Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG--12/4-12/10

Author Topic: NSG--12/4-12/10
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

Well, I barely remembered to even post to the NSG, let alone do any writing.

My goals for next week:

• Brainstorming characterization for main character
  • Develop mutually exclusive internal conflicts

I have the same goals as always for now. I'm hoping I may be able to do something during the Christmas holiday. I will have a week and a half off so you would think I'd have the time.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing here. Good luck to everyone else!

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very bad week. So far I've spent just about all my free time battling this #%$@^ computer virus. And I still haven't got it licked. And I'm reluctant to do very much work on the computer right now, since I don't know what's going to happen to it or its files.

Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Continue to let this one rest.
Well, at least I achieved this goal.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Work on this query.
Nope.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Wait for feedback.
I guess I can claim to have met this goal, too.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Wait for feedback.
The one bright spot. I heard back from my reader on this one and she loved it. Said it kept her up til 2:30 one morning reading it. I like to hear that.

SEVEN STARS: No specific goals for this one.
I guess I can claim this one, too.

OTHER: I still need to work on revisions to my two short stories, Dragons Are Forever and The Seeker, so I can get them out there.
Nope.

This Week's Goals:

First and foremost, get this virus thing taken care of. Otherwise, pretty much the same as last week.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Continue to let this one rest.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Work on this query. I'd really like to start sending this back out before the first of the year.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
Wait for feedback.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Think a little about a possible sequel. I love these characters.

SEVEN STARS:
No specific goals for this one. This is my playground right now. I didn't do much with this last week. Time to get back in the sandbox.

OTHER:
Same as the last two weeks. I still need to work on revisions to my two short stories, Dragons Are Forever and The Seeker, so I can get them out there.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited December 04, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All (waves)
I'm dropping in for support finishing the first draft of my Nano Novel.

Last week's goals were to navigate the dangerous shoal of family politics and still write my 2000 words a day for nano. LOL.
Whew! made it!

My story, Working title San Francisco, is a time travel historical set primarily in 1850 gold rush California. Currently I have ~52K words in first draft and plan around 100K total finished first draft.
Each day I write no fewer than 2000 words and also keep a SuperNotecard deck up to date on the outline, characterization and major plot arcs. I am currently up to date on this.
I also made a major change in strategy this week to use multiple POVs, not just one. this has changed the structure and I up dated my outline and deck.

Next week I plan to:
-write at least 2000 new words each day.
-keep my SuperNoteCard deck up to date on structural and character changes
-I also need to do some research on life aboard a mid 19 Century American Clipper ship. One of my MC's is currently crossing from SF to Hong Kong and back and I need to have some scenes that add color to the crossing, not just that his mentor has betrayed him (whichhe has and is the point of the crossing).
-I need to review my current scenes and see if any need to be rewritten in a different POV now that I have decided to use at least 2 and maybe 3.

Leslie

Oh, what did I learn?
That I can write in multiple POVs and the world as we know it will not end. LOL

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited December 04, 2009).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I accomplished my (meagre) goals from last week, all except the actual mailing of my WotF story (which will happen as soon as I can get to the post office during business hours.)

Goals for this week:

The Good Samaritan
post the query up on Hatrack for ppl to comment (yes, I have to make this a goal, or I won't do it...)
do character studies on some of my minor characters

Stormborn
list main plot arcs to make sure I'm not dropping anything important
continue banging away on edits of first third

Mudlarks
list main plot elements introduced
use above to start outlining the "big murky middle"

Kindled Shadow
do character studies on my main and minor characters

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I only accomplished getting my NaNo novel through the MS Word spelling and grammar checker.

I did some thought work on Panix and made some notes. Now I have to sketch out the changes. I have at least one new character to insert all over the place, a new start with more detail and extending the villains' story arc further over the ending. It's a daunting task.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Metzgerhund Empire
I actually worked on the query letter this week. Sometimes, I astonish myself.

mainstream novel
The ideas are coming to me faster than I can write them down. At the beginning of this project, I was concerned about having only one tangible story arc. Now, I might have too many. I consider that a great problem to have.

SF novel
Still in the middle of my research phase. I probably won't start the second phase of writing by my proposed January 1st date because the mainstream novel has become more involved than I expected, but I'm not stressing about it. Gives me more time to research.

WotF entry
This particular SF short story recently came back to me with a rejection slip...and handwritten crit notes from four of the mag's readers! Their feedback motivated me to pause on my novels long enough to get this one to WotF by the next deadline. I haven't entered since 2008's 3rd quarter, and am glad to be back.

new SF short story
I wasn't supposed to start working on this one just yet, but, are you all know, when ideas show up, you do something with them. The plot is no farther along than it was before, but I'm really liking the new First 13 I wrote.

What did I learn?
I learned how to spell 'armoire'.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.