Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My stories coming LD,
Had to deal with a couple of things this week, but I'm on track now, I did mer's crit - I'm finishing owasm's crit - then I'll do yours.

W.

That's fine,
that goes for your crit also. I expect it will say the same thing--basically.

but did you say Stories????

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 1 LD. Sorry typo, and I just sent it to everyone.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I now have three stories. I sent one crit.

Two were on another E-mail address, it's my writing E-mail which I don't use a lot. I had forgotten I wrote it in as the E-mail address for this site.

I need to double check but I may have one more crit to receive.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I've received all my crits and sent all out as well. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've already started the second draft
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm caught up. If you haven't received a crit from me for your work, let me know.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Osiris said.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow this is extremely helpful. I have two crits back and I feel I can really make a leap in a solid direction for draft two. I got a lot of great advice and learned a lot about how to properly crit also. Looking forward to the rest.

Though I think I need a quick lesson on the comment bubbles. I noticed on the two crits I got back that you were able to say in the comments 'Deleted', and other notes. How is that done? or is that a new feature? I'm using 2003 word.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though I think I need a quick lesson on the comment bubbles. I noticed on the two crits I got back that you were able to say in the comments 'Deleted', and other notes. How is that done? or is that a new feature? I'm using 2003 word.

It's track changes. I'm using Word 2002, so it should be available for you, too. Easiest way: Select the Reviewing toolbar. That'll give you a button to Track Changes. When it's on, it automatically creates those clear bubbles with what's been deleted, etc., and puts a vertical line in the left margin where a change has been made. There are also buttons to let you jump from one change to the next.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I finally got it out to you guys. That'll give you some Sunday afternoon reading to do.

walexander, I've yet to complete your crit. Otherwise, I'm up to date, just waiting on WriterDan.

LDWriter, I hope I got the email address that you want it in. If not, give me a yell here.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

Thanks mer,

That helps a lot,

and is a wonderful device for critiquing that I never knew about till now. Ah, so much still to learn.

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited October 24, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have received four stories and sent out three crits.

Need to double check to make sure but I believe I just got the last crit for my story.

If I understand it right this one is in partial agreement with the other four. So among some differences, four and a half are in agreement. Hmmm.

walexander
Member # 9151

I just finished reading KD wentworths advice thread by dark warrior. Differently worth the read as I'm starting to workout draft two. Gave me a lot to focus on with the advice the crits have given me..

So question. On nov 7th do we send our second drafts to the other group or same group?

WD- still waiting on your masterpiece.

Bren- your crits coming you have a long story more than double everyone else so it will take a little time to do it right.

Mer- I have a more extensive crit coming your way. You should see it in your e-mail tomorrow early.

W.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Yes, WAlexander, you send your second draft to the other group.

Edited: I had the wrong name.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited October 25, 2010).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

If WD is writerdan I haven't gotten anything from him either. I got a crit from him but can't find a story.
walexander
Member # 9151

Yep Wd is writerdan,

WA is me if I write myself

So far each story has been pretty good. It's a shame we have to measure them by such an extremely high standard to make them competitive for wotf. I had to admit my first thought was to go easy and then I realized I wouldn't want that. I'd want the plain truth so I could push the story to the best it could possibly be. This is for competition after all, and the reasons we're working our butts off is to obviously to win. So it does no favor to have a so-so story, and I've appreciated so far everyone giving me the facts as they fell.

W.

Brendan
Member # 6044

quote:
Bren- your crits coming you have a long story more than double everyone else so it will take a little time to do it right.

No probs WA (just following your advice on your name ). I still have a thousand words up my sleave, so pity the next group that has to deal with the second draft.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, alas, I'm still not done.

Haven't had any short story BICHOK time since my last post. Only lots of the research variety, I'm afraid. Going to try again to finish this week. What's my option? Quit? Whatever. I've received five stories and finished crits on three. The other two will be out asap. Sorry, peoples. This quarter is really dragging on me. Too much school, I guess. Horrible thing is, I don't see the pressure getting any lighter this side of graduation. Just...keep...swimming...

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

No worries, WD,

Send it when you can,

It's not like I'm going anywhere yet,

But once I hit that podium and get my gold award it maybe to late.

W.

walexander
Member # 9151

Over on the discussion page I did a double check on the rules for quotation sentences. For anyone I critiqued please verify your quotes with these rules, because I may have marked one or two of your quotes wrong, so please be aware of this mistake on my part.

I had one of the rules backwards, and don't want you dinged for it, the period- capital and comma-small letter rules for the second sentence in a quote.

W.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Same with me WD. No worries, about your story.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 26, 2010).]

Brendan
Member # 6044

Just a question. We have one week before round two is to go out. My story was late out, having been sent only a week ago. I have received only one crit, but this has given me plenty of ideas to develop and places to improve. Should I revise on that basis, so I am able to send the revision to the group on time this time, or wait for more crits?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Brendan, you can do it however you want. This is the first quarter I've seen with so many people on time for the schedule. If you send it out after the date, people will still crit for you. Whatever works for you is fine, we'll adjust.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Brendan,

My crit is on its way. The purpose of the group is to encourage early submission, but getting the story right is by far the most important thing you can do within this group.

If you're a week or two weeks late, it doesn't matter. I've been a member of this group for a number of WotF quarters and have submitted just before the deadline because my story wasn't quite right.

However, I have gotten in early as a result of the writing process being moved along.

- Owasm

walexander
Member # 9151

brenden mines coming. you should see it the end of today.

W.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Got it!

Finally, I found the scene I was missing in my line-up. So that's four scenes left to write and no more hold-ups. Praise. This feels so good.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey WD I hope your story is as good as you feel it and that you find good success with it.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

My story has been revised as much as I can and is waiting for the next round to start.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm not officially a member of the group, but I'm having a problem getting readers for my WotF story for this quarter. I've gone as far as I can with it and am in desperate need of someone to give it one last look before I submit it.

For those of you who were in the 4th quarter group; This is the same story some of you critted for me. I wish I had the time to crit your stories this time around, but I just can't spare the time. My job takes up almost all of my free time and I have very little to spare for anything right now except my own writing projects. I hope I don't sound selfish, and I do intend to get involved with a group once my work load slows down. Maybe the next quarter, I hope.

Any takers? This is the one I posted in the "First 13" section and bombed out. The one about Jeram and the tribal council meeting that dooms Jeram's mentor, Toka.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Crystal I could go over it at the beginning of next month. That would only give you a couple of weeks to revise it. If that is enough time for you you could send it around the 29th... Of Nov. that is.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks LD. I'll try to remember to send it then. LOL

Nick T has agreed to read for me too .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Crystal, send it on my way. I'll take a look.
genevive42
Member # 8714

My second draft has gone out to Group 1. Let me know if you didn't get it.
Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm still working on my second draft, I expect to have it out sometime next week. First group folks are welcome to send me their second drafts any time.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Thanks, Genevive for the offer to read my story. I've just sent it to you.
Owasm
Member # 8501

I'm also a bit behind on my rewrite. NaNo consumes all.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Got it Crystal. I'll get to it this week.
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I got genevive42's and sent mine out to Group 2.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

Got it gen -

Mine should go out tomorrow

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited November 07, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

genevive42 I just checked my E-mail, both of them, and I didn't get anything.

I'm about to send my story out to the second group. As soon as I finish checking the posts on this here forum.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine are all sent now.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Got genevive42's .

It was there all along but for some reason didn't list as a new E-mail.

Sounds like an interesting story from the opening.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished my first draft this morning. Finally! I sent it out to the second group. If anyone from the first round (which I missed completely) has a burning desire to read it, let me know.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

I thought my second draft was finished but after reading notes from editors about what denotes amateur writing, I'm doing an edit to try and get rid of some of those bugs in my story. I'm hoping to get it out by Thursday now.

W.

RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really belong on this board, but I am considering giving WOTF a first try soon and had a question for Walexander.
Would you mind posting where you found what constituted 'amateur writing'. I've been googling it without much success, but it sounds like advice that would be very valuable.

Also, what's the timeline for the next round of submissions (is it Q2 of 2011?)?

Thanks!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

I am going to shoot for the weekend to get mine out. I had a NaNo goal and now that I've met it, I can get back to toning up my WotF entry and more timely critting.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have received two crits, one agreed with most of the first group.

And this weekend I will send out the crits for the stories I have received.

Brendan
Member # 6044

You mean LD that you didn't revise it between sending it out to the second group?

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited November 12, 2010).]

Osiris
Member # 9196

I hope to have the second draft out of my story for group one this weekend. I've received two stories from group one so far, I apologize in advance for the delay, I had to do crits for my in-person writers group meeting this weekend.
walexander
Member # 9151

quote:
but I am considering giving WOTF a first try soon and had a question for Walexander.

Sorry Rox, I was away from the forum for a couple of days. Feel free to e-mail me questions if I don't respond within a day or so.

I started my search here with these two

one post from LD about Tarl Roger Kudrick

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/006508.html

the other from dark warrior about KD wentworth,

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/005988.html

Then I started first searching editor names then searching for posts under those names or topics relating to them.

I also did a goggle search under - 'notes from the editor to beginning writers' This yielded a lot of tips from editors. Many things lead to others.

Hope this helps,

W.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Public service announcement from KDW:

Read your electronic file all the way through before submitting it, especially if you've translated it from another file type. I'm seeing a whole host of formatting errors, including pieces that start out double-spaced, but then lapse into single spacing after the first page, and one curious manuscript that started subsituting "h" for quotation marks about page 6 and on to the end.

(Hope none of those stories came from our Q4 group.)

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.