Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 2/26 - 3/4

Author Topic: NSG 2/26 - 3/4
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Looks like we had a slow week for novel writers last week. I hope everyone is doing well.

Last Week's Goals

I had some good brainstorming sessions for my outline last week. I'm still trying to get a good focus on a process for developing story ideas but I feel that I'm making progress at least.

My goals for next week:

• Brainstorm sessions for outline
  • Work on Project: Life outline
  • Critiquing

I'm keeping the same primary goals from last week. However, I do need to find the discipline to work on those items more frequently during the week. Much of my excuse lately has been the Olympics. I've often gotten distracted in the evening watching TV. The Olympics are over soon so hopefully that will be one less distraction, maybe.

I will also help critique a fellow Hatracker. This will be good for me also because we all need practice at editing so that we can better analyze our own work, difficult as it may be to turn off our emotions regarding our own work.

What did I learn this week?

Just keep writing. What I *need* to learn is discipline. This will be the hardest aspect for me.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, where did the work week go?

I made up a revision list for TGS and started pounding away at it. Also revisited my query, researched synopsis writing, and made the plunge into researching agents. (My brain hurts.)

Goals for Next Week:
1) Pound out at least another 7 of my listed revisions on TGS.
2) Return to my poor neglected WotF entry.
3) Write 500 words for CI 2010.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Work on the revisions.
Yes. I've got three and a half new chapters at the beginning. I like this starting point much better.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Leave this one alone for a while.
Easy goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back.
Yes.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Work on the query and synopsis some more.
Nope. I was bad.

SEVEN STARS: Keep on writing. Don't let it lose momentum again.
Yes. This one is coming along, now. Just shy of 40K words.

OTHER: Update my new blog and try to keep it updated at least once a week.
Twice. Once with my story from the charcter challenge. Once with another blog post.

MISC. Try again to install the router so I won't have that kind of computer problem ever again.
Well, my shoulder is finally starting to feel better, but I didn't do this.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Continue working on the new starting point and then work on revisions.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Continue to let this one rest a bit.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
I've got a chapter exchange going on this one. Make revisions as the chapter critiques come back. Think about how I want to change the beginning.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Work on the query and synopsis some more. Prepare to submit it again--and again . . .

SEVEN STARS:
Keep on writing. Don't let it lose momentum again.

OTHER:
Update my new blog and try to keep it updated at least once a week.

MISC.
Try again to install the router so I won't have that kind of computer problem ever again.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Trish, I'm new. My goals for this last week were:

Finish the rest of the prologue for Reaver.
Yay! I actually managed to do this!

Refine my query.
Sadly, no, I did not do this. For whatever reason I am strugglin through the query.

Run through a second edit of Reaver.
I started this, but I might be procrastinating since I've only got through three pages. Oops!

Post for the first time on Hatrack.
Yup, this one is done! And I'm glad because I think this is going to be just the help I need.

Next week's goals:

Finsih the second edit of Reaver. If that means making cuts (and I think it will--cringe!) then so be it.

Write five different versions of a query. Maybe that way it won't feel so intimidating.

Relpy to at least five other people's first 13.

I wish everyone luck with their week and I look forward to seeing how you all did!

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! A vacation and an illness and the month is shot. However, I have been writing and logging in my Excel worksheet.
My goal was to log 40,000 words by this point in the month and I have reached 35K so I am not far off even with vacation and illness. The other major goal was to have San Francisco Draft 2 completed by months end. I am behind on that goal but maybe able to make it if I push through the rest of the weekend.

I've been meeting my standing goals easily (except for days that I was sick or on a plane) so I am no longer mentioning them - they are assumed. (2K a day, crit and work on grammar.)

By next week I should have draft2 of SF sewn up and will probably put it to bed for a week and work on shorts for Wotf maybe? Or go back to the YA novel that I have begun and set aside when SF derailed in January.

What have I learned this week?
Microtension--the concept that each sentence has to have enough tension to pull the reader along. Stephen King, James Clavell, Dan Brown all masters of microtension. I'm re-reading Clavell's Asia series and am completely transported by them and also find it hard to find a single sentence where I can put the books down. Where I do not want to read the next one. THATS MICROTENSION!!! LOL.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Trish,

I met my goals last week, just barely.

Next week. Finish another chapter, and work on critques.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geekyMary
Member # 8905

- posted      Profile for geekyMary           Edit/Delete Post 
What's a good way to set goals when I'm revising? Word count doesn't really capture what I'm doing, as I'm often cutting as much as I'm writing new, or changing.

Time, maybe? Chapters? What works well for y'all?

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new to this group.

I thought joining would be a good way to set-up a system of accountability, i.e. making goals and reporting to others. I've been struggling with my Depression lately, so productivity has been very low. Just so you know, I am a newbie writer who has never published nor submitted. My goal this year is to change that (at least the submittal part).

Projects

Celebrity Farmer (SS - hoping to submit to WOTF)
Ding Dong, We're Dead (YA Novel)
Bordertown (Fantasy Novel)

None of the above are finished. They are in varying states of completion, but I think Farmer is the priority since I'd like to submit it to WOTF.

Goals
1500 words per day.

Finish a first draft of Farmer by Friday.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Moving right along with two: APtW and and Untitled One...

I'm getting psyched for the Superstars Writing Seminar...

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm getting psyched for the Superstars Writing Seminar...

Don't forget to let us know how that goes. I really wanted to attend (it's within driving distance, even), but I just can't swing that kind of money right now.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of at least one other Hatracker going--though, she doesn't comment much here anymore.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.