Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 6/18 - 6/24

Author Topic: NSG 6/18 - 6/24
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

Last week went better than the week before. I still did not do nearly as much as have done in a week's time in the past. I'm just glad to have made progress at this point.

My goals for next week:

• Finish detailing of first scenes of book
  • Write first scene

I am nearly done detailing the first scene or two of my book. This is a scene I briefly wrote before but this break has helped me in a way. I have gained a clearer view of what I want to do with the scene. Hopefully I will be able to do a new draft of that scene. It may not be the very first scene of the book though. I have a couple others I may want to precede it.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing much this week. However, persistence is still important. Never give up even if it is to merely say, "I didn't write this week, but I want to next week."

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I want to post this week. On the plus side, my living room is 95% clean, kitchen good, dining room good, bedroom good and the bulk of stuff is moved out of the nursery. It was the game room and we had shelves along all the walls full of books and games so all that is moved, leaving mostly empty shelves and other random stuff. I hadn't realized just how much I was getting done in that 10 hours Bin was at school. It also kind of wore her out, so when she came home, she was much less demanding. And something like cleaning the room might take 15 minutes while she was at school and now takes an hour with her around.

So, basically, all my goals for this week are the exact same as last week.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.
Yes. All caught up.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Let it rest before trying to cut some more.
Easy goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Keep working on the major revision.
Finished! ::Happy Dance:: And I managed to cut it down to under 100,000 words at the same time.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Finish the new version of the query and send out two more queries.
Yes to both. (Already got one rejection back. )

SEVEN STARS: Let it rest. Keep making notes as things occur to me.
This one is going to drop of my list for the time being. I'm getting some ideas, but I'm not ready to restart it.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Send "Becoming Lioness" out again.
Work on the new short story.
Yes to all three.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Let it rest before trying to cut some more.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
It's time for readers again. I'll be using this for the new long-term critters group or FPNA (Future Published Novelists Anonymous)

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Send out at least two more queries.

MAGE STORM:
This is a new YA Fantasy, barely started. I think it's going to be fun to work on.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Work on the new short story.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

LAST WEEK
Mainstream novel: Reviewed the chapter exchange feedback. Tightened one of the primary story arcs. Worked on a few passages. Added at least a thousand new words. Life is good.

Science fiction novel: To my horror, I have not touched this story in over a week. Doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking about it...

UPCOMING WEEK
Mainstream novel: Business as usual.

Science fiction novel: Write. Don't think. Well...some thinking should be involved...

NOTE: I have been dedicating some of my writing time to finally finish a few of my short stories and get them on their way to a happy home in the pages of a magazine. BTW...that project has been going well.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Spent some time figuring out a way to repurpose my novels into a YA mold. A couple work out. Now I have to try one out with a rewrite that I will start this weekend.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Written / Projected - on a week by week basis
171 / 250
177 / 250
180 / 250
185 / 250
188 / 250
190 / 250
2 week WotF break
196 / 250
199 / 250
Nothing!
204 / 250
217 / 250
228 / 250

It's starting to look like I'm actually going to finish this thing. I doubt I'll edit right away tho because I want to conceive and create a new WotF entry from the ground up. So, I plan to focus on that for a while.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugg- this week is already looking sucky. Husband at ER- was sick, made him go to dr, dr sent him to ER, now waiting on results. Stomach problems- could be nothing but stress, could be something serious. I think just stress, but still, not fun. So, probably no writing at all today- hopefully everything good and we'll be back to normal soon.

ETA- well, nothing serious yeah, but he is on bedrest all weekend, which kind of ruins my have him take bin to the zoo so I can write for a bit.

[This message has been edited by TamesonYip (edited June 18, 2010).]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.