhaps an uptick in grammar editing.The only thing that dialogue slows down, is I have to remember to put beats along with the dialogue.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
8 days, 14,363 words. What have I learned?

1. No T.V. while writing. My husband usually leaves the T.V. on in the background while playing WOW. When I try to write with the T.V. on my rate drops from 1000 words/hour to 100. Music seems to be fine though.

2. Every little bit counts. A couple hundred words here or there on nights when I only have 1/2 hour of free time has really helped me stay on track. It keeps me thinking about the novel even if I can't write it until later.

3. I have ADD. Not really. But I've found I can only sit and write for about an hour and a half before I need a break. I'm not bored with the story, I just can't maintain focus for that long. Sometimes just going upstairs to get a snack is enough, sometimes I take a longer break to do yard/housework.

4. You guys are awesome! Every time I don't feel like writing I come over here to check out what you are up to. Your progress is so inspiring I get right back to it. Thanks!

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all, for your advice on my Word problem. I've started in a new document, from the beginning of chapter seven, and so far had no problems with it. It's just a pig to know how many words I've written as I keep having to add the total words of the original document, to those of the new one. I think I'm going to go ahead and tranfer the old file to wordpad or something as a safeguard.

Kayti, you mentioned printing the document. I only wish I could. I'm out of ink right now, and since a new cartridge costs me the equivilent of a days wage (I realise that doesn't sound a lot, but to me, its way too much) I can't afford one at the moment. I'm not even sure, with Christmas on its way, if I'll have one by the time I need to print my next WotF story. I also remembered last night I have an online back-up store that came with my anti-virus software, if only I knew how to find it, so should have a copy there if the worst come to the worst.

As for lessons learned. This is my forth NaNo and it has taught me that I can write a much better story this way. Better as in, every word is relevent to the story. There are no long winded pages of narative that would later be cut. I also work better to a deadline, even if it is really a self imposed one. No, I couldn't write like this all year round--though I used to when I first started writing many years ago, I would write three to ten thousand words a day, every day, but then, most of it is now in the trash can.

As for length of writing session, I can write either way. On my days off from work, I aim to write 200 words an hour, every hour, which usually takes me ten minutes to write. But I can also have four and five hour breaks, and have an hour session where I'll get 1000-1500 words down. I certainly can't write for more than an hour at a time. I get kind of tense if I write for too long, and need to go do something else for a while, even if its some housework.

Also, if I'm watching a TV show, I like to rattle of a hundred or so words in the advert break. If I watch a couple of hour long shows, which is usually on a Thursday evening, I can soon get eight or nine hundred words down on the page, and still watch my show. Plus I don't have watch the dreadful adverts.

Considering the migraine I've had since friday, that I now think is a virus since my son has it too, has been hampering my ability to focus, I'm about to break the 21,000 word mark. But to be honest, I'll be glad when its all over!

Owasm, you're amazing! I think we'll all doing great, keep it up!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, Spokane Sunshine and annepin, I've noticed that you haven't posted your word counts over at NaNo. Are you still with us?

One more thing I've learned is to take a break when you need it. And no, the time you spend bashing your head against the monitor because you don't know what to write doesn't count.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
22 thousand in a week. What have I learned?

1) Just write. It might not come out exactly as I saw it in my head, but then I can't get my head published some day.

2) Just write. Ideas look better on paper than swirling around in the nether.

3) Just write. You can't edit a blank piece of paper.

4) Just write. Editing sucks anyway.

5) Just write. Your characters will ignore you no matter what you do, so stop fighting them.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Thanks, Meredith! That is what I figured. The executor of the trust is someone who has deep suspicion of the lover so that works out well.

Wills have executors. Trusts have trustees.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kayti, you mentioned printing the document. I only wish I could. I'm out of ink right now, and since a new cartridge costs me the equivilent of a days wage (I realise that doesn't sound a lot, but to me, its way too much) I can't afford one at the moment. I'm not even sure, with Christmas on its way, if I'll have one by the time I need to print my next WotF story. I also remembered last night I have an online back-up store that came with my anti-virus software, if only I knew how to find it, so should have a copy there if the worst come to the worst.

Darklight, if you can put the document on a CD or a flash drive and take it to a local printer (the one near me has to have it as a PDF file) you can have them print it out for much less than the cost of an ink cartridge.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
6120 and feelin' fine.

I actually do have ADD and I would rob a bank for an hour and a half of focus. I try so hard to keep my BIC but still find myself realizing something that needs my attention right away, like loading the dishwasher at three in the morning. I actually sometimes start writing another story in the middle of the one I'm working on. (I know I'm bad but I delete most of them, so I'm actually doing more words than is up there, but I think writing half another novel inside of my real novel is cheating.)

I do love this, writing this book feels like I'm opening a tap and it just gushes out, like it did when I was a kid. I'm also getting writer's highs like you wouldn't believe and I'm sitting on a writer's headache right now, all of this means I'm doing good. I did the math and at 6000 words and twenty two days left to do it I have exactly 2000 words a day to go. Just thought that was funny.

What I learned from this week, I spend way too much time not writing. This isn't time I'm doing other interesting things, just time I'm spending telling myself I should be writing. Also when I'm in a big writing session the less thinky games are the better ones. The other day I actually loaded up Diablo II.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Kathleen, I've been thinking about doing that, or, even better, being a little cheeky and asking a friend to print for me, with a little recompense of course.

I've actually been feeling quite down about my story. It's not the usual thing I write. I tend to go for a lot of fast paced action, but this has been more leisurely, strolling along for a while, a quick burst of action, and back to strolling. It's going to pick up soon, and the last third will be quite different, but I've not been all that happy with it, but I feel much better now. I explained the entire premise of the story to my seventeen year old son this afternoon, who is very good for bouncing ideas off and giving honest opinion, even if he doesn't read the stories, and he said it sounded very good and even helped me with some ideas for some tricky parts I hadn't quite figured out yet. Ok, it's only my son, but our conversation has given me a boost.

Just to add to things learnt. I've learned that I'm obsessed with updating my word count. I do it after every three or four hundred words. I just can't stop myself.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
KayTi, Spokane Sunshine and annepin, I've noticed that you haven't posted your word counts over at NaNo. Are you still with us?

I've learned over the years that trying to get on the Nano forums/site in the first few days of Nano is a pain in the patooty, so I had been avoiding them. I keep a separate spreadsheet with daily totals (and separate files in scrivener for each writing day.)

I uploaded my end-of-yesterday word count (I'm right on pace) and am hoping to get another 1k words in tonight.

I think what I am learning the most is that I'm not making this the priority it should be. I'm finding lots of ways to waste time instead. I think I'm just not particularly into the story yet because we're not into the high action (and because i should have outlined more, sigh.) But also I need to do something different for next year, because writing about life on space ships/in space is starting to grate on my nerves a bit. No characters running through grass or getting stuck out in the rain. Little limiting.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Another thing I learned. I used to hate coming up with names and substitute swear words. Since I don't have time for heavy contemplation of these things during NaNo I just make some fecklespit up and keep going.
ArmadonRK
Member # 8864

- posted      Profile for ArmadonRK           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, boy am I behind. I won't say it couldn't be helped, I didn't bother to speed it along, although I did run into some trouble that forced me to stop writing and go back to the scribbling/brainstorming/outlining phase. I am incapable of writing if there is a detail I come across that I don't know. I don't need to know what's coming step by step, but I need the trivia that invariably winds up being important, like the exact village a character is from, or the nickname of a girlfriend, or the ethnicity of a minor antagonist. When such a hiccup arises, everything comes to a halt until I find my answer.
So today is a day to get all that out of the way and back to work.

But first I have to go back and change the country a major character is living in, since I realized my first run through was too haphazard. Someone needs to jump across the Atlantic Ocean.

Congratulations to those who are way, way, way, way, way ahead. I don't know how you guys did it, but I admire your focus and dedication. Some of you either you have a phenomenal work ethic, or you got very carried away.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone
I love the enthusiasm here! I logged 16,265 words last night before bed and hope to round the 20K turn today. It's been very different from last year, for me and I have learned different things.

1) I planned much better this year and for me, that has made a world of difference. I have strayed from my outline but that structure helped me understand more readily how the variations will work. More than anything I realize that I am not a pantser and likely will never be, and that's OK.

2) It's OK not to have everything planned! I can still write if there is a bitty piece of research not completed. (rolls eyes- what a dwb)

3) I write better under timed sprints. I am also a member of the RWA FFP (romance writers association fantasy...etc) group. They have an ongoing chat room that runs 45 minute group writing sprints. After the sprint we fess up to what we have done and talk about problems. I love it. I can't google some odd gold rush fact when I am racing the clock.

4) I loooooooove writing. 8) It's fun. That sobering post in the general forum notwithstanding, I hope I can do this for a living some day.

8)
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

I found in writing my three novels (two not yet complete) this year that I am pretty much a controlled pantser.

For me, I need at least a wireframe of the story I'm writing.

My first attempt was about pure pantser style. All I did was jot down my character names so I could keep them straight.

My next attempt was very controlled (as a result of Liberty Hall's Midsommer Madness). I found that I didn't get as much into the story as I'd like and I had to plop in additions to the plot both before and after my outline. That one ended up at 90K+ words and is scheduled for a rewrite in Jan.

I seem to have reached a happy medium with my NaNo novel. I spent a lot of time worldbuilding... This actually makes writing as a pantser easier because you don't have to pause to figure out distances or coinages or whatever, which is, to me, a writing impediment. My outline consisted of writing a treatment (pantser style) and sketching out scenes on a spreadsheet that had character names (I tend to forget them as I write) that act as my wireframe.

So I'm not quite halfway through (55K words) and I can write the story to hit certain wireframe points to maintain the MC's growth and progress. I've already realized a new ending is required because the vision of the overarching story is coming together and the project is expanding from heroic to epic fantasy.

Nano has forced me into figuring this out. What is interesting to me is seeing all the different styles and writing experiences shared on this thread. I'm looking forward to lots more in the next 20 days.

Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote: KayTi, Spokane Sunshine and annepin, I've noticed that you haven't posted your word counts over at NaNo. Are you still with us?

I'm here. I have written a bit, although not as much as I should have since I came down with a really nasty bug. Then I had to put some fires out at work, so that has eaten into my free time. I've got about 5,000 words, and plan to catch up within the next few days. I haven't posted my wordcount because I haven't been able to get onto the Nano site for a few days (it's always closed for maintenance when I check). I'm glad I checked here for updates; thanks for thinking of me.

What I've Learned:

1. It's way too easy to fall into the trap of "if only I had the time".
2. With a goal of 1.600 words per day, it's really easy to fall despairingly behind.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I'm slowly falling behind as well. I'm at 13,500 words, which doesn't seem to bad at first, until you realize that the last 1,500 words took 4 days to write. Ah well--tomorrow is another day, and my big projects are mostly over.
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Help! My characters have nodding-itis. They all nod to each other all the time. sometimes they bob their head in agreement or what have you, but help! How can I portray some kind of agreement (one of the main characters is giving orders/directions to the rest, getting them to agree on course of action, etc.) without so much nodding? I'm honestly afraid some will get whiplash before too long!

I'm at 17858 so far, so I'm doing fine (I'm a little bit ahead) but I need a solution to this horrible nodding disease before I drive myself bananas!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Your characters are kids...watch/listen to your children and see what they do. Maybe the answer is right in front of you.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
nodding disease

cute, makes me think of the 'poochy lip' or something else that Patch the Pirate would sing about.

darklight
Member # 5213

So, its been one of those days today. Got 600 words written before work, which I was very pleased with, since I'm now only a couple hundred off 25,000. Good start to the day, I'm happy, its going to be a good day. So wrong.

Just before I set off for work, I go tell teenage son, who didn't get up when I woke him up an hour earlier, that I'm going. Aparently, its my fault he didn't get up, so is the the fact that I forgot to make him a cup of tea, and that his dentist appointment this afternoon is at an unsuitible time for him, because he'll lose out on the time he gets to spend with friends.

All the way to work, I get some not very nice texts from him. I ignore them, since I don't want to deal with this before or at work.

Break time: Get some texts, then a phone call from daughter. Mum, there's something wrong with the dog. He's bright red, his skin is all saggy and his face and neck have swollen up. Rushes home from work, gets dog to vet. An allergic reaction. One and half hours of missed work and one £34 injection later, I get home. So today I've earned precisely minus £25. Not good. After I get the dog home, he jumps up, hits the top of his head under the windowsill. I now have swallon faced, bleeding head dog. I then have to go out, to come home to swollen faced, bleeding head, all-over-body knobbly dog. Oh, and I haven't written a single word since this morning.

I have to take angry teenager to dentist soon. I'm not looking forward to that. Hope to get some more words written later; I'm not staking my life on it though.

How's your day going?

Joseph Forrest
Member # 8460

- posted      Profile for Joseph Forrest   Email Joseph Forrest         Edit/Delete Post 
darklight, here's my suggestions:

1. Punch the teenage boy in the mouth. Serves two purposes. He will shut up and respect his mother and the dentist visit will now be required.

2. Put the dog to sleep. I don't mean kill it. I mean put it to sleep...with sleeping pills. Then it won't be able to get into anything to have allergic reactions.

3. Quit your job, because coming home with negative money is bad. Better yet, ask for a raise.

4. Ignore everything I just wrote because I'm only hoping to make you smile a moment and maybe forget about having a bad day.

As for me and my writing, I've been sick the past couple of days and I've gotten virtually nothing done. About 500 or so words a day I think. When my head hurts and I'm stuffy I really don't feel like doing anything but laying around and being a lump somewhere.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I'm not a parent so take my suggestion for what it's worth.

1)Take the cell phone away for a week. Texting is a privilege. You abuse, you loose it.

Oh, and BTW, if he's over 13, he should know how to boil water. If he doesn't, he's not going to learn any younger, as my father would have said.

2)I am a dog owner. If the dog is crate trained, now is a very good time for the crate. The dog can relax in it's den, won't be stressed, and can't get into any more trouble.

3)Take a deep breath.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited November 11, 2009).]

SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayti, I had to laugh at all your bobble head characters.
Sometimes a head tilt means yes.
Sometimes a raise of eyebrows means yes.
Both of these are the kind of yes that is a little surprised to find they agree.
Or mostly, I think hand gestures. A finger point. "That's it!" or
Both hands out, palms out, held up vertically can mean 'yes, yes, okay!' or 'I get it!' as well as other things.

Or just have them look suddenly thoughtful. Or just say "Okay."

Or she could just read his assent in his eyes/expression/face.

As to teenaged son and the big bad day: Sorry! My response to my children when they were being was always the same (well, as long as it wasn't abusive!) "I love you, too!" and then you do what you gotta do anyway. If they can be silly-hostile we can be silly-loving.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
I hit a slump at 25k and have been trying to get myself out of it for the past 3 days. I kept writing really short scenes and the words weren't coming at all. If it weren't for nano, I would have probably given up and not written anything. So that's what I love about nano!

Today the words came back and I have to say there is something empowering about hitting 30k. I've got a better idea of how I want this one part of my story to go. I am hoping to get another 2k in tonight.

Good luck to everyone, especially those who have had real life setbacks!

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting to the point that I don't even want to open up my Nano file. I get on the computer to write, and I look through my files saying "What else do I have."

Closing in on almost 12,000 words, not bad since I lost almost five days to dumb computer problems.

I just don't want to write this story anymore. Can I start a new one, do you think? Maybe mix them together in an inedible pile of words.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Sheena--if you can stand the slowness, go take a look at the Nano forums. They'll give you some ideas of how to have some fun with your story. Who knows? One of them might catch. Actually, who needs the Nanowrimo forums. We can give you some fun ideas.

1. Use the travelling shovel of death.

2. In the next 2 pages, bring your main character to the brink of death.

3. Add a romance (OK, knowing you, you've probably already got one. Now switch it up.)

Kayti--My characters all have to pause and thoughtfully consider the question before nodding. Or they freeze, and have to force themselves to move again. Maybe you should be grateful for the problems you've got.

I cracked 15,000 today. I want to be at 25,000 by Saturday, which will be quite a challenge. BUT, I have a babysitter watching my son for a couple of hours tomorrow, so I'm really hoping to have hit 20,000 twenty four hours from now. My "wow the words are just flowing from my brain" experience is now over. It was very fun while it lasted.

I did figure out a very important plot twist this morning, and I'm relieved, because I was beginning to think political intrigue was just asking too much of my imagination.
Melanie

ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your bad day, darklight. And about the ADD Pyre.

Have you ever read The Blind Assasin by Margrat Atwood? She has a character who is a writer for the pulps. The book has a fantasy story, a current story and a woman's memoirs going on all at the same time. Don't delete that other novels - maybe they can fit in somewhere.

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Owasm hits 60,700 words.

I'm a sucker for challenges. Obsessed? Maybe a little. I was going to watch the Utah Jazz on TV tonight but they sucked so I got in more words than I intended.

My story is moving right along and in the direction I wanted. I just finished one of the BIG turning points tonight and go into uncharted/outlined/figured out territory for the next 20,000 words.

Darklight, sorry to hear about your day. I've had a few myself and have darker days ahead, but I'm clear for the rest of November anyway.

Keep at it, everybody!

genevive42
Member # 8714

I just broke 21,000 words.

Today I had to take my boyfriend to the eye doctor (He is legally blind and has a myriad of problems, all of which are under watch and treatment but only so much can be done.) The thing is, what is usually a rather long appointment went really fast every time I opened up my netbook to work on my NaNo story. I got a few hundred words in while his eyes were dilating but every other time they were super speedy to show up and call him in. Since I was in the middle of a scene when we left we went over to Borders where I finished the scene I was working while he listened to his ipod.

darklight, if you drink I suggest you have one good one at the end of today. Savor it, enjoy it and try to find the humor in the sheer absurdity of the scale of how bad a day could actually be. If it were in a story, it might be funny. Remember, comedy is tragedy that happens to someone else. Maybe make some of it happen to your characters. Here's to a better tomorrow.

Good luck all. I know many of you are past it, but I see 25,000 coming up in the next day or two. Can't wait.

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Owasm hits 60,700 words.

Freak.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArmadonRK
Member # 8864

- posted      Profile for ArmadonRK           Edit/Delete Post 
Going to do some reasonable catching up today, I think. I feel like I'm about to hit the 'breaking point' in my writing.
I don't know how it is for some of you, but for me the earliest work I do always feels forced. I'm shaping my characters into people they're not, and forcing them to do things against their will. Eventually I reach a 'breaking point', when I stop writing the characters, and they break free of my control. Then I'm just telling the story around them, and I don't even have to think about the characters any more and they just do what comes naturally to them. For me that's when the story really becomes worth telling.
I'm not quite there yet with this story, I still feel like there's more to be written and decided and told about them, more shaping to do, before I can really let loose, but I'm looking forward to hitting that moment soon.
Today I've had two instances of long passages revealing things about characters I had never planned or intended, which is the first sign of it all coming together.

[This message has been edited by ArmadonRK (edited November 12, 2009).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
I finally rolled over the 20K mark yesterday.

had a bad couple of days with a rotted beam and tub of bondo, but I'm good now...
Oh yeah... lost a few brain cells to bondo...but they were extra anyway.... 8)

Sounds like everyone is having a month, except Owasm who is writing machine.
8)

Keeping writing!!!!

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thank you everyone. I really apreciate all your thoughts and comments. Joseph, you did make me laugh, thank you!

I've had a much better day today, no mishaps, the dog looks like a dog again and my supervisor at work is letting me make up the time I lost yesterday, so I'll be in work earlier saturday and sunday.

I made around 2000 words yesterday, and am aiming for about the same today, but probably not going to make it. My goal is 30,000 by the end of tomorrow. I feel much happier now I'm past 25,000, its a good place to be.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

quote:
I don't know how it is for some of you, but for me the earliest work I do always feels forced. I'm shaping my characters into people they're not, and forcing them to do things against their will.

Especially so in this story. That's the beauty of Nanowrimo though--I got sick of the beginning so I jumped ahead and after writing 50+ pages this way I realized that the whole beginning would never happen to this character anyway. That's why I hated it so bad. Still looking for a good starting spot though.

I'm happy to be at 20,223 words today. There's still a shot I can make it to 25,000 by Saturday night. If only I could have another day like today. I'm really hanging onto my sleep time so far. I have only sacrificed a few hours of sleep at the Nanowrimo altar. That may change this weekend.

Owasm
Member # 8501

The NaNo bug still has its teeth in me. Another 4,000 words tonight.

This is the pivotal moment of the novel and I didn't know how it was going to come out. I'm sure I'll have to rewrite more angst and tears and regrets into it, but for NaNo, just words... just words.

I just hope there's not too much telling, but it had its surprises. My MC was supposed to face the world alone, but he's picked up a sidekick. I don't know what this guy's significance will be since he showed up out of the blue.

genevive42
Member # 8714

23,202 words

Had a good session tonight after work, even if it did include a half hour nap in my desk chair with my feet up on the bed.

I finally figured out my soundtrack for this thing. It starts with the soundtrack to Firefly, then it goes to a cd of a Chinese singing trio we picked up while we were there. Then onto Mongolian throat singing, a friend brought that back. And then some mellow Moroccan music. Though I don't know if that one is authentic or just inspired by. I usually prefer very authentic, but this one works as good background music. It ends with the soundtrack to Mr. and Mrs. Smith which has a fun, upbeat element to it.

I am really starting to get into a groove with my characters. The humorous element of my story isn't as strong as I had originally thought it would be but there is a lot of heart I didn't know was there either.

About a month ago I posted a question about figuring out how to determine the main character in an ensemble cast. Well, what I've discovered is that the crew of the ship is the main character. The pov shifts from scene to scene depending on whose pov is the most critical or the most interesting for that scene. But the story is about the crew. No one person is always the center of attention. This started out being a challenge because I had to get into each person's head and I didn't know them all that well yet. Now, even though I'm still learning new things about them, it's flowing much more smoothly. ArmadonRK
is right about that breaking point. There's a section coming up that I can't wait to write. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Keep writing everyone!

Joseph Forrest
Member # 8460

Work and some sort of evil magic has conspired against me to stop my story. Workload has picked up a lot in the last week. Military life is unpredictable at best.
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I think I'm starting to get it!

OSC talks somewhere about how your first draft is really just a learning experience and won't bear much resemblance to the final copy. After writing my first novel I couldn't imagine how anyone could go to that much work and then throw it out in the trash as a "learning experience". But this Nanowrimo story I'm really starting to get it. The first time through is really just an oportunity to get all my ideas down, and as I do it, I'm learning about the characters and letting the story take me down unexpected paths that might or might not go somewhere in the end.

The character I've developed by the middle of the story bears little resemblance to the one at the beginning, and so that all needs to change too.

Rather than constantly going back and rewriting, I just make myself a note and ride the story to the conclusion as though it was a galloping horse. By the time I'm done, almost everything about it needs to be changed, but I've learned some incredible things I couldn't have learned any other way. So this is not the time to worry about whether I'm showing or telling, or if the dialogue to exposition ratio is perfect. It's not even about getting the characters names perfect.

When it's done, I'll give it a few months to rest and then try it again. I think that would be the perfect time to outline it and make sure the names are right. Then I can cut and add and do all the things to make it shine.

Everyone has their own writing style, and I think I've found mine!

darklight
Member # 5213

Well, I just broke the 30,000 word barrier. I feel as if I could write another 1,000 words tonight. I'm at an interesting part and I can't wait to get to the exciting bit and don't want to stop, but it's almost 11.00 pm and I have to be up at six in the morning for work, and if I don't stop writing an hour before I go to bed--something I learned a long time ago--I dream about my characters and that just screws with my brain.

At least I've got lots to write about tomorrow. I feel this story is just getting going, and I have a lot in front of me. 50,000 words just isn't going to cut it.

If I'd have to say one thing I've learned these last few days, it would be that slow and steady is much better than writing a whole lot in one day, and burning myself out. In previous years of doing NaNo, I've gone for the 'write as much as I can in a day' approach, sometimes 6-7k in a day, but then had some days when I've only managed a few hundred words. This year, I've kept it pretty much to a 2-3k a day, with one exception of a little over 1000 one day, and I think I'm going to get the 50,000 done in less days than I have before.

Unwritten, about knowing things will have to be changed later, but waiting for the rewrite. I agree. I know there are parts I'll have to go back and reorder and add some stuff to. I only hope I actually end up liking this story enough that I think its worth spending more time over when the end of the month comes.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited November 13, 2009).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I think I'm going to like this story enough to work on it, but it's going to be at least as many years of editing as my first Nanowrimo project. That's a sobering thought.

But then I remember that every minute I spent on that story was worth it, and I'm cool again.

genevive42
Member # 8714

I broke 25,000 words. Woohoo!

But I really don't want to see the repair bill.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.