Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 12/18-12/24

Author Topic: NSG 12/18-12/24
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Welcome, Lyrajean. Always good to have a new person join us. I agree that treating this like work gets boring. I think I may have done that a bit much when I was writing earlier in the year.

Last Week's Goals

Again, I did not write at all this week. I'm still busy with my work project unfortunately.

My goals for next week:

• Brainstorming characterization for main character
  • Develop mutually exclusive internal conflicts

Still the same goals as always for now. Christmas is coming soon and hopefully that I'm hoping I may be able to do something during the Christmas holiday. I'm not giving up.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing here. Good luck to everyone else!

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot wait to join this group
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
My upcoming goals are fairly straightforward:

- finish the YA novel query letter.

- continue my researching and studies in preparation for writing phase 2 of my SF novel.

- continue with my mainstream novel.

non-novel goal: finish tightening my WotF entry and get it to the post office.

S!
S!

[This message has been edited by Crank (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I haven't posted here in a while. The last time I did, I think I was working on RITN. I'm now focusing on a different novel. The working title is DeCo, and the current draft is so far at about 24,000 words.

Next Week's Goals

• Write every day.
  • Locate the handwritten scene that drifted to a hiding spot. Type the scene before it disappears again.
  • Interview a friend about her childhood experiences, if she'll let me.

*Edited to replace HTML with UBB, because too much of my brain is soaked in stubborness.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited December 19, 2009).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Still a bit slow-going, here. But better. The "new" computer is up and running, anyway.

Last Week's Goals:

Now that I've got the "new" computer, it'll probably take me a while to get everything loaded. Some things, I just have to type back in because I don't trust any files to be transferred from the old computer at this point.

DREAMER'S ROSE: Continue to let this one rest.
Well, that was an easy goal.
I got lucky on this one. I was afraid I'd have to type a lot of it back in, but it looks like the last clean back up had pretty much everything in it.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Work on the query.
I did that. It was one of the few things I could do while between computers.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Wait for feedback.
Got the feedback yesterday. She liked it very much. She said she was sorry when it ended. She wanted more. Which is good, because there are going to be two more books.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Think a little about a possible sequel. I love these characters.
Nope, I was too busy to do much thinking.

SEVEN STARS: No specific goals for this one.
Another easy goal.

OTHER: I still need to work on revisions to my two short stories, Dragons Are Forever and The Seeker, so I can get them out there.
No. I didn't do this, either.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
This one will rest a while longer, at least until after the first of the year.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
I've got a new version of the query that I like much better. (I will have to type that back in, but it's only one page, so no biggie.) I need to have a look at the synopsis so I can be ready to send this back out after the first of the year.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
I'll have to retype the last set of revisions. At least I have the hard copy to work from.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
I'm just starting a chapter exchange with this one. Again, I'll have to retype the last set of revisions, but I can do it one chapter at a time as needed for the chapter exchange, so that won't be too bad.

SEVEN STARS:
I'm in the middle of getting this typed back in. Fortunately, I hadn't gotten too far--nine chapters and some notes. And I did have the older, novelette version on backup, so I won't have to retype everything.

OTHER:
I still need to work on revisions to Dragons are Forever and The Seeker. Unfortunately, the critiques are on the old computer, so that probably won't happen until after the first of the year.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Still considering the new outline for APtW, still working on the Iliad-based Historical outline, still finishing my WotF story, and mapping milieu for Father's Son (Post apocalyptic fantasy).

Learned a bunch about premise, plotting, outlining and drafting, which leads to characterization and pace.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Found a gracious reader for my first draft of Bellian.

Wrote a few pages for my Panix rewrite. Lots of cogitation involved. I don't have writer's block, but I'm not getting the inspiration I need to smooth out the scenes by going through the draft.

I'll probably go back and re-outline the scenes.

No real goals for this week or next with the holidays impinging on my thoughts and time.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wasn't quite as productive as I wanted to be this week, but not bad. I rewrote my query and did some outlining. Also wrote about 3K on Mudlarks. The Real Life Stuff is still lagging behind everything else, but I'm making some progress there.

Goals for this week:
1) Chapter exchanging on TGS
2) More sequel outlining - haven't quite got it all out of my system yet!
3) Work on my new WotF idea
4) Catch up on all the Real Life Stuff that got put on hold when my computer went in for repairs.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Aack! Christmas is getting in the way. I haven't done any of my goals, but I did finish all my Christmas shopping. Then my daughter got sick is up all night and when it's night and I'm supposed to write I'm too tired. Next week will be better.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I made my easy goal last week. This week will be even easier. Write for an hour at least three days this week. With the craziness of Christmas, I hope I can accomplish it.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week's goals:

Sorry, didn't get anything done

Next week's goals:
Christmas! I love Christmas, but I doubt I'll have time for anything else.

Thanks for letting me join anyway, I'll try to be more productive come the new year.

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back in the game. I don't seem to have covered any new ground yet, but I've edited every morning for...
well, for at least two days.

That's good, right?

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark Warrior--
Can't wait to have you join.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Unwritten, I will be officially joining NSG 01/01/10 at 00:00:01
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to join back in.

Here's what I'm working on.

Dragon Fate My New Year's resolution this year is to finish the second draft, get this puppy ready for publication, and then to start querying the heck out of it. My goal for the next two weeks is to complete revisions on Chapter One.

Closing the door I finally know how this baby is going to end, and my goals for the next year is to have the courage to be as honest as the story will require, and finish. My goal for the next two weeks, is to reread what I have written.

Dragon beginnings I love this one so much, but then only wrote two chapters worth. Goal for the next year is to write down the outline, so I can remember where the story is supposed to go.

Nano project Deleted. Cry and then move on.

New fairy tale This is my playground. My goal is to revise my eyes out, and then come rest and play in this world and see what happens.

Glad to be back. Have a great Christmas everyone!
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
So many new things...
I've taken the notion that I should do as much as I can here at Hatrack. So I'll jump in here as well.

The ever-pervasive pull to work on the behometh(Million+ word, into book 3 [of 5] fantasy/adventure cat-tastrophy that I hope I am able to salvage.) still haunts my every waking moment. It is a huge epic, but I honestly believe it has the legs to finish the race. I found a brave soul willing for the moment to read the whole manuscript (bk1). She may curse the day I was born by this time next week. It is a good story, just written by an novice. (anybody ever heard that one before?)

WotF - working on my very first short story... LOVE IT! It may not be worth a flip yet, but I am having a great time working on it.

I am considering expanding the 'Cinders' trigger story to a full length novel. Planning on making a good showing for the 'Cinders' contest.

AARRGGh...I just burned my breakfast! Oh well, you know what they say; "Toast is cheap!"

I plan to start at least two more writing projects after the first. I really love Fantasy so that'll most likely be where I go with it.

I hope you all enjoy the holidays and arrive in the new year safe and sound, with your imaginations fully engaged and your hearts pounding with the excitement of unfettered creativity.

Deauxglas

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Posting late! I forgot, what a lame brain. LOL.
Last week:
-write at least 2000 new words each day.
-keep my SuperNoteCard deck up to date on structural and character changes.
-complete a rewrite on a short story that I have targeted to send next friday. It's nearly done but needs one more go around.
-Read and crit at least 2 shorts this week.

Critted 1 short, but am working on critting OWASM's Nano novel, so I guess that counts. I got a rewrite request from Everyday fiction, so I workd on that and sent it in yesterday. And made my 2K words, but just barely. busy week! I did finish the rewrite on the short, but have not sent it yet. The anthology deadline is 1/5 so I am letting it percolate for another day or so.

This week (next week)
-reach the 90,000 word mark on my novel- that puts me 1 week to the end. Yay!
-keep my SuperNoteCard deck up to date on structural and character changes.
-Finish critting OWASM's Nano novel
-*REALLY* send that short off to the anthology!
-complete my first draft of my 2010 goals. Time for goal setting!

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.