Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 7/16 - 7/22

Author Topic: NSG 7/16 - 7/22
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I did not write any scenes last week. I didn't even think about it this time. That's fine because I have been working on my outline. Currently I have one major plot and three subplots that I'm outlining. I have the main one filled out fairly well as well as one of the subplots.

The next two subplots will be a little more difficult since they are newer. In addition, I think I may want to add a new character to help with a new ending that I want. I will need to add another subplot for that character, which ties up the new ending. I like this new setup better than what I had before.

My goals for next week:

• Write scenes
  • Outlining

This week I want to try to get one of the other subplots completed. Since they are newer I do not have as many ideas for them. I may need to spread each subplot across multiple weeks.

What did I learn this week?

Not much to say here this week.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.
Yes.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Let it rest before trying to cut some more.
Easy goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Continue chapter exchange for this in FPNA (Future Published Novelists Anonymous).
Yes.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Read through the whole thing and look for places to get deeper/smooth things out. Work on the synopsis for the synopsis challenge.
Yes to both.

MAGE STORM: Get back in the flow. Finish chapter 4.
Nope. I've really got to get my momentum back on this one.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Work on the new short story.

Yes and no.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Let it rest before trying to cut some more.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
Continue chapter exchange for this in FPNA (Future Published Novelists Anonymous).

BLOOD WILL TELL:
I'll wait on this one to see what comes out of the Synopsis Challenge. Then, start querying again.

MAGE STORM:
Get back in the flow. Finish chapter 4. Since I'm in synopsis mode, last night I wrote a basic synopsis for this. Maybe that'll help get me started again.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Work on the new short story. (Can I even keep calling it "new"?")

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited July 16, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom came to town this week, so took a bit of a break to get stuff done. Only thing I did was a quick proofread over my synopsis (cut another hundred words though). So, this week my goals are mostly catchup.

FTG- continue chapter exchange, edit some of the earlier chapters as well
Babylon- continue world building- I am thinking about trying to write a synopsis for this one before I write, see if that helps a little, with the knowledge that anything can change, but I am not quite ready for that.
Other- finish WOTF story, send out rejected story somewhere

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals and Activities
I didn't set formal goals, but I wanted to determine whether or not the current opening is an acceptable place to start. If I opened to an earlier scene, then the predominant theme would change. After several chats with my husband and a friend, I decided to keep the current opening and continue with drafting.

This Week's Goals
Just write.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

I did it. I finished Chapter 4 of Mage Storm. Woo hoo, back in the saddle again.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I did better this week, but didn't quite make my goal.

Next week: Write for at least an hour every day.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.