Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 1/15 - 1/21

Author Topic: NSG 1/15 - 1/21
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

Currently I am using the Snowflake method to get a more solid plot / outline for my Project: Life novel. It is slow going but it is forward progress at least. I am happy with what I have come up with so far.

I also did some world building on my fantasy series (Project: Epic for now). I am very excited with the subplot I developed for that one. Project: Epic is something I will work on the side for a while because I have many ideas for it and it will certainly be more than a stand alone novel.

My goals for next week:

• 2010 list of goals
  • Make some progress on something

Right now I still don't want to make any specific goals. I mainly want to feel that I can get back into the habit of writing. So, for now I will work on the Project: Life outline and go from there.

What did I learn this week?

I can't think of anything specific that I learned. I got the impression that a few in the group were less than pleased with their progress for last week. All I can say is please keep visiting here even should only be able to post "Wrote nothing." At least that will keep the writing in your subconscious and eventually you will get the urge to write again. That helped me anyway. I hope it helps you all as well.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally was able to lay a couple of pages down--though I fear they may be a false start.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
An okay week.

Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Continue to let this one rest.
Such an easy goal.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Have a look at the synopsis. Continue sending this one out.
Still haven't looked at the synopsis. I did send out another query that didn't require it. Got rejected the same day. That's number 23.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: I've got a chapter exchange going on this one. Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back.
Yes.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back.
I'm one chapter behind on the revisions, but the story has improved considerably.

SEVEN STARS: This is still my playground. No specific goals.
And, even though this is supposed to be the playground, I haven't spent any time here. Just one note for something that happens well down-story from where I am.

OTHER: I still need to work on revisions to Dragons are Forever and The Seeker.
Yes, I still do.

MISC. Try again to install the router so I won't have that kind of computer problem ever again.
Okay, I'm going to say it here so I can hold myself accountable. I am going to do this this weekend. Really. I am.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
This one is starting to nag at me. It may be close to time to take it out of the drawer and see what it needs.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Have a look at the synopsis. Really, I mean it this time. Continue sending this one out--more than one stinking query a week. Let's try for two. No sense getting crazy.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
I've got a chapter exchange going on this one. Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back.

SEVEN STARS:
This is still my playground, but it seems like I need to make at least a little goal to move it forward. Finish the current chapter. How's that?

OTHER:
I still need to work on revisions to Dragons are Forever and The Seeker. And, soon, I'll be adding my entry from the "Cinders of the Great War Challenge" to this list.

MISC.
Try again to install the router so I won't have that kind of computer problem ever again.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been struggling to make time for my writing since the New Year. I did re-write several chapters for the novel I've been chapter-exchanging with Meredith, but that's about it.

Goals For Next Week:
1) Write. Something. Anything.
2) Seriously buckle down on fellowship applications and my dissertation chapter, which is now overdue to my advisor.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm less worried about a "false start" now. I actually tore across my library, scoping out beginings. I decided not everyone can have a first sentence hook like Brandon Sanderson--not everyone is writing that type of story.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
*Hangs head in shame*

Nothing this week in novel land.

Goals?

Nothing. Personal issues may prevent even a look. However I will 'try' to get back to Panix and on track next week.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent a good part of the week rewriting the last chapter of my book. It was a lot harder than I thought to make all the pieces come together. It's done!

This week: Clean up that last chapter. Begin my final sweepthrough, and write a query letter. I promised myself I'd start sending letters to agents before January is over.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well, the Bad News is: it was a false start.

The Good News: I wrote 1,200+ words last night, that began with a great sentence--which was a hook in itself. This opening I have no doubts in.

So, though I wrote twice as many pages as I currently have, I'm left with something better, cleaner, hookier, and feeling more confident.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 18, 2010).]

MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't make my goals these week. I got sucked into a novel and reading it took over my writing time, but I finished the novel.

This week, I am taking a break from reading to get my writing back on track.

This weeks goal. Write two chapters.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I'm glad to hear it IB!

Have any of you just recently thought to yourselves, "Gee, I wish I could critique a query letter." Well, if so, today is your lucky day. My query letter (minus the personalization for each agent) is available for you to tear apart. Just let me know!

Melanie

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited January 20, 2010).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Sure. Send it over.
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
@Unwritten

E-mail it to me as well. I'll be happy to take a look at it.

-- William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
@Unwritten

Sure, me three

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

Unwritten,

If you want another reader, I love query letters.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

MAP--
I'd love another critiquer. Send me an e-mail so I can send it your way. Thanks!
Melanie

MAP
Member # 8631

Unwritten,

I sent you an e-mail.

dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
In the past 6 days I've played 20+ hours of geetar music! So the writing action has been very light. Gotta gig Friday night...

I sent the 234,000 word kraken to a beta reader! I will publish that book one day!

Yep, yep.. that's about it this week.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.