Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
My story went out today. I wasn't pleased with my two candidates and pulled out a 10,000 word story I wrote a year ago and polished it up and sent it out.

It's gone. Now on to the 4th Quarter!

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Drafting...drafting...drafting...

<<looks_up_at_calendar>>

Nuts!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So I'm guessing that most of you read this announcement already because it was in the most recent emailed newsletter from WotF, but on the off chance that you haven't...

"COMING SOON: In the very near future, we will be accepting online submissions for both stories and illustrations. This is part of the upgrade being done on your Writers and Illustrators of the Future website!"

I thought this was particularly interesting in light of the fact of how many times I've heard panels at cons talking about submission types. I must admit that it makes me wonder how many more submissions WotF will be getting in the "near future". Is this a sign of the contest hitting the up-and-up? Makes me wonder if it'll make the contest more difficult to win (because of more entries) or more difficult to judge (because of more entries ) or (more than likely) both.

Something to watch for anyhow.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
That is good news because I believe my q1 entry was lost in the mail. I e-mailed Joni over a week ago but haven't heard. If it was I'd love to send the same one off again, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time...
That would leave me two quarters in a row with no entry. =(

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

I think the entry number will rise. I'll bet it already has likely gotten so large that working with hardcopy entries is excessively unwieldy. Perhaps they'll be able to load everyone's ms into a kindle or ipad and do some fast winnowing without lugging around boxes and boxes of paper.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing that one of the previous first judges had some kind of allergic reaction each quarter (puffy eyes, runny nose, etc) to all the boxes and boxes of manuscripts (paper dust or some such), and probably would have preferred dealing with electronic submissions.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
With each new quarter being the biggest yet, I have been wondering if they will make a more significant change like reducing the word limit from 17k to around 10k to make the reading of all of them easier.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my story yesterday and it arrived this morning at 7:45 am. At least I know they got it. (Thanks to the USPS delivery confirmation, not WotF, yet.)
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Printed it out and realized that when I changed the story's name, I changed it in 2 out of 3 places, not all 3. Nice big obvious sloppy mistake within the first two pages (counting cover sheet as page one). I guess that is why we read the hard copy over before mailing it.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
It is mailed.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Working on a third draft, and undertaking serious re-writes. Ugh. I don't know if this is going to be feasible or not. Already up to 65 pages. That 68-page limit is peering at me with a fair amount of menace.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my Q03 entry in right before the Post Office closed. If I wrap up my Q04 fast enough I could actually have 3 entries into WOTF at the same time, hopefully the Q02 results start flying at us soon though (saw the first set of HM's)
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

It's in.

And I only noticed one colossal mistake after it was gone.

I think I'm going to go die now.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Just got my confirmation e-mail. At the ed it says : Good luck with this quarter and DO LET ME KNOW THAT YOU GOT THIS
MESSAGE.

Do you just send an e-mail reply saying got it?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like that's what they want, TamesonYip.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent mine two days before you did and I haven't gotten an e-mail. Hmmm.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I usually hit 'reply' to say I got it and Joni has always sent back a personal response saying thanks for the submission and adds a little plug for the next quarter and the WOTF youtube page.
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Ok- I replied and said e-mail received. I am such a newb.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I got my confirmation at 11:20 pm PST. Joni is working late.

It also said:

"WE WILL, WITHIN THE WEEK, BE ACCEPTING STORIES ON-LINE!!!!!"

This will apply for the fourth quarter, Sept. 30th deadline once it's up and running.

Woohoo!

Good luck everyone!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Eh, TamesonYip, everyone has to start somewhere.

Please don't stop asking questions because you think you will look like a newb. There will always be someone else who is even more of one than you who will be grateful you had the courage to ask.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Believe it or not, I just got my confirmation email for my Q3 entry.

Joni said we will have results in two months.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I got mine too, but I want to make sure before I reply. Does the email say it came from "Contests" and the subject line says "Your story - (Title of story)"? I've never entered before and want confirmation that it's okay for me to respond... that it's not spam or a computer virus. And, yes, it says it's from Joni.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

That's it. Your story has been put in the massive pile of slush awaiting reading.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just got mine yesterday as well. It even said my "hard copy" had arrived. Just another reminder of online submissions. Woo-hoo! Will easily give me another 6 hours of drafting before having to see it off.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
KDW reports that she sent back the first batch of Q3 boxes on Wednesday. We might see some HMs soon.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

KDW reports that she sent back the first batch of Q3 boxes on Wednesday. We might see some HMs soon.

I hope I'm not butting in but I'm not a member of this group but I do have a story entered in Q3- at least I think it three. I sometimes forget which number by the time the judging starts and on the blog it seems like there's always three contests in the pipeline. They release HMs and I think the judging went by very quickly but then I realize that the HMs are from the previous quarter.

Anyway, I came by to see if anyone knew how far they are into the judging of 3. I know now. I hope I'm not butting in.

By the way all these Q-s makes me think of both Star Trek and British Intelligence for some reason or another.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
No butts!

I posted in the Q2 thread so often Dan made me an honorary member and mentioned my honorable mention. (yes I used those words twice in one sentence.) Even tho I didn't do the story swap. (Joined the forum after they had been swapped.)

Echo echo...

Anyway, you're fine.

Q3 is April 1, 2010 - June 30, 2010

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

No butts!
I posted in the Q2 thread so often Dan made me an honorary member and mentioned my honorable mention. (yes I used those words twice in one sentence.) Even tho I didn't do the story swap. (Joined the forum after they had been swapped.)

Echo echo...

Anyway, you're fine.

Q3 is April 1, 2010 - June 30, 2010

Good,

I hope this becomes a repeat of your experience.

I could use some good news with my writing and my last HM was probably over 10 possibly 15 stories ago.

As to which quarter maybe I can find the E-mail they sent to say they got it. One of the reasons I have problems remembering which quarter is that I don't think of it as Q1 or Q2 etc.. I think of it as just another WotF contest.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

quote:
I think of it as just another WotF contest.

Just be sure not to send one at the beginning of the quarter - and one at the end. :P

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So any further news?

I checked the Newsgroup and blog nothing there but sometimes people have ways of knowing things us ordinary mortals don't.

And Joni seems to be later than usual, wonder if she is on vacation, super busy or ???

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I found my E-mailing stating I am in the 3rd quarter.

Thought I was but I usually forget about it for a while as I wait and because I don't think of it by number quarters I wasn't sure.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm out, didn't get very far. At least this time they included the bookmark.

Hopefully you all have a better run this time.

So my better writing, isn't.

axeminister
Member # 8991

No worries LD.
Stick around here and better writing making you we will is.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

No worries LD.
Stick around here and better writing making you we will is.
Axe

Yes sir, Yoda

But we shall see.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

I got my rejection. I do like that Joni wrote in people's names instead of just having contestant- made it feel less impersonal.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that the four rejections reported yesterday to Duotrope were out for 124 to 133 days, which means they were submitted toward the end of the quarter. I guess KDW is not reading in order of submission date this time around.

Sorry to those who have received their rejections. My e-mail box so far remains empty (125 days and counting).

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

132 days - no word
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine seemed to be a little earlier than usual, sometimes I don't get it until they are ready to announce some of the HMs. Or until Joni has the time to post the HMs.

I didn't notice the crossed out name.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Posted Thursday, Nov. 4th by KD Wentworth:

quote:
I have three more stories to read today, then I will be finished with the first reading.

I hope that's a good thing for us all.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are one of those stories are mine and K D is thumbing the cover of it and thinking...

I so want to be done...what the hell. Reject, reject, reject. Time for a hot chocolate. I wonder what's on TV?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a member of this group, but . . .

If K. D. is in the Los Angeles area, I guarantee the last thing on her mind this afternoon is HOT anything. At 4:30 in the afternoon, it's 95 degrees--in NOVEMBER--AND I'm probably closer to the beach (cooler). I knew we were going to have to pay for that mild summer sometime.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I believe KDW, or Also Know As, She Who Must Be Impressed (not to be confused with our own lovely Ms Obeyed), lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma. And we know there are only two things in Oklahoma. Steers and award winning/nominated authors.

K D doesn't have horns, does she?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I like that "she who must be impressed."

But speaking of writers there may I ask nominated for what?

It could be anything these days.

snapper
Member # 7299

Ms Wentworth is a previous winner of the Writers of the Future contest. She is also a three time (or is four?) Hugo award nominated author.

Yep. Despite all the disappointed she dishes out, you will find no horns on her head.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Snapper, must be nice but at the same time after three or four times, it would be getting frustrating, I would think.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 06, 2010).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Posted tonight by KDW on the sff.net board:

Too late, Snapper! I just finished the sorting. Boy, was it hard this quarter! I wound up with ten first class stories in the Finalist pile and can only pick eight.

(Snapper had jokingly offered to bribe She Who Must Be Impressed ...)

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited November 07, 2010).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Damn! I would have happily paid the 6 bucks!
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly she was looking for a fatter Lincoln. Perhaps if you had mentioned its acceleration from 0 to 60...

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited November 08, 2010).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please post the blog site for KDW (she who must be impressed)? I've been to a few places and can't figure out where her blog is that she is making WOTF comments.

Thank you.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Here you go philo:

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=xover&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture&from=-10

It's not a blog, but it is the posting with all the news.

I'm wondering where to find Joni's updates as to where she is in contacting people, posting HM's and such.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.