Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q04 -- Early Submissions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q04 -- Early Submissions
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I have all the changes planned. But I need to actually force myself to do it. Right now, I get the room clear, have a few hours to work and promptly take a nap. So, yeah, need to work on that motivation.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been bogged down with a different story that had a submission deadline of Sept. 15. Now that one is done and gone, and I can finish my WOTF entry.

Oh, and two days ago, I finally got the confirmation that my Q3 story had arrived. Seems like they're a little busy.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got my desk, built it and my computer is back up and running. Of course, I'm still on my first draft. I hope to get it out for crits with this group but it may not get sent in to WotF this quarter, we'll see. But after this entry, I'm going to start focusing on my novel so I don't think I'll be doing WotF for awhile. If I get the first draft critted but not reworked and sent in until next quarter, that won't be so bad.

I wish everyone great luck!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I promised a friend I'd wait for her critique before submitting my entry.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on vacation and busy getting things done around home besides enjoying some day trips close to home. I've recently returned from 3 days of camping and trail riding on my horse at an organized ride. There were over 140 riders in attendance. I hope to get back on my story starting tomorrow, but I honestly don't think I'm going to make it this quarter. Maybe the next one.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent off my story via electronic submission this afternoon and had the confirmation that my entry had arrived about five minutes later. So much less of a hassle than snail mail.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say how much I love electronic submissions.
My story is in.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have about half of my new draft finished. Unfortunately, 2/3rds of that was from the previous draft, and the second half I now have to rewrite completely. Still, I'm going to try and push this through as I can barely stomach the thought of skipping another quarter. Though, I have to say, this version of the story is coming out much better, and I think will have an ending that will feel much more justified to readers. Thanks, everyone, for the help and direction on my first draft. See you all on the other side.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Submitted before the deadline. I can't believe how far my story came this quarter. Even if it doesn't win, I have a story i am really proud of and I started with a story idea I loved but seemed impossible. I really appreciate all the crits I got, esp when I started with such a rough version.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Failure.

Well, I guess I have some more time to get this story done right. Honestly, I think it needed it.

On the even lower side of things, I finally came up with idea #2 for a short story that I've had idea #1 for for a LONG time. And now I can't even write the freaking thing until this one is done. Ugh.

I guess, at least, the idea is there.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

It's there, and it's growing into a story. Good luck with that.

I did send my entry. This is my first time submitting to the WOTF contest. How many other first-timers were in this group?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
This is only my 2nd entry.
I sent it electronically on the 30th... whew.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Second time as well.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
This would've been my second entry if I'd finished on time. My first time is in the 3rd quarter.

For some reason I didn't think my story for the 4th quarter felt "right". So, I went back and read my 3rd quarter entry and was amazed at the difference in the two stories. The 3rd quarter story really "sings" where the story I'm working on now does not, and it's every bit as good as the 3rd quarter story. I just pulled the first one off much better and now must do that with my present one. Hopefully, I can get it ready for the 1st quarter. Time will tell .

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited October 02, 2010).]

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Bet we'll see results after the holidays in early January since KD is reading like mad. She's already read her favorite of the bunch too, so hopefully that's one of ours. I'm optimistic!

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I hope that golden story is one of our's, too! As much as I hope none of us did this (posted by KDW this evening):

A fair number of folks failed to upload their files and their entry is blank, like sending the envelope with no story. I'm hoping that percentage decreases a lot next quarter.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Some nice holiday news from KDW:

Merry Christmas, guys! I've almost finished the first reading and hope to have results by Monday. There are so many first rate stories this quarter, it's going to be very difficult to select the top eight.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, didn't realize there were still that many people here still in the running for Q4
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

At this point, all of us are in the running. No Q4 results have been posted yet. And as far as I know, no rejections have gone out, either. So everyone can now commence with the nail-biting.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, must have been thinking of Q3 ,

4 must be the one I skipped. Sorry about that.

No wonder the comment about first reading confused me.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited December 26, 2010).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
KD posted a couple of days ago that results should be coming out this week.

<crossing fingers>

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Q4 Results
Kathy Wentworth
Article 5697, Mon 27 Dec 2010 08:43:52a

quote:
I sent the Q4 Results to Joni this morning. I know I say this every quarter, but there were so many great stories this time! It gets harder and harder to pick out the Finalists.

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=blogview&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture&from=5682

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'm seriously amazed at how fast she plowed through this quarter. Hopefully it helps to get the contest caught up a bit.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
lol...hopefully it means there are significantly less stories submitted
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Nope, KDW said on the sff.net Newsgroup that the numbers were up. Maybe our riveting stories made the entire pile seem like fast reading.
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Well now that she has her Kindle, KDW can read anywhere she wants! Perhaps that's how she's doing it.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually read somewhere she doesn't use her Kindle to read entries to the contest.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

That's right. She posted this to her message board earlier this month (I had to go back and find it):

In some ways, e-subs are easier, in others, not. I've just been reading them on my desktop and laptop because I can't see a way to move them into folders on my Kindle.

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
She then was given some advice on how to do that (although perhaps not the most convenient application for her purpose, where I suspect she want to move them into a new file upon reading). Perhaps there are some apps out there that can do what she wants, so you could perhaps say "watch that space".
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
I can't see a way to move them into folders on my Kindle

What you have to do is email the document in PDF or kindle format to the Kindle's email address. There is an option somewhere in the settings of your kindle that will tell you what its email address is.

I've done this twice. You don't get all the functionality if you email it as a PDF though. I haven't tried converting my stuff to kindle format.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
you dont even have to email them there is this nifty little progie called calibre that will convert most ebook/document formats to most other formats and you can even do it in mass from multiple formats into one format

i had some ebooks in lit format and got a kindle for christmas instead of buying them all over again i just formated them into mobi for the kindle and xfer them over.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds excellent! I want one now.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

My mom asked me whether I wanted a Kindle or a new coat for Christmas. I told her that as I couldn't read unpublished works on the Kindle, something I would actually use on the bus would be more appreciated. My new coat is gorgeous. I'm hoping my mom doesn't find out about the Kindle's full functionality.

On topic: When should we expect to learn of the 4th Quarter results?

Osiris
Member # 9196

I heard results should start rolling in this week.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

It's awfully quiet out there as far as results go. Anyone heard whispers yet of whether the finalists have heard from Joni?
Osiris
Member # 9196

nary a peep. I've heard Joni requests finalists not tell anyone until it is posted on the WoTF blog. They don't want anyone stealing the blog's thunder, apparently
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The finalists generally tell friends privately, and it gets passed through the grapevine until it ends up on a board with someone posting: "I heard the calls have gone out ..." But if Joni has already made eight certain people very happy, those people are keeping their mouths shut.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Well, Brad posted this at the WotF forum late last night under the Q4 topic:

"Just an FYI, I know at least one winner got the call today."

Add to that, the Q3 winners were posted this morning on KDW's message board. So ... confusion on whether Joni was calling Q3 winners or Q4 finalists.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't actually get an entry in this quarter so no pins and needles for me. Good luck to everyone here!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Q4 finalists were sent to Joni from KDW on Dec 27th. So my guess is that Brad is talking about Q04.

I didn't have a story in this quarter either. These times just make me feel sad. My goal this year is to have a new short story in every quarter. Last year I only missed one. So, here we go.

Reminders for everyone in the group: let us know what honors you earned for Q04 as the results start to roll in. And if you missed letting us know for those from Q03, let me know and I'll add you to the list.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited January 03, 2011).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Form rejections are starting to pop up on Duotrope. I'm guessing those are for Q4, which means the finalists have most likely heard by now. Joni wouldn't be sending out the rejections first. I hope one of us made the list and just can't say anything yet.
Osiris
Member # 9196

I don't recall ever receiving a confirmation of receipt of my story, actually, so now I'm concerned I did something boneheaded like forgot to attach the file.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Did you submit online? I got my confirmation about 30 seconds after I hit the send button. But that does nothing to alleviate my jitters on whether my story got through the electronic transfer with its formatting intact.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Yup, I submitted online. Maybe I got the confirmation but didn't notice it or forgot about it because it was so instantaneous.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Even though I didn't submit to Q4 I did send in my last entry electronically. I too received an immediate response but what I wondered if that was just to say they received my file. Will they send an E-mail saying I am entered in Q1 like they send a post card saying I am entered in a certain quarter when I send in a paper submission?
I don't know. I was hoping they would.

Osiris
Member # 9196

Okay, they will start posting HMs tomorrow, according to the WoTF blog.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Interesting. The blog note doesn't say that the first list of HMs will be posted tomorrow. It says THE list. As in, everyone? At least we don't have to sit on pins and needles for long.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
****sitting on pins and needles******

Somehow I'm feeling a sharp pain in my....

See you people tomorrow,
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

quote:
Will they send an E-mail saying I am entered in Q1 like they send a post card saying I am entered in a certain quarter when I send in a paper submission?

I don't think they're sending post cards anymore, because I received an email to acknowledge the receipt of my hardcopy Q4 submission. That means everyone should expect an email, right? I doubt they would respond to paper but not to e-subs.

Tomorrow, huh? There goes my desired good night of sleep.

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

Emails going out for results. Got an HM. Disappointed since I thought this story was much better than my silver HM. Others that read it thought so as well. Tough competition all around.

Hoping you all got good results!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.