Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WCE - Writers Chapter Exchange (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WCE - Writers Chapter Exchange
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the details.
I'll await the next email of chapter(s) to be read.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frederick Williams
Member # 9382

- posted      Profile for Frederick Williams   Email Frederick Williams         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to pressure of work at the moment, and other matters, I'm afraid I need to withdraw from the group.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Nooooo.... It starts.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops.

I just figured out that I sent out an incomplete chapter one. Anyone want to crit the rest of it? The new section is 1850 words long. My mistake so I will understand if you are all busy.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 27, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just figured out that I sent out an incomplete chapter one.

It felt whole to me.

No offense, LDWriter2, but it seems to me like you need some serious improvement in management. I saw at least two similar 'oopses' last week. If you sent your queries or partials the same way, no agent or editor will take you seriously. Just trying to help.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited January 27, 2011).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

Hmm... W.C.E. I like it.

I'm good with that.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

As I'm the latecomer, I haven't received anything yet, LD.
Feel free to email me what you desire to have critiqued.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reposting this topic with the proper name WCE, please feel free to continue posting there.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm. Mike. Pardon a "duh" moment but did you mean the whole thread or just this one topic within the thread?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
MikeL, I can change the title of this topic, so it can all stay in the same topic.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not sure if this is still the place for this but yeah, I do at times forget things I want to include but in this case there's a reason. I did this novel with NaNoWrMo. I worked on it at work and at home. So I had to transfer the stuff done at work to my main computer. I ended up with a bunch of chapter parts... chapter one A, chapter one B, chapter three A and so on. I have twenty plus parts. At the end I put all the parts together and evidently skipped one for chapter one. I found that out when I started on redoing chapter two. Good thing I saved the parts.

Yeah, I know parts are parts.

MikeL
Member # 9138

Wow KDW, really? Please, if you would change the tpoic title to:

WCE - Writers Chapter Exchange

Also, since I did create the new topic would you please delete it?

Thanks,
Mike

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I sent my first chapter to you, History.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Done and done.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Another duh,

Someone said something about doing more than one chapter, so are we going to do the next chapters..two, three so on? Or is that another version of the one we sent in.

And I assume that is after everyone is done with their first chapter.

MikeL
Member # 9138

Well, I figured that we could send whatever part we needed help on next. I don't sugges jumping to the final chapter before allowing us to read the rest, but if you need the first or other chapters re-evaluated then by all means send it again.
MartinV
Member # 5512

When my turn is up again, I was planning to send the second chapter of my upcoming novel, then the third and so on.
History
Member # 9213

Hi.

May I suggest something I learned from Forum Member Matt Leo?

Matt instructed me on the way he critiques a manuscript, and I have found this very enlightening:

"I look at manuscripts on three scales: the micro (basic high school composition: word choices, grammar, usage, paragraph flow); the macro (plot, characterization and theme, world); and finally the meso-scale (atmosphere and mood; setting; pacing; story flow; rhythm)."

I find that these need be mastered sequentially; that is, unless the "micro" is near perfect, the reader/editor will not be able to appreciate or as effectively critique the "macro" or the "meso."

I would not presume to send anyone a chapter I have not spell-checked or re-read for grammatical errors and poorly worded sentences, etc.

I very much would welcome suggestions in improving the structure of a sentence; however, my hope would be that the majority of my manuscript would be free of "micro"-errors, and you could focus on story flow and characterization improvements.

I'm only on my second of two critiques for our WCE Group, but would it be inappropriate to suggest that the participating authors perform a first revision of their chapter for "micro" errors (spelling, etc.) before submitting it for critique? This will allow more time to focus on the substantive aspects of the story and story flow.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[This message has been edited by History (edited January 30, 2011).]

MartinV
Member # 5512

That bad, huh?

I believe my texts have few spelling errors since I am rather perfectionist. What I lack is experience with English grammar. A sentence might sound sane to me but given to an English-speaking person they would find it completely ridiculous. This considered, I am not above being told what grammar mistakes I'm making. I imagine that in this particular piece my primary mistakes are tense and clause. I am still experimenting with English, trying things out, using the old trial and error way of learning. So if you find a mistake that is constantly appearing, do mark it and tell what I'm doing wrong.

History
Member # 9213

Not at all, Martin.

I am just sharing Matt Leo's method of manuscript critique for WCE participants to consider.

My suggestion regarding doing the best each of us can on the "micro" (spelling, etc.) before we forward a chapter for critique will permit a more efficient and effective use of each reviewer's time--allow us to get to the macro/meso meat of the manuscript.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

P.S. I just finished your chapter and sent it back to you. Thank you for the opportunity to read and comment upon it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Someone said something about doing more than one chapter, so are we going to do the next chapters..two, three so on?

I thought I'd pointed you all at the novel critique suggestions topic in the Ways to Critique area, but maybe I haven't.

Anyway, I offer it now, in case you'd be interested in trying one or more of the suggested arrangements in how you approach each others' chapters.

MartinV
Member # 5512

I am editting the third chapter of my novel now. If we go any faster, we might catch up and I wouldn't have anything to send to you.

Speaking of which, didn't we say new chapters will be send on Sundays? It's Monday evening now and I see nothing in my e-mail bin.

History
Member # 9213

Isn't coralm's chapter next?
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Smiley is next.
Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

I apologize for not getting your critique back to you Coral, I had a major computer issue and had to restore my hard drive from back up. It took two days to restore 1.5 TB and I ended up losing the critique I had for you - it was done after the back up processed. I will try to get it done again and back to you soon.

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited February 01, 2011).]

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for adding me, I am the latest member I think. Or newest, so I'm ready...when should I expect a chapter to crit, and what's the order?

Thanks, can't wait!

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
My chapter went out last week, but I'd be happy to sent it out to you individually, Dr. Bob. Let me know if you want to see it. We haven't got this week's chapter yet...

[This message has been edited by coralm (edited February 03, 2011).]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Considering that this week in nearly over, I propose this week a chance to catch up our reading and continue with the next in line as originally intended. I'm sure Smiley has his reasons but it would be pointless to haggle about that.
History
Member # 9213

I signed up to participate, coralm.
Please send it along.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll send mine out on Super Bowl Sunday. (note the caps).

Go Packers!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

How many more people on the list?

And are we going to start over again or have we started over again?

I think I'm getting some of the groups mixed up with the Challenges

axeminister
Member # 8991

Mike's been doing a good job of keeping the first post organized with the drops and adds.
Check out the OP.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay after axeminister, there should be two more, Then do we start over or end it?
I won't mind continuing.

But This, and the other groups and/ or challenges will be all I will be doing on hatrack for the next one to four weeks. I need to sacrifice something to get the chapters revised I want redone and the story for Q2 of WotF done... not to mention the inhuman challenge.

axeminister
Member # 8991

I'm cool with continuing if Mike wants to keep his watchful eye over us.

10 - 15 pages a week to crit is good. Actually, it's really good because it keeps the crit muscles going at all times. Along with a deadline. (Practice for later on )

Besides, I want to see where these stories are going.

The only thing I'd like to request of the group is to please include your original chapter when you send chapter two. After a two month loop, I'd like to scan the previous before reading on.

And if you've edited the original based on feedback - even better.

Axe

MartinV
Member # 5512

I have the second chapter ready to be looked at.
axeminister
Member # 8991

enigmaticuser, can you send me your e-mail address?
I don't believe you're currently on the group roster.

My chapter(s) just went out. If anyone didn't receive, let me know.

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited February 06, 2011).]

MartinV
Member # 5512

I sent the critique to Smiley.

Are there any late comers who didn't get my first chapter and would want to read it (Arena)? Because when it's my turn I will send chapter 2 and it won't make much sense if you havent' read chapter 1.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited February 06, 2011).]

axeminister
Member # 8991

What do you think about including the previous chapter(s) and maybe put a blank page or something where the old one stopped and the new one takes over?

This way we can get reminded and check out any changes that may have been done.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I would be okay with the previous chapter being included again but I don't think we need a a whole blank page. Just make sure there's like a quarter to half a page skip and the new chapter says Chapter two.
MartinV
Member # 5512

I didn't improve my first chapter. I read all the critiques but I'm continuing editing the rest of the novel. I will return to revise chapter 1 when the rest are done.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't worked on my first chapter either since we got the crits since I have been doing chapter two. And another story plus new writing.

Maybe I can do some on that holiday coming up.

bobbyshane
Member # 9394

- posted      Profile for bobbyshane   Email bobbyshane         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in joining the group... would that be possible?

Also have you guys thought about maybe using google docs and sharing documents instead of emailing back and forth... that would probably help with needing to go back and look at old chapters, etc. Plus you can edit on there... I'm not sure if you can add notes but you might be able to.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

I'm down, but only if you send Shining in Crimson.

And since you showed up during my week, you get to start with my chapter(s). Bwa ha ha!

Can we add BobbyShane to the group?

Googledocs huh?
Gonna go check that out.

Axe

bobbyshane
Member # 9394

- posted      Profile for bobbyshane   Email bobbyshane         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I can join that's exactly what I was going to send considering it's my only novel, it's not like I have a lot of choice, hehe.

And Google docs does have the typical "Insert->Comment" and it actually put's the person's name of who's commenting with the comment and etc. It seems like it would be pretty sweet for exchanging work and etc. Only thing is you have to have a google account though. But its free and very useful. Here's a list of the features available in google docs: http://www.google.com/google-d-s/whatsnew.html

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

You are welcome to join.

I am sorry, but I won't be able to critique anything for a bit. I will still keep this forum up to date and keep an eye on the emails, but I can't participate as much for a few weeks. I have some family issues including serious illness, which must take precedence for the next few weeks.

Again, I will still keep the forum up to date with any changes in membership etc...

Thanks for your support,
Mike

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Pardon me for putting this here but for all those who read my First chapter for Bright Lights. I am thinking of changing the first name of my MC. Now it's Kerry Bedrosian. but I have thought about giving it some type of uniqueness. So I thought of Sierra like the mountains or Mauve like the color. I choose the color because it's close to her mother's real name.

I not only like the uniqueness of either name but the Character I sort of, kinda, in a way based her on is called October Daye. So the new name would kinda of go along with that type of name and it would sort of, kinda of, in a way be a tribute to the Daye.

axeminister
Member # 8991

In the Big Lebowski, there was a character named Maude. I had to go check to see if it was Mauve.

I prefer Sierra to Mauve tho. One sounds like a name, one sounds like a color.

Just my opinion, and you know the common phrase about opinions.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Maude is a name. There was a sitcom with that name a while back.

But Mauve is a color. If Seanan McGuire can name her character after a month I can name mine after a color. Of course to really adopt the same type of name I would need a different last name. Something that goes with the color. But that would be true for Sierra too but the last name would have to do with mountains. Sierra Lake maybe or Trail or something with an old fashion spelling.

But I still haven't made up my mind. I do want something more unique than I have though.

Smiley
Member # 9379

Have you thought of the name Sienna? I have a friend who named her daughter that. I thought it was a cool name.
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see it going either way, though I've not had a chance to read your work yet, but women's names often (fittingly so) have feminine quality which is usually linked to ideas like grace, beauty, etc...and often to subcatagories like color. So I don't see why Mauve would be too unusual. I mean Jade is a name. Lily. Rose. Summer? Honeysuckle =)

Mauve sounds good to me. I think of a person with a sobriety about them, it feels a bit weightier than Sierra which sounds slightly flighty to me (which is odd because the Sierra mountains are not flighty).

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.