Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 11/6-11/12

Author Topic: NSG 11/6-11/12
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I had goals last week? It is so difficult to believe that it is Friday already. With work and the holidays time is flying by. Needless to say, I did not accomplish a thing.

My goals for next week:

• Brainstorming characterization for main character

I just need to do something for my novel this week. Anything.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing here.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Decent week.

Last Week's Goals:

Dreamer's Rose: Let it rest for a bit.
Well, that was easy.

The Shaman's Curse: Stop obsessing about the check lists and get back to work on the query and synopsis.
Not so easy to get myself back to work on these. But I have to do it.

The Ignored Prophecy: Start mapping out the revision to the first couple of chapters. I think it will tighten up the opening.
Other than letting it roll around in my head a little, nothing here.

Blood Will Tell:
Continue working on the revisions. Get to work on the query letter and synopsis.
I'm only three chapters from the end on the first revision, but I'm temporarily stalled. And I already have some notes for the second revision. I did start on the synopsis.

I did also write a 3000 word short story, which might, at some point, clean up fairly well.

This Week's Goals:

Dreamer's Rose:
Continue to let it rest.

The Shaman's Curse:
Alright, enough is enough. I can procrastinate with the best of them. But I need to get the query and synopsis fixed and start sending this out again. Really.

The Ignored Prophecy: Start the revision to the first couple of chapters.

Blood Will Tell: Finish up the first revision. Work on the synopsis and the query.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited November 06, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
NaNoNaNoNaNoNaNoNaNo
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got about 1/3 of the writing done I needed to do for my Real World Commitments. Bleh. It's all nano's fault.

On the nano front (which I was supposed to ignore until after the RWC deadline) I've written 28,000 words and it's early Friday yet. No way is the current draft going to be publishable without a start-to-finish overhaul and maybe even complete rewrite, but I find it fascinating what parts of my life I'm mining to plow through this thing. Even in my urban fantasy, I've never given a character so much of my Self as I've given this one. A bit scary, actually.

Goals for next week:
1) Finish RWC so that I can keep bringing home the Meow Mix.
2) 10K on Nano.
3) Make a decision about some world-building changes I have been considering for TGS (science fantasy, query coming to F&F soon)

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Still outlining one, editing APtW, and rewriting my latest short story in first person.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pontifax
Member # 2414

- posted      Profile for Pontifax   Email Pontifax         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my goal for last week was to join this group, so I'll check that one off as a win.

Goal for this week is to write one chapter. A small goal, perhaps, but I just can never seem to actually sit down and write, instead preferring to just imagine the scenes in my head.

I don't have a title yet, so for the sake of this board, I'll just call my WIP, "BISHOP", until I decide. Hope everyone hits their goal!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrapped rewriting the latest short story. I'll just wait until all the crits are in. I did, however, begin expanding my WotF HM entry into a YA novel. (Imagine that, huh?) Still outlining; still editing.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Owasm said.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Pontifax, can you talk the scene into an mp3 player or other audio digital recorder? Then transcribe it into a chapter that way?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pontifax
Member # 2414

- posted      Profile for Pontifax   Email Pontifax         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen,

No, I've never tried it that way. I usually pace around the room either talking it out to my girlfriend or to my other writer friend on the phone, but I've never tried recording it. That might be a good idea to try, though when I talk the scenes out, I can see what is happening vividly, though I rarely use the details that would be required to put pen to paper. Thanks for the advice!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.