Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 10/22 - 10/28

Author Topic: NSG 10/22 - 10/28
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I've certainly fallen into a slump in the last few weeks. Things have slowed down at work and I could get back to my lunch writing but I've struggled to get back into it. Sad.

My goals for next week:

• Improve scene details
  • Write detailed scenes

I will try again this next week. Hopefully this will be the week I get back into the writing flow.

What did I learn this week?

Once again, just keep moving.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Let this one rest while I contemplate what almost amounts to a rewrite.
Easy goal.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Let it rest for a while longer. When I've finished the revisions on its sequel, I'll take another look at it.
Another easy goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Time to start thinking about getting back to this.
Nope, didn't even think about it.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Think about the possibility that this is a young adult story and I didn't realize it.
I've thought about it. That's about all, though.

MAGE STORM: Get back to work on the synopsis.
Yes.

SEVEN STARS: Complete the world building.
Yes, or pretty darn close.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Pull the short story version of "Mage Storm" from Bull Spec after 4 and a half months. Make a few revisions and send it somewhere else.
Yes to the first, no to the second, although I have worked on the revisions.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Continue to let this one rest while I contemplate what almost amounts to a rewrite.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Let it rest for a while longer. When I've finished the revisions on its sequel, I'll take another look at it, probably with the idea that it might need to be YA, or at least crossover, too.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
Time to start thinking about getting back to this.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Nothing for this week. I've thought of what would need to be changed to make it YA. I'll be looking for opinions from some people more knowledgable in that field.

MAGE STORM:
Continue to work on the synopsis. *sigh* Start the revisions for the third draft.

SEVEN STARS:
Work on chapter two. Try to find the MC's voice.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Pull the short story version of "Mage Storm" from Bull Spec after five months. Complete the revisions and send it to Daily Science Fiction.
Work on revisions to another short story.

Both short stories will probably be my main focus this week.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited October 22, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off from work this pre-Halloween week. I hope to work on the following:

THE KABBALIST: THE FOUNDATION OF THE KINGDOM
(Urban Fantasy novel, 108K words), complete.
A close friend of Rabbi Cane has lost his head. Literally.
Someone has called up a demon. Cane seeks to discover who is the conjuror and the purpose for which the demon been summoned. Then Cane discovers the demon has its own agenda: to fully Manifest on Earth and open the Gates of Hell. In order to stop it, Cane will need to save the life of the criminal who may have conjured it and who is trying to kill him. Some days it doesn't pay be a tzaddik.

--awaiting critiques from test readers and proofreaders.
--manuscript formatting completed
--*complete synopsis and query letter

THE GOLEM OF CHESTER COURT
Can one shirk the responsibility for which one has been created? Does a heart of stone mean one need not care?
(Urban Fantasy historical short story, ?8000 words)
--Act 1 near completion, Act 2 and 3 plotted.
--*write more.

EREV TOV
The transforming power of love versus the inclination for evil ("yetzer hara"). The tale of Bilchek the cripple and the lamia he names Erev, a demon of the night.
(Jewish Fable, ?4000 words)
--Act 1 1st draft written.
--Act 2-3 sketched.
--*write more.

[This message has been edited by History (edited October 22, 2010).]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
PREVIOUS WEEK
"Metzgerhund Empire" (YA): With what little time I spent on this story the last seven days, I still managed to nail down a few more issues with the ever-troublesome Verse Seven. Why did I not spend much time on this novel? Because one of the residents inside my head told me it would be more fun to work on the short story series that’s based on the same characters. That resident was right. I forgot how much fun those stories were!

Mainstream novel: I only managed around 200 new words this week, but that’s better than I thought I’d do.

"Agents of the Fourth Wind" (SF): For the second straight week, I did not touch this story in any capacity. That empty row on my progress sheet is getting rather depressing looking.

UPCOMING WEEK
"Metzgerhund Empire" (YA): Complete the last few scenes of the last chapter, and rewrite the agent query letter.

Mainstream novel: Figure out where I left off, and get back to writing.

"Agents of the Fourth Wind" (SF): Continue my technical research. Or, in my case, start my technical research all over again.

BLOGGATHAH
No new postings this past week. I blame the NHL season. Oh…and I blame my kids, too.

NOTES
Short story overview: Last weekend, I purposely paused my short story efforts in order to get my YA novel out the door. So, what did I do instead? I spent most of my energy on the short stories that are based on the characters from the YA novel. I’m not entirely sure how to grade myself for that maneuver.

Three of my science fiction short stories, and one mainstream short story, currently reside on the desks and/or slush piles of various editors.

If you’re interested, check out the details of all my writing exploits on my site.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
SANDFISHING - I'm about a thousand words into Chapter 3 which puts me at about 7000 words total. I'm fairly happy with this. I have a home cleaning/improvement project that is getting close to done that demanded attention this week. I'm going to try to finish it soon.

I've learned that I've got to remember to give my writing edges. Too smooth is not a good thing. Words are not peanut butter and I like the chunky stuff anyway.

This coming week I will finish Chapter 3. Then I'm going to break and edit my WotF entry for the second draft crits coming up, and then I'll start back up on Chapter 4.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
GHOST AND THE NETHER - Complete and package out to editors for review.

GAMERS - YA Sci-fi novel. Started last week. 5k into the story and enjoying it. Goal is 55k by January.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Girl on the fence: A thousand words into it and rocking and rolling.

The Burning: I got Chapter two done this week.

The Unnormal Lot: Comic script: Finished.

The fairy dress (YA) Short Story: It's something happy and upbeat for a change. I'm working on far to many dark serious subjects. If I like the short story I might turn it into a novel.

Goals for this week: Write - chp 3 for 'burning', finish chap 1 for 'girl', complete 'fairy', and as soon as I get my other crits back for my wotf story - write second draft.

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited October 24, 2010).]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.