Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 4/30 - 5/6

Author Topic: NSG 4/30 - 5/6
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

Wow. Another week went by. 12 hour days have knocked writing the as far from my mind as can be. I was much busier on this programming project this week.

My goals for next week:

• Outline Focused Conflicts

Even though this project launches early next week I'm sure it will take me a way from writing. However, my goal would be to review the status of my outline so I can re-familiarize myself with it.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing at all.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
A very good week (at last).

Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Finish up the new section at the beginning and start work on the revisions.
Yes! I'm sure in some places it's what my grandmother would have called "a lick and a promise", but the first draft of the new beginning is done!

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Let it rest before trying to cut some more.
Easy goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Make new revisions as the critiques come back.
Yes.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Nothing this week.
Another easy goal.

SEVEN STARS: Let it rest. Keep making notes as things occur to me.
Easy.

OTHER:
Update my blog and try to keep it updated at least once a week.
Submit my new short story "Becoming Lioness" (formerly "The Wrong Lion").
Yes to all. In fact, "Becoming Lioness" has already been rejected and resubmitted eslewhere. It was the nicest rejection I've ever gotten.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Work on the revisions. I really want to get this one ready for a reader. The extensive revisions won't start for about ten more chapters, and I usually am pretty quick about the revisions anyway.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Let it rest before trying to cut some more.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
I've got a chapter exchange going on this one. Make new revisions as the critiques come back. Get ready to make extensive revisions on the beginning.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Nothing this week. I've still got eight queries out that I haven't heard back on. I'm reluctant to put too many out at one time.

SEVEN STARS:
Let it rest. Keep making notes as things occur to me.

OTHER:
Update my blog and try to keep it updated at least once a week.
Maybe start a new short story.

=======
DREAMER'S ROSE is ready for a chapter exchange if anyone is interested. Fantasy, 91,000 words, about a man who succeeds at everything until he finally succeeds in becoming a god--and finds nothing has prepared him for that or for his failures.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's the last day of my 200 words a day - phew! I am not good with this scheduled production thing. Sit down at write 2K once a week? Sure. Sit down and squeak out 200 a day and I feel like I'm pulling teeth.

That said, my word count has soared and I am now well over 30K, so there's that at least. Plus I made my map.

Goals for this week:
1) Go back and start making a POA of revisions and outlining, to try to get a handle on the behemoth this WIP has become.
2) Get some WotF revisions in.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Violent Harvest
Member # 9038

- posted      Profile for Violent Harvest   Email Violent Harvest         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually write 2000 words a day, and 1k at the bare minimum. Two hundred word snippets would cause my writing to look like a long, derailed thought train. How do you do it?
Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Tipping my toe back in the novel waters:

I worked a bit on the outline of a political thriller novel. I've been introduced to Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series and wanted to try and see if I can outline a novel in that genre.

I also put some time into rewriting my Panix novel. UPDATE: Actually I finished the current rewrite, which was inserting a new character and fixing the language as I went. Now I have to examine the major critiques I had from a reader and see what else I have to do. At that point it's on to query letters.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited May 03, 2010).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
VH - This was a month-long challenge, and not something I think I want to do again. I'm more of a write-in-large-spurts person, too. Like 2K or 5K or 10K in a day. But what the 200 words a day made me do is sit down and pull out at least 2-3 paragraphs of plot development every day instead of procrastinating it for weeks and weeks, then binge-writing before putting it away again for another few weeks.... Steady progress must be made - no writer's block allowed! (But skipping ahead to a part where you know what happens is okay :-) )
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith, I just tried sending you your chapter back, and it came back twice as undeliverable.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Meredith, I just tried sending you your chapter back, and it came back twice as undeliverable.

I just sent you an e-mail. Try to reply to that one. The only thing I can think of is that we may have gotten too many replies strung together and it choked on that. I've gotten other large files recently for crits, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Let me know if it still doesn't work.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't do so good last week. This week, my goal is to finish WOTF editing round 2 (well, it has gone through more passes than that, but this will be version 2 that is sent out to group). I would like to start my next round of edits, but I am not sure how much I can reasonably accomplish in a week. This is hopefully my final pass before finding people to crit, so it might be a bit slower.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about starting another novel--I don't know what, but a friend and I are trying to bust out of our ruts. So it looks like I might be back in this group. I've missed it.

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited May 03, 2010).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

By all means, bust out of your ruts.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my WotF story is out for crits and I've decided that after this quarter I'm going to stop trying for WotF for awhile and focus on my novel. So I would like to join this group.

I'm not always good at setting specific goals but I'll give it a try.

This week:

Firesky - World build
Figure out side plotlines
Work on overall story arc for seven book series

I'll post a little about the project in the other thread.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

I'm looking for a couple of people to peruse my Panix query letter. I'm about ready with my final draft and am eager to see if I can get any agent interest. A bit of a taste... the first paragraph:

Panix versus the Murgontians is a 94,000 word fantasy adventure-thriller set in a land where a moribund magic-based economy is challenged by Murgontia's steam-based technology. Panix is at the center of this change as he struggles with his own issues while he creates new ways to deal with an aggressive Murgontian threat to the stability of his world.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited May 06, 2010).]

Meredith
Member # 8368

Owasm,

I'll read the query letter. But why don't you just post the whole query in F&F for Books. You'll get a lot more responses there. And probably quicker turn around.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Can I do that and not violate the 13 line dictum?
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Can I do that and not violate the 13 line dictum?

Doesn't apply to queries and synopses. I've put my whole query up several times.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited May 06, 2010).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What Meredith said, Owasm.

The 13-line rule is for text that may actually be published. Queries and synopses are not published, so they can be posted in their entirety.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.