Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Looking for Flash Fiction Critique Group

Author Topic: Looking for Flash Fiction Critique Group
CharityBradford
Member # 8988

- posted      Profile for CharityBradford   Email CharityBradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been challenged to submit some flash fiction for publication by July 31. http://laurelgarver.blogspot.com/2010/03/spotlight-on-microfiction.html

Does anyone else want to take this challenge with me, and if you do can we swap for critiques?

[This message has been edited by CharityBradford (edited March 16, 2010).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
The prizes would be good if you have a completed novel, unless I am understand it wrong. Will she give you a critique of 15 pages long? Or is she going to critique 15 pages of your writing? If I win, can I transfer my winnings to a friends script to read?
I am also confused by the contest itself. Is the 700 word story supposed to be all dialog or a scene where dialog is central to the scene?

Could I write...

quote:
"Fe Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of an Adam Colston," said the turtle-like monster.

or do the 'said tags' disqualify it?

If not would...

quote:
The nicotined starved brit jabbed with his sword into the monsters hard-underside belly. "Begone! You coat-tailing leach!"

be okay to build the milieu of the scene?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Also,
I would be leary of sending her an excerpt of a novel for the competition considering they plan on publishing it.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 16, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CharityBradford
Member # 8988

- posted      Profile for CharityBradford   Email CharityBradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for bringing up those points. I should have posted something similar, but was in a hurry.

For the record, I'm not entering her competition, just taking her challenge to submit some form of micro fiction to a site or periodical of my choosing. I'm going to try some off of Duotrope.

That is why I want to find a critique group. I plan to submit in the hopes of building some credentials for my query, so I want it to be the best I can make it.

I have a completed novel that I've been revising for over a year and I'm ready to take my chances. I think it will be easier to take a leap with my ms after dipping my feet in a bit first.

[This message has been edited by CharityBradford (edited March 16, 2010).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.