Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 12/10 - 12/16

Author Topic: NSG 12/10 - 12/16
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

Yeah! I actually got some writing done. It was all on my outline, but I will accept that. I found a new writing program that is finally available on Windows so I'm testing out the beta version of the software. I like it so far and anything that helps me get back into the writing flow is fine by me. I also take my laptop to work now, which makes it easier to work on the novel.

My goals for next week:

• Improve scene details
  • Write detailed scenes

Keep on working on the outline.

What did I learn this week?

Not much this week other than this new software program.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY

DREAMER'S ROSE: Start the rewrite.
Started--and restarted. But yes, I did.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Read through those critiques and make revisions as needed.
No. Just not in the mood for that kind of revision yet.

MAGE STORM: Continue polishing the synopsis and the query letter.
Still continuing, but yes.

SEVEN STARS:
No goal for this week. Just let it cook a little longer.
Easy one.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Finish revisions on my WotF story and send it.
Yes and sort of. I did the blog posts. I did the revisions, which took longer than I'd hoped. The story is sitting for a few days before I give it one last final read through. Then I'll send it.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY
I actually had an idea this week that may take at least THE SHAMAN'S CURSE back off the shelf soon.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Continue the rewrite. I have a much better idea for how to proceed, now. At least, I think so until I try to make it work. Then I'll know if it really is better.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Read through those critiques and make revisions as needed.

MAGE STORM:
Let it rest before a final read through. Continue polishing the synopsis and the query letter. This one starts going out first of the year.

SEVEN STARS:
I want to lay out the plot just a little more carefully before I start. I'm a discovery writer, but that doesn't mean I have to fly blind.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Send my WotF story.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited December 10, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished an edit (planned for the entire month) for Bellia's Journey. One more go through for character development and description.

The Reluctant Mage is out for reading. And that gives it some shelf time for me.

Since I have a bit more time, I'll start YA'ing my Panix novel this coming week.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jumping back in the NSG for the time being.

I'm back into my 3rd novel. It's a suspense/crime thriller.
As is my tradition, I'll post my progress weekly so I can see if I've been slacking.

Word count:
12/10: 40753

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith, so where did you decide to start dreamer's rose from?

I am still on minimal sleep and when awake holding baby 90% of time so mostly just thinking about what I want to do versus actually doing. Once baby starts sleeping through the night, hopefully, I'll be able to write again.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meredith, so where did you decide to start dreamer's rose from?

The new idea, if it works out, is to greatly reduce the timeline. The time between Lerian Becoming and his meeting with Rose will be reduced by hundreds of years to perhaps only a generation or two. Some threads of the story will have to be sacrificed. On the other hand, it (hopefully) lets me keep more of Lerian's story (and not have to put in as flashbacks). And I don't have to spend a whole section of the book in Kaleran's head, which I wasn't looking forward to.

I'll just have to try it and see how it works out.

ETA: Actually, as of this afternoon, it starts with a chapter you never saw. Lerian at age 10 when he first learns what his possible destiny is. I wrote this a while ago, but just couldn't make an early-Lerian story-line work. Insufficient conflict. I'm using it as a prologue.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited December 11, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't updated this in a while but I'm 42,000 words into my YA sci-fi novel. Projecting to be done by xmas. Looking foward to being done so I can write a couple of shorts that are itching to be written.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
T.H.C.
SF Thriller

Goals This Week

* Finish 2nd sequence.
* As a word goal write an additional 15000 words.
* Develop Plot depth

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherryCurtis
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for CherryCurtis   Email CherryCurtis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,
Fall of the Dragon, my fantasy romance, is in the revison stage with all I am learning about craft. I sent out Chapters 1-3 for reading. I got to page 181, Chapter 34 with my revisions. Mostly tightening up dialogue tags, looking for plot problems, menacing up the villan. Next week wow, I see why this is a good idea) I'd like to make it to page 205, and get back a critique I am working on for an awesome sci-fi author.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Worked on the new ending for "Bright Lights and Chaos". Wrote about 4,600 words.

I restarted where my MC goes through a "gate" from the human world to a certain part of Fey. There are quite a few kidnapped children, some of which she knows, there. She is more or less sucked through the gate unexceptionally fast and ends up leaving her boy friend-back up behind. He might be spelled to forget he lost her, and/or injured or just plain dead.

In the original version it took her only one or two hours to walk from where the gate to the castle where the children are but in the new version it's taking her a day. In both versions she freed a small fairy from a cave spider but in this one it took a few words longer. He will be a new friend in the next book. Soon she will be inside the castle where a battle will take place. She will think she killed the kidnapper but still has to escape his men to an even darker land that may be a worse situation. So there's another battle there.

Still need a different name for where the Fey come from than Fey or Summerland.

Also wrote on "New Mage On The Block". Not sure how many words. A couple thousand maybe. My MC there is about to get close to what is happening even though she doesn't realize it yet. And she is about to be attacked in her dreams even though I'm not sure by who. Probably not the main bad guy, maybe by one of the people she beat to free someone.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.