Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 1/1 - 1/7

Author Topic: NSG 1/1 - 1/7
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Welcome to a new year. I hope everyone had a happy and safe new year celebration.

Last Week's Goals

I did not do anything, again; typical. I'm hoping to change that .

My goals for next week:

• 2010 list of goals
  • Brainstorming characterization for main character
  • Develop mutually exclusive internal conflicts

This week I want to sit down and write out my goals for the year. I think this will better help me focus on what I want to accomplish. Right now doing anything for my writing will be a step forward.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing here. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all have a great 2010!

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdh
Member # 8946

- posted      Profile for pdh   Email pdh         Edit/Delete Post 
New to forum.

Goals last week:
Characterization - worked on fleshing out main character background.
World building - Narrowing down locations and time period for storyline.
Research - Studied space medicine and fire suppression in microgravity.

Goals next week:
Characterization
Plot conflicts
World building

pdh

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pretty good week. I'm still working on getting back into my momentum.

Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: This one will rest at least until after the first of the year.
Easy goal.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Type in the newest version of the query and have a look at the synopsis.
Query yes, synopsis no. So I guess I met half of this goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: I've got a chapter exchange going on this one. Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back.
Yes.

BLOOD WILL TELL: I've got a chapter exchange on this one, too, which is helping me to find some of the weak spots. Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back. And continue to type in the revisions that were on the old computer, to bring the version on the new computer up to date.
Again, yes. I've gotten some good feedback on parts of the story I hadn't given enough definition. And I've only got four chapters to go to get the revisions back in on the new computer.

SEVEN STARS: I need to brainstorm this some more.
Bad idea. The only real way ideas come to me is if I'm writing. I can sit around and pretend to think about it all day and it won't do any good. So, I started writing on it again. Guess what. I started getting new ideas.

OTHER: I still need to work on revisions to Dragons are Forever and The Seeker. Unfortunately, the critiques are on the old computer, so that probably won't happen until after the first of the year.
Nope. I still need to plug the old computer back in and try to get the critiques off, one way or another.

MISC.: Install the new router so I don't have that kind of computer problem ever, ever again.
Well, I tried. But it just doesn't want to connect through the router. I'm going to have to try again.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Continue to let this one rest. My plate's too full to go back for these revisions right now.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Have a look at the synopsis so I can be ready to send this back out early next week. Like Monday.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
I've got a chapter exchange going on this one. Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
I've got a chapter exchange on this one, too, which is helping me to find some of the weak spots. Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back. And finish typing in the revisions that were on the old computer, to bring the version on the new computer up to date.

SEVEN STARS:
This is still my playground. No specific goals.

OTHER:
I still need to work on revisions to Dragons are Forever and The Seeker.

MISC.
Try again to install the router so I won't have that kind of computer problem ever again.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:
  • Finish WotF entry - Done
  • Begin Second Draft Outline of APtW - Done
  • Begin 1st Draft Outline for TMC - Done
  • Begin 1st Draft Outline for EAD - Not Done
  • Research more about Myrmidons - Done

So, all in all, not bad.

This Week's Goals:

• Continue APtW Outline (Characters, Plot and Milieu all fleshed out)
  • Continue TMC Outline (Some Characters and Milieu need fleshing out, but detailed plot)
  • Begin EAD Outline (Some New Characters from the short story, adding to the Milieu and Plot)
  • Continue Myrmidon research

Happy New Year! May everyone succeed with their goals in the novel arena. I know this year is mine for focusing on long prose.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week (12/25-1/1
-Finish the first draft of San Francisco!
-Finish critting OWASM's Nano novel (by sunday)
-complete my first draft of my 2010 goals. Time for goal setting!
-figure out how Meredith gets those colored smileys in her posts.

So I did not so bad! Thanks Meredith I got my first draft done, Yay me! Finished OWASM's review (OK by thursday...), did my goals and met my standing goals. Now I need to shift gears a bit to add a new YA fantasy that I am starting, code named Inbetween, and start on the rewrites of SF. I don't want to post it for review until I have done one rewrite.

Standing goals: (that's easy)
-write at least 2000 new words each day.
-keep my SuperNoteCard deck up to date on structural and character changes for my current WIPs (SF and In between)
-Read and crit at least 2 shorts or 1/2 of a novel each week.

Next week:
-Complete the second draft on the second 10K of SF
-complete 14K of Inbetween ( this gives me my 2K/day)
-meet standing goals.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Worked on Panix rewrite (not nearly enough)
With many thanks to LAJD, I have a good look at my draft. It looks like my MC did too much observing and not enough acting, among other first draft issues.

Next week:

Work on Panix rewrite

Write down Bellian thoughts. Compare my initial impressions on what my NaNo novel needed with Leslie's. Some are the same

I will finish Panix rewrite before I get to Bellian, later this month.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited January 01, 2010).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
GOALS FOR LAST WEEK:
1) Continue chapter exchanging TGS - yep. This has been incredibly helpful. I've got a to-do list a mile long of all the little things I need to clean up before I submit to an agent.
2) Work on new WotF entry - I did about 1K on this, not bad.
3) Real Life Stuff - um, no. Oops.
4) Get ready to move. Again - yep. Moving is waaaay too stressful, if you ask me! But I get five whole months in my next place, so maybe I'll get to settle in a little bit this time.

GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:
1) Continue chapter exchanging TGS
2) Research police and ER procedures
3) Real Life Stuff
4) Move

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
This Week's Goals:

ISLANDS IN THE SKY Working Title

• Brush up characterization
  • Begin outline

THE LUNAR WARS Working Title

• Brush up characterization
  • Begin outline

Misc-Practice for novels by:

• Continue WOTF Q02 project
  • Edit and Submit No Quarter (Sci-Fi short) for pub
  • Research The First War(Historic/Sci-Fi short) for pub
  • Continue read of Writing the Breakout Novel
  • Review Scene & Structure
  • Review Handbook for Writers

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • Lou
    Member # 8795

- posted      Profile for Lou   Email Lou         Edit/Delete Post 

Hi Ya'll, can I join?
    I started hanging around here a little in September but I still feel like a newbie. I have been working on this book, A View From the Sands, which is a Sword and Sorcery tale about a world of gladiatorial conquest. It's a dark and brutal story that is now finished at just under one hundred and eleven thousand words.
    I don't know if this is quite the right place for me at this stage. Any suggestions or directions will be taken as acts of kindness.
    So I guess you could say that my goal for last week, finish the last edit, is done.
    For next week I need to search for someone who can give me feedback from a serious proofread, find out currently correct methods to present my work and the proper publishers to approach.
    Is it still proper to find a buying publisher before approaching an agent?
    Wow, so many questions pop up that, until now, seemed somewhat in the realm of 'someday - maybe'. It seems overwhelming, daunting.
    Any suggestions?
    Lou

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Meredith
    Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
    quote:
    I don't know if this is quite the right place for me at this stage. Any suggestions or directions will be taken as acts of kindness.

For next week I need to search for someone who can give me feedback from a serious proofread, find out currently correct methods to present my work and the proper publishers to approach.

Is it still proper to find a buying publisher before approaching an agent?

This is absolutely the right place for you. Welcome aboard.

For feedback, my recommendation would be to ask for a chapter exchange. You critique someone else's novel, chapter by chapter, and they critique yours. In doable bites of a chapter at a time, rather than the whole thing in one gulp. I'd offer, but I've already got a couple of chapter exchanges going at the moment. And this may not be the right kind of story for me, anyway. Just post that you're looking for a chapter exchange and sooner or later someone will answer.

My understanding is that the usual approach is to find an agent first and let them approach the publishers. At least, that's been my approach so far.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited January 03, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    aspirit
    Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
    Last Week's Goals:
    • Write every day - Accomplished
    • Increase the draft's word count by at least 3,000 words - Fell short by 500 words
    • Research the primary setting - Kind of accomplished, indirectly

The friend I mentioned two weeks ago let me interview her after a New Year's Eve party, and another of the party's stragglers hung around to add to her answers.

I'm not going to set specific goals for this week. Mainly, I need to work through a few personal issues that are distracting me from the novel. Meanwhile, I'd like to smooth out my outline.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    ScardeyDog
    Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
    Last week's goal:

Apply the snowflake method to clean up my nano novel's plot.
    Still haven't done this.

Next week's goals:

1. Same as last week.
    2. Write for at least an hour on Mondays/Wednesdays

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    InarticulateBabbler
    Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
    So far, so good:

• Continue APtW Outline (Characters, Plot and Milieu all fleshed out) - Check.
    • Continue TMC Outline (Some Characters and Milieu need fleshing out, but detailed plot) - Check.
    • Begin EAD Outline (Some New Characters from the short story, adding to the Milieu and Plot) - Check.

As of now, I' shooting for:

• Completing APtW outline.
    • Completing TMC outline.
    • Continuing EAD outline.
    • Constinue Myrmidon research.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    dougsguitar
    unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
    Floundering... floundering... just let me get through Week One 2010.
    IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    MAP
    Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
    Welcome pdh, Lou, doug'sguitar and anyone else who is new.

I am floundering too. My whole family has been sick this last week including me, so my focus was to make sure everyone survived. Which we did .

I really need to focus and get some serious writing done. My goal this week is to write two chapters.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    shimiqua
    Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
    My husband has been home the last two weeks.

No writing has been done.

He is back at work now, but I am sick.

Still no real writing done.

2010 is not going the way I planned it too.

This writing thing is no fun.
    ~Sheena

Okay, so that was a little bit fun.

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited January 05, 2010).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Unwritten
    Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
    I only have two chapters left to edit in Earth's Gate. After that the plan is to brush through it one more time and start sending it out. Very exciting! Unfortunately,

I woke up early this morning to work on those chapters, but I just couldn't make myself do it. The last chapter I edited really threw me for a loop. In the end, I think I changed every single word. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, and now I'm feeling burned out.

But I must keep going! The next 2 chapters need a lot of work too, but come on Melanie! It's two chapters. In the vast scheme of things, that's nothing.

So, my goal is to have finished at least one of those chapters by Friday. Finishing the whole book would be acceptable too.

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited January 06, 2010).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.