Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 6/25 - 7/1

Author Topic: NSG 6/25 - 7/1
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I didn't do any writing last week at all. The good thing, I suppose, is that it was not because my schedule was too busy. Frankly, I just plain forgot.

My goals for next week:

• Finish detailing of first scenes of book
  • Write first scene

I want to keep the same goals in the hope that I will do something this week.

What did I learn this week?

Not much this week. I'm just going to keep trying.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.
Yes. The last critique is going to require some thought.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Let it rest before trying to cut some more.
Easy goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Use this for the new long-term critters group or FPNA (Future Published Novelists Anonymous).
Yes. First chapters sent.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Send out at least two more queries.
Not yet. I've got one printed and almost ready to send, though. Two will be sent this morning.
UPDATE: Two queries sent. One email, one snail mail.

MAGE STORM: Barely started.
Starting chapter 3, now.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Work on the new short story.

Yes to both. I've gotten one critique back on the short.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Let it rest before trying to cut some more.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
Start a chapter exchange for this in FPNA (Future Published Novelists Anonymous).

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Send out at least two more queries.

MAGE STORM:
It's starting to flow fairly well. It's fun to have something new that's working. I need to keep the pace up. Write two more chapters (3 and 4).

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Work on the new short story.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited June 25, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
LAST WEEK
Mainstream novel: Completed another scene. Tightened up several others. Received crits on the first two scenes.

Science fiction novel: I've not touched this story in about two weeks, but I am entering its synopsis for Meredith's new contest.

UPCOMING WEEK
Mainstream novel: Business as usual.

Science fiction novel: Work on the synopsis. This, I suspect, will reenergize this story in my mind.

NOTE: I'm still dedicating some of my writing time to finally finishing a few of my short stories and get them on their way to a happy home in the pages of a magazine. The overall progress tapered off this past week, but I'm happy with the quality.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Did better this week than I thought.

FTG-
Chapter exchange

Babylon- worked on some character backgrounds/ family trees

Other-
Printed out my Q3 WOTF story, but haven't mailed it because I found a problem in the page numbering.

Next week

FTG- continue exchange
Babylon- continue world building
Other- mail WOTF story dang it!

I also got a free proof copy from create space (the reward for nano). It is kind of neat to have it printed out, but since I am still editing, not as cool. Also, feels a bit like buying your own trophy. But it was free and looks kind of neat- help motivate me to getting published for real.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Over 4k on TMC. Amazing with my life right now. I'll take it.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to look at how long it's been since I shared with this group. It doesn't really matter, right? Moving ahead.

Last Week's Goals
None for the novel.

What I Worked On
Bits of scenes that show me who the characters are but probably won't survive in the novel. I also talked with a soldier who trains in my novel's setting.

This Week's Goals
Record ideas for tying major scenes together.

Lesson Learned
Calm moments are as important as dynamic moments, especially when the story involves a large cast of characters whose relationships determine the plot. Readers need to experience the times when characters consider their situations and learn from each other.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I am a bit new so here it goes...

I am working on the first part of a modern/future science fiction fantasy. The working title is Truth and Dissent ~ Rise of Dissidence. It takes place in 2102 after the US and parts of canada form two very different contries.

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
My main goal last week was to finish the first chapter. I did, more or less. I also finished rewriting my outline to include the major sub plots.

Set goals for next week. Next week I need to finnish the characters in the town of Tyrill and finish building it.

Did you learn something during this week? Yes I need to learn more about West Virginia, where my town will be. What the local culture is and anything else relevant.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.